Help

The Job Search

Panic

>

thinkerbell12

Panic
Old 08-10-2014, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am starting to panic! I have had only two interviews the whole summer and no offers. My DD starts college in a week and I don't have a job! I know many people get hired in August but I'm losing faith. Feeling old, too experienced, too expensive...

thinkerbell12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bbiggfoot

Bbiggfoot

Know the feeling
Old 08-10-2014, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't give up yet. I am in the same position not having a job but at least my son is finished uni. I hate being old cause they don't want to hire you. I have only had one interview this summer but I bet there will be more jobs when school starts. I will be thinking about you and hoping and praying things will work out

lovingsped

never too old
Old 08-10-2014, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got hired at age 44 and the next teacher they hired was 53. Not every school values youth, some schools prefer more mature teachers. A lot of schools do not hire until last second or even after school starts and they get a final count on student numbers. IMO at that point principals will look for someone who comes in with a "I've been around the block and I can handle' vibe instead of a "I'm new and might need some hand holding' vibe.
You'll be great!
lovingsped is offline   Reply With Quote

thinkerbell12

Thank you
Old 08-11-2014, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's so hard hearing about everyone starting back to school. I had really hoped to have a job and some time to plan.
A little back story for anyone who's interested:
I taught full time for 9 years and took some time off to raise my kids. I lost my tenure when I resigned. During that time I also got a masters. It has been a bumpy ride back. First year, sub, volunteer, and maternity leave sub. Second year, full time resource. Let go due to budget. Third year, full time resource at a different district (25,000 pay cut from previous district). Non-renewed with no reason given except possibly a budget cutting super.
I have excellent recommendations and evaluations, but can't seem to get my foot in the door. I'm nervous about how all these "false starts" will look on my resume.
Thanks for coming to my pity-party!
thinkerbell12 is offline   Reply With Quote

misskeke

Old 08-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've been going on interviews all summer today's 3 interviews makes a total of 11 and haven't had an offer yet schools starts in 2 more weeks all I can say is Thank God for closed doors and when it's our time nothing can stop that Best wishes in your job search for every no means we are getting close to a yes

misskeke is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

October
Old 08-11-2014, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I got hired in October two different times in my teaching career. Keep your head up...pray hard and ask for guidance for your career. Hope it all works out in your favor.
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote