Help

Special Education

tens and ones

>

Jean

tens and ones
Old 09-28-2012, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student with low cognitive; she is working on the 1st grade level.What can I do to teach her place value, tens and ones?

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

Manipulatives
Old 09-28-2012, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I say use lts of Manipulatives to help her understand that 10 ones make 1 ten. Then start her to counting by 10. A fun game my students love is magic number. You choose a number (30) and go around and everyone counts by 10 until you get to the magic number. Whoever says the magic number has to sit and it continues until one person is standing. I usually join my students so that our group is a little bigger.

Also, google 1st grade Common Core place value. Lots of god stuff will come up.

Try National Library of Virtual Manipulatives to let her practice on the computer or on a SmartBoard.

Hope this helps.
expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 09-28-2012, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have base ten blocks? I would think that would be the most tactile, visual, multi sensory approach.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

common core for 1st grade tens/ones is GARBAGE. I'm having to take my kids out and go over basics because they don't understand the concept of what makes a ten much less how many tens are in 57.

We're using cuisenaire rods (tens rods, ones units). I have a laminated work mat that shows a t-chart with tens and ones written at top. they build their number with manipulatives then write it with the dry erase marker.

the hardest part is that the ones is on the right and not the left (opposite of reading- which is left to right)

then, the "teens" place are said funny unlike the 20s-90s where the tens number is said first. Unlike 13 (thirteen) where the ones place is said first.

SO CONFUSING for the babies.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

expertteacher

Maybe
Old 09-29-2012, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If this is your students first year on CCSS curriculum they are going to have a difficult time understanding it because they missed the foundation in Kindergarten.

I was suggesting that the person google Common Core for teacher created activities to help with understanding.

I do hope you and your kids have a great year. This is our first year implementing CCSS and it is challenging because of the gap.

expertteacher is offline   Reply With Quote