Help

The VENT

I am so bored

>

GreyhoundGirl

I am so bored
Old 06-04-2019, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm ready to check out for the summer. Everything is done. I have a splitting headache. I need to drive to St. Louis as soon as school is over. My AP is an anal retentive control freak and is making everyone wait until 2:00 (the earliest we're technically supposed to check out). Do you think other admin across the district are doing this? Nope.

So, I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs and eating junk food (not helping my headache ) when I could be on the road.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-04-2019, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd be parked outside APs office so you ate first! If she/he asks tell the truth you want to be first so you can get on the road to your summer school job.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-04-2019, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sheís walking around the building with her cart. 3 of us in my wing have asked her to come to us first.

NJ Teacher

That stinks...
Old 06-04-2019, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I remember before direct deposit, we used to have a checkout list where we needed signatures from everyone from the head custodian to the librarian to the secretary. They would make us give in the final signed list and then go see the principal, who would make a big deal of handing you the check. Once direct deposit came out, they couldn't really hold anything over you. Now, it's just handing a few things in to the secretary like your plan book and a few other items.

There have been some years when we have had to stay past 10:00, but never as late as you. What is the point of that? Because contractually they can? What is infuriating to me is that in our district, we have one more day than the kids. We can't seem to negotiate letting us go the same day as the students if we are all checked out and our rooms are good to go.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 06-04-2019, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

They made us stay until 2:45 exactly and said no you canít go early and you better be doing something. Very odd.

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-04-2019, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

These types of admin are hypocritical clock worshipers who are actually inviting you to stop doing teacher stuff @2:45pm. No more working weekends or nights to get your job done .Remember that in the fall. No working off the clock.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote
ISecondThat

ISecondThat

Old 06-04-2019, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Tick tock, tick tock, eyes on the clock. That's right Anna. I second that. No one is going to value teachers if we don't value ourselfs or demand be treated as professionals. Why to buy milk if it is free?

WordFountain

Ugh ... the same
Old 06-05-2019, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

They make us do a scavenger hunt like checklist - running around to get signatures & turning things in. They also make us stay 3 days past students last day and come for 1 full week early for PD before school starts

One year I was finished & bored that I watched Downton Abbey on my laptop in my room with the school nurse
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-05-2019, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have that stupid list, too. No one on the list wants to be responsible for signing or following up on it. I bet my name ends up on it last year.

Custodian has a list about 10 things long. However, if you ask the custodian, he will tell you not to do it as it makes things harder for them. How in the world can they clean the carpets when they have to move a mountain of stuff piled precariously in the middle of your room? Pity the people who don't ask...

Principal has something under hers that isn't even a thing anymore.

I was in no hurry to leave this year and was exhausted when I finally did. Usually I am ready to go much earlier... Moving rooms was tough.

Hope you made it to your destination last night. Does that mean you are still doing summer school?
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-05-2019, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

So I ended up napping in the nurseís office for 35 min or so because I had a raging headache, then we played football in the hall then we sat in my team mateís classroom and chatted for 45 min and had a great time.

If thatís what the district wants to pay me for, so be it. Ridiculous, but whatever.

luvmycat

Controlled here too
Old 06-05-2019, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Yep, my P is pushing that one too. In my 30 years teaching Iíve never had to stay site time on the last day.
And today is my final day EVER!
Afraid to leave, I donít want them to hold up my final pension numbers with a dispute over my sick time.
1 hour and 5 mins to go!
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-05-2019, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've always wished they would get rid of that last work day and just open the building up for people who actually want to come in. Every year, the vast majority of us are just sitting around waiting to check out. Our check out procedure isn't long or complicated. This year I even tried to go slowly and was still done right away. In a previous district, they let people use an annual leave day for that day if they wanted (I have tons, so I'd totally do that).

Thankfully this year we only had to stay until 10:30. I can't imagine just sitting there until 2! My teammate and I are doing more Learner's Edge courses this summer to move up again on the pay scale, and we realized too late that we should have registered early so we could have been working on our first class during that time. I could have easily gotten at least 1/3 of a class done!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 06-05-2019, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This is when I am once again thankful for the grace and good sense of a principal who was a long time teacher. On our last day, (last week) we were able to leave immediately after we signed the time sheet, as long we already had everything done. I was out by 9 a.m. Her feeling was why punish people who work hard to get done with things in a timely way?
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-05-2019, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've had principals like that too. The great ones never forget being on the front line. Unfortunately what I have observed over the years is that when teachers lay around,chat and otherwise do not look busy,some districts take away prep days at the beginning of the year. This is also the clock watching mentality. Our 5 prep days disappeared and so did many of our conference days because teachers had worked ahead and found some time here and there to get things done or meet with parents. Unions should be reminding teachers to always stay busy on the job or that last day will turn into a useless meeting.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote