Help

First Grade

Four Reading Groups

>

ReeB83

Four Reading Groups
Old 08-07-2014, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So our school got a donation of supplies and there were two things on my wish list I REALLY REALLY wanted (besides desks): seat-back pouches and dry erase page protectors. I got 'em, whoooooo!!!!

They both come in four colors: blue, yellow, red and green. Not my choice of colors or quantity of colors but I figured it would be easy to use these colors to organize supplies for group work and super dumb to exclude one color because it doesn't fit my three-tier grouping plan.

So why not a fourth group? I found every year that my low group was always split between kids who kinda get it and kids that will most likely need to be referred, but that process is LONG at our school.

Has anybody done four reading groups? How did it work?

ReeB83 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcj1281

Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have made groups using these four

HIGH

medium high

medium low

low
mcj1281 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 08-07-2014, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always have 4 guided reading groups. They are still flexible and often change, however, I find that it is much easier to meet their needs.
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Table groups?
Old 08-08-2014, 01:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think I'd just use the chair pouches for table groups. I think using them for guided reading colors might mean they'd have to change around a lot. Also, some kids may not be as kind to them as others. It would be frustrating as a child to switch reading groups (even move up) and now have to trade chair pouches and use one that wasn't as nice as the one you left. Then you could put labels in the pockets (don't they usually have a pocket for this?) with a sticker to identify reading group. This would be way easier to move around.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 08-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just like mcj1281, I have always had 4-5 reading groups depending on my enrollment. This year I will have 29 kids, so that's five groups of 5 or 6 kids.

I agree with Lillybabe. I would not identify reading groups by their classroom color. Kids move up and down quite a bit during the year and the color change would likely throw some kids way off. Like it or not, kids will identify one color as the smart group and another as the dumb group, even if they don't say it out loud. Imagine the poor kid who moves to a needier reading group and his new color is displayed for all to see on the back of his chair. I would leave the colors for general organization not related to academic or behavioral performance.

Hope this helps.

jov is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

groups
Old 08-08-2014, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had five different reading groups last year because I had such a diverse group of little readers..they always changed though...students moved in and out of groups constantly.
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

In our district
Old 08-09-2014, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

we administer DRAs and other tests. When we get the results we have to make groups of students who are within the same level or one above or below. So many years we have to have 6 groups and maybe meet one or two students individually. It is a lot of planning and a lot of work, but yes it can be done.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeB83

Old 08-11-2014, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Okay, so I get that using the colors for the reading groups was not my best idea. Grouping is always my weak point. But this is where I run into issues: there are 4 colors but 5 tables with 5 kids.
This is a stupid thing to worry about, isn't it? I always get hung up on some minor detail during class setup time.

jov

Rainbow?
Old 08-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

How about if one table is the "rainbow" group with different colors? You could attach/staple/sew a rainbow icon or sticker on each item. Just a thought.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeB83

Jov
Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I JUST HAD THAT SAME IDEA!

Another thing: I've always stuck with mixing up reading levels in seating arrangements but that turns group time into musical chairs since my room is small and going to a center is not really an option (except for library and listening).
I was thinking about putting each center in a dishpan. They're working on the same skill (like blending) and some kids are working on higher level words than others.