Help

BusyBoard

Working for tutoring company

>

teacherwriter

Working for tutoring company
Old 01-03-2014, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anybody work for Sylvan, Huntington or one of the tutoring companies? Some local centers have job openings that I'm exploring. I'd really appreciate some info on how they work, what they pay, resources etc.

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

I haven't worked
Old 01-03-2014, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

there, but I hear the tutoring companies, especially Sylvan, are terrible to work for. I wonder if you googled it on PT if a thread would come up. It was on this site that I read about how bad they are.

I am thinking of opening a tutoring business out of my house. I think I can make about 2/3 of my income, and go on my husband's insurance. I still have to check out laws, etc.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Rambling thoughts...
Old 01-03-2014, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think setting up a company would be difficult, but not impossible. I can't afford to quit full-time, so I wouldn't set up a company, but just work as an independent contractor. Some teachers tutor after school in our building, but I'm evidently out of the referral loop. (The learning support teacher doesn't like me and has never referred anyone to me.) Personally, I'd be happy bypassing the tutor companies and picking up a few individual hourly-pay clients off-site. When I go to Barnes & Noble on the weekend, the place is packed with tutors and clients. I can't figure out how to break into that market. There's no bulletin board or anything. I tried posting on our church bulletin board, but got nothing.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

old mare

tutoring
Old 01-03-2014, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Why not try your local library? Mine has a children's section separate from the rest of the library and it has a bulletin board where I placed ads. I also introduced myself to the children's librarian and give her my oral resume. I basically teach elementary math up to 6th grade. It seems to be going well. I can usually book a study room at the library too. It is convenient for me and the parents.
old mare is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvstoTeach

Tutoring
Old 01-03-2014, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Absolutely agree with the library connection

You may also want to talk to any other teachers on site for possible candidates for tutoring...bypass the learning support teacher....talk to teachers directly on kids who need help to progress in their learning.

Good luck! I tutored for about 10 years...stopped for about 5....thinking of doing it again!

LuvstoTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 01-04-2014, 01:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've worked for both Sylvan and Huntington. In both cases, pay is ridiculous. I was getting $11/hour at Sylvan! It's just not worth it.

Now I have a couple of private tutoring students. (I may have poached then from the centers. Shh!) I make more, their parents pay less, and I can actually help them with what they need instead of throwing canned assignments at them while trying to juggle 2 other students at the same time. Win-win.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

anngirl

Old 01-04-2014, 07:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Check out Care.com for your area. I have gotten a number of great tutoring jobs through this site and I can name my own price. Earn at least double if not triple what you would make at one of those centers.
anngirl is offline   Reply With Quote