Help

Magnolia Room

Pencil consequence

>

afmom2boys

Pencil consequence
Old 03-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This may sound silly- so I apologise in advance. My children are a great group of kids but it has been a long year in getting them to take care of things. I have especially had trouble getting them to pick up pencils. I haven't caught them in the act BUT find pencils all over the floor in the afternoon. I have discussed this with them and after a day or so I go back to finding several. We are down to like less than 48 pencils. I originally thought that one lap walking recess per pencil would be a good idea, but reading another post... maybe this isn't the greatest idea. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Socks

Logical Consequence
Old 03-15-2011, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The logical consequence would be to take away the pencils since they cannot take care of them. You could pass them out when they are needed and collect them again at the end of the assignment, counting to be sure you have all of the pencils you gave out.

When I notice the floor needs to be picked up at the end of the day, I'll tell my students that each of them needs to find 5 things on the floor that needs to be put away or thrown away. I give them one minute to do this. It's a little chaotic but it gets the job done and it's only one minute of time!

I hope that helps!

katsmeowsd

Cleanliness Box
Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was having trouble with the floors staying neat (we only get vacuumed like once a week). There were always pens, pencils, sticky notes on the floor (this was even pointed out by my prinicpal...embarassing!) So we had discussion and I brought it back to the class rules (take care of our things). We talked about how it is important to take care of the class materials and keep our class clean. I made a "Cleanliness Box" made out of an empty tissue box. I made slips that said "I saw someone keeping our class clean today" with several lines after for the person to acknowledge a classmate who picked up or cleaned up without asking to do so. At the end of the week, I pull out the slips from the box, read it aloud and give the slip to the student (it will say things like "I saw Johnny picking up a pencil and put it in the cup" I saw Mary pick up a grape in the cafeteria and throw it away in the trash") We kept tally of how many "cleanliness" notes were written. They loved it! Now they do it without having to be reminded. We've also done a kindness box and teamwork box.

afmom2boys

Old 03-16-2011, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Great ideas! Thanks to the both of you!

peggyteach

end-of-day pick up
Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it's fun to add some wild music for the one minute pick-up and let them move to the music. It makes it a fun chore.

I think it's Atlas Pencil Co. that sells a gross of misprinted pencils for about $10. Well worth the investment.

EarthMonkey

Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do a once a week cleaning party. The whole class cleans and dances. They pick the spot to focus on and get to work. They love it, the kids would like to do it every day. At the end of the cleaning I do a short freeze dance.

Tessa_Rue

Old 08-03-2011, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know this is an old message, but wanted to share.

I had tons of problems with pencils...my firsties would continually be losing them, arguing over which pencils were "theirs", wanting to continually sharpen them, intentionally breaking the lead, etc.

My solution was to write names on the pencils with sharpie. Each student got 2 sharpened pencils on Mondays with their names. If one pencil broke during the day, they had another one to go to. If they lost one, same thing. If they should happen to lose both of theirs, they had to use a pencil from the box of stub pencils/yucky pencils. No more arguing about "that's my pencil", if there was a pencil on the floor it was easy to get it to its owner, etc.

I didn't do any sharpening during the day. At the end of the day pencils that needed to get sharpened went into the pencil jar to be taken care of, they would be passed back after getting sharpened. At the end of the week I would check their pencils and replace any that were getting really short or missing.

It was crazy how well this worked! It drastically reduced lost pencils and the amount of sharpening I had to do!