First Grade

Poetry Journals

>

beachbumteach

Poetry Journals
Old 07-16-2014, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I plan to implement poetry journals in my classroom this fall. We will read the poems as a quick shared read daily. Then, at the end of the week I will give the students a copy of the poem to add to their journals. This will be another option for students to read during D5 for read to self and read to someone.

Question---Should I use 3 ring binders and hole punch the poems OR should I have the students glue a smaller version of the poem into a composition notebook? I have both sets of materials already handy so I do not have to purchase these materials. Just trying to figure out which way would be better. Thanks!

beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

coffeemate

Old 07-16-2014, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

With my first graders last year I just used a plain 3-pronged duo tang that they kept in their literacy bins (book bins.) Kids often chose to re-read their poetry during D5 time and it worked great since it was already right at their fingertips.
coffeemate is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

duo tang
Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi,
Are you referring to a 3 prong folder with pockets inside? Im not sure.
If so, did you add the poems yourself or did you have the kiddos do it? Thanks!!

LCTCHR

Poetry Journals
Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have tried it both ways, and it may depend on your students. For me, my students are given the poem on Monday to glue in their journal. Usually there is a picture to color related to the poem. This is their morning work, and the poems are ready to use. I use my poems everyday. Here are some of the things I do with the poems depending on the poem. Choose which task you would like to emphasize for the day. We locate rhyming words and highlight the chunks. This is great especially when the words rhyme, but the rimes are different, such as tree and key. We will use a different colored highlighters and locate high frequency words. I use green markers to highlight the first letter of the phrase/sentence. Use red markers to highlight end punctuation.I hope this is helpful.
LCTCHR is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

I use the folders
Old 07-16-2014, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

with the 3 prongs. I spend a little time at the beginning of the year teaching the kids how to manage the prongs, and then once a week they add the copy of the poem to the folder as a part of their morning work. They keep the folders in their book boxes for reading. I do find that they get used pretty hard, and I usually keep a set of replacement folders in reserve for mid-year. It's still cheaper than using the composition books, and you don't have to worry about cutting down papers or over enthusiastic gluers that glue their pages together.

booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

coffeemate

Old 07-17-2014, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yep, folders with 3 prongs. I did a lot of modeling at the beginning of the year for how to add papers to the folders correctly. I ended up with about half the kids who could do it properly and the other half who could be helped by them.
coffeemate is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use the 3 ring binders. They are sturdy and the students figure out how to add poems pretty easily. I put a page number on my poems so it is easier to make sure the pages are in the correct order. One thing that I needed to buy was the little sticker holes in case a page tears out. I've had the same pack of holes for years.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Dan

Tried both
Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I've used both but the little prongs sliced open too many fingers at first! I tried many ways of avoiding this, but now I use the 1.5 in. three ring binder. The kids add it themselves and no one needs a bandaid. I teach them how to add a hole reinforcer, and rarely are they needed after the first time.(Except one little person who is somehow very hasty and unorganized each year.)
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

miketeacher

Great Idea
Old 07-17-2014, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Does any one have any large files of good poems to use?
miketeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachReadRun

Poems to share
Old 07-17-2014, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Would be greatly appreciated. TIA

TeachReadRun is offline   Reply With Quote

Lily2teach

Great ideas
Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for sharing your great ideas!
Lily2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Scholastic Teacher Express
Old 07-20-2014, 10:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Scholastic Teacher Express has a $1 dollar sale several times a year. That's where I got my poetry books. You may want to sign up for their emails.

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/
The sign up is near the bottom of the page.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

smilezala1982

Where to find good poems
Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Where do you find good poems that are on a 1st grade level? Are they poems you will just read to them, or will they also be writing their own poems? I don't like poetry, so I usually teach it as little as possible, but I would like to make myself do it a little more. Do you choose poems that are with your theme or season, or just nursery rhymes?
smilezala1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

candidcath

Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've used 3 ring binders and distributed poetry with the pages already punched. We review and the children illustrate the pages. In May we collect the books, have the children make covers and bind their collections. We invite parents in for lunch one day toward the end of the year. Their book is one of the treasures they share and read to their parent. Throughout the year, the children know what will be happening at the end so they are all very motivated to practice their fluency whenever they have a free moment! It works really well for us.
candidcath is offline   Reply With Quote

candidcath

Old 07-21-2014, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I include poems throughout the year related to our year together. Some are seasonal or events (1st day of school, birthdays, tournaments at school, etc.) . Sometimes I use a poem that is included in our lesson for the week or related to a field trip we have. My goal is to use it for fluency practice so the ideas are really anything you want them to be. I google subjects, get books from the library and use the $1 ebook from scholastic someone else mentioned.
candidcath is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

to Smilezala
Old 07-21-2014, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Hi,
I incorporatehe chart poems as a shared reading experience daily. The first day, I always read the poem aloud to the students as I point to each word. Then we echo read and choral the poem together throughout the week. Yes, I choose all kinds of poems! i have been collecting poems since 2000 when I started teaching first grade. I use seasonal poems, holiday poems, poems that go along with our science/social studies units, etc. The kids LOVE poems.

beachbumteach

To Candidcath
Old 07-21-2014, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Hi,
I just love your idea of inviting the parents in and sharing the poems. What a nice day it must be for all! Thanks for sharing that great idea. I can see this for Mother's Day.

Shar64

Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Hi! I use poetry journals as an additional shared reading each week. I introduce the poem, that coincides either with the season, holiday, or curriculum, Monday during morning meeting. I read it through using correct phrasing and pointing to the words. Then I read a line at a time, pointing to the words, and children echo. We discuss unknown words and the "meaning"of the poem. On Tuesday we echo read 2x and usually discuss rhymes or lack there of and any patterns. On Wednesday we echo once and then the children choral read. I pick a language arts activity, eg nouns, verbs, contractions, etc. to review. Thursday, the children read it aloud and then I read it to them as they close their eyes and visualize it. We discuss what they pictured. Friday for morning work the children get a copy of the poem. They cut it out and paste it into their journal (I use a marble type composition book.) and illustrate it. Later, we highlight all their word wall words in it. The poetry journal is something they read during independent reading or when they have finished their work. Also, for a literacy center, I write the poem line by line on sentence strips and the children put them in correct order. Periodically, I send home the journals for the children to read to their parents. My students love this and look forward to getting their new poem each week.
Shar64 is offline   Reply With Quote

smilezala1982

Great ideas!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I'm glad I came back to this post b/c I have ideas for a poetry journal now! Thanks for the help, even though this wasn't my post!!

smilezala1982

Old 08-01-2014, 09:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I just thought of another question...what if I wanted to do a three prong folder and have poems, nursery rhymes, and seasonal/theme songs? Would that confuse the students to use all three in the same folder? I am thinking I will separate the 3 categories by using dividers... Thoughts?

jov

Old 08-02-2014, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I put them all together. I tell the kids that nursery rhymes are a special kind of children's poem from long ago and songs are poetry set to music. You could always put a special sticker or symbol on the nursery rhymes and songs to help kids see the different types of poetry.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

Thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post! I can't wait to start using more poetry in my classroom. I know these journals will be a success! I have decided to use the comp. notebooks where the kids will glue the poem inside. Thanks again.