Help

Special Education

personal space

>

Jean

personal space
Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student with significant delays. She is not aware of her social boundaries and is often out of her seat. Also she gets into others personal space and hangs on them or touches things that do not belong to her . What can I do ?

I

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 02-13-2014, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a boy like that. We gave him designated space by putting painter's tape on the floor around his desk. It gives him room to stand by his desk and back his chair up, and no one sits in arm's length. He also has a walking line in the class that is for his break time.

He gets points and rewards for staying in his area.

As far as hanging all over people...we're still working on that.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 02-13-2014, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the tape around the desk idea. ALso you could use a hula hoop (or a pizza box) that gives her a visual representation of how far away she needs to be from people (she wears the hula hoop or holds the pizza box in front of her, flat). (If you google, you'll probably find lessons revolving around this, obviously the hula hoop is for lesson and practice, not a permanent solution ) If she's got her hula hoop (physically or metaphorically), she can't be touching others or hanging on to them. Touching their personal things is a bit different, but the desk space should help with that.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
xdxd

xdxd

Old 02-13-2014, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We do the duct tape for personal space (on desk and around chair ) and walking line on floor. It works really well. We are also reading social stories about personal space. When walking the student will either clasp her hands in front or behind her or we give her an object to hold. It has cut down a lot on grabbing for people and things. It will take a while but it does get better.