Help

Special Education

personal space

>

Jean

personal space
Old 04-13-2016, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a 10th grade girl who still has trouble with personal space. She wants to hug and cling on classmates. What can I do?

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-13-2016, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We usually focus on teaching "expected" and "unexpected" behaviors with students like this, making sure that everyone that works with the student uses that language. I believe it's part of the social thinking curriculum- there are tons of resources if you google it. Basically, you teach the student that unexpected behaviors make people feel uncomfortable and expected behaviors make people feel good. Every time the student is clinging on others, you would say, "_____, that is unexpected behavior. It makes people feel uncomfortable when you are too close. The expected behavior is saying "hi" when you see a friend." We have some kids that have jars where they earn "expected" and "unexpected" sticks throughout the day, with rewards for getting more expected than unexpected. I'm in elementary so obviously it's a bit different, but something like that might be appropriate if your student has a more significant disability. If you want to make it seem "older" you could do something similar with a behavior chart.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Like the terminology
Old 04-14-2016, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like the use of expected/unexpected. I think it is a good idea to use across all classrooms.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote