No Cubbies/Hooks for Student Belongings! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

No Cubbies/Hooks for Student Belongings!

>

DolphinBeach

No Cubbies/Hooks for Student Belongings!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I saw my new classroom last week. It's fine except for one thing... there are no hooks or cubbies or anything for students to keep their belongings (jackets, bookbags, lunchboxes). I asked the teacher who had the classroom before me and she said that she just had all the kids put their things in a giant pile! That idea does not appeal to me at all; I want my classroom to be as organized and functional as possible. I thought about buying command hooks, but the ones necessary to hold the weight of a bookbag are pretty expensive.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on how to store all of the students' belongings? Thanks!!

DolphinBeach is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 08-10-2014, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have room for storage crates where they could place their belongings? There would be an expense there, too, but it is definitely better than a pile if you have the space.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

smannes

Old 08-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Could you make it? My school didn't have them either. One of our teachers made them for our floor (3 classrooms) by using a board and attaching hooks to them that she got from target. She then attached the board to the wall. I was just in target the other day and saw the hooks for $3.79/2.
smannes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sushigirl13

Closet?
Old 08-10-2014, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had room in one of my closets for book bags, lunch boxes went on a shelf and jackets went on the back of chairs some of my teammates used bins.
Sushigirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Seussical

If you have room for storage crates
Old 08-10-2014, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

and cannot afford to buy them--check with your cafeteria and use the milk crates!
***It appears that in some states this isn't possible--where I am it was OK--check with your cafeteria and see if it is possible or not.

Last edited by Seussical; 08-11-2014 at 06:14 AM..
Seussical is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Old 08-10-2014, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Isn't there any way you can plead your case with either the principal or maintenance people? I feel that hooks, lockers, or whatever is a BASIC in a classroom.

This is a health issue. When I read your post about the previous teacher piling them in a big pile, I thought of the spread of lice, children with allergies or asthma having difficulty breathing because their coat was above/below one that reeks of smoke. What about animal allergies? A jacket of a severely allergic placed with another that has cat/dog hair could wreak havoc.

Even with hooks, our students put their belongings in a bag that hung from the hook.

Talk to school personnel!
Beach Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

not sure what grade you teach
Old 08-10-2014, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I moved into a school with no cubbies or hooks...it was a looooooooong winter. snow pants, boots, backpacks, lunch boxes and jackets. The next summer my husband built high shelves for storage and he installed hooks under the bottom shelf.

Fire Code here doesn't allow open cubbies in the hallway only metal lockers. It amazes me of people who design schools.

With lice and the increase in bed bugs, I think student storage should be an important issue.

The hooks we bought were double hooks-looked like an "anchor". Hope you can get something in place.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 08-10-2014, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Seussical: Cafeterias are not allowed to give out milk crates. They're to be returned to the dairy vendors for reuse. I worked in a grocery store, and we had to go through training about that.

Just be careful about using bins if that's what you're considering. I've heard of lice spreading that way.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 08-10-2014, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Have you asked either your principal or custodian?

I've found that if I ask, I often receive.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

DolphinBeach

Great ideas!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you all for the great ideas. I will email the principal and talk to the custodial staff. I agree- having a place for students to keep their belongings is a must.

On a different note, I have been teaching for five years, and although I have students with lice, it has never spread through coats or jackets. I looked it up here: http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/he...info/faqs.html. Although I guess it's not impossible, it's not likely for lice to spread without direct (or at least very close) contact.

DolphinBeach is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

never had hooks either
Old 08-10-2014, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I never had hooks either for students to hang their belongings. Backpacks and jackets went on backs of their chairs....I used a large laundry basket for lunchboxes. I showed students how to put their backpacks on the back of their chair using one strap only. This helped to keep the backpacks on their chairs.
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachandBowl

Old 08-10-2014, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

If you end up not being able to get hooks, I was once in a classroom where the teacher used those plastic storage bins. She put them by the door in the back of the room and there was one bin for each group so you wouldn't need to buy too many. Jackets and similar items went on the backs of chairs to help prevent lice being spread...or I should say whatever else is on their jacket from being transferred to each student. You never know.
TeachandBowl is offline   Reply With Quote