Help

The VENT

Bummed

>

checkerjane

Bummed
Old 06-04-2019, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had an interview for a gen ed spot today at another district, and I don’t feel like it went well. It only lasted 30 minutes and they seemed really hurried at the end. I feel that was my one shot to get the hell out of sped, and I might have blown it but don’t know how. I answered all their questions honestly and as clearly as possible. I’m the closest to devastated I’ve been since I found out they (my current district) hired outside the district for ANOTHER gen ed spot...that I’m highly qualified for and expressed interest in. I sent a follow up/thank you e-mail and didn’t get a response. I feel so bleh.

Last edited by checkerjane; 06-04-2019 at 06:59 PM..
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

1959mm

Old 06-05-2019, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you tell us what some of the interview questions were?
1959mm is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Hang in there...
Old 06-05-2019, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The interview process is really hard. Often, it is impossible to tell what they are looking for I also found that particularly in interviews that seem hurried or ones where they tell you everything about the district in general and then ask you if you have any questions, they already have someone in mind are are going through the legalities of posting and interviewing. i wish you well in landing something else if this one doesn't work out.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-05-2019, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Can you tell us what some of the interview questions were?
The obligatory ďtell us about yourselfĒ

Strengths/weaknesses

Approach to discipline

Dealing with kids who experienced trauma

PLC

Balanced literacy approach

Math philosophy

Curriculum

checkerjane

Old 06-05-2019, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
The interview process is really hard. Often, it is impossible to tell what they are looking for I also found that particularly in interviews that seem hurried or ones where they tell you everything about the district in general and then ask you if you have any questions, they already have someone in mind are are going through the legalities of posting and interviewing. i wish you well in landing something else if this one doesn't work out.
That’s the most frustrating part, IMO. I don’t know of anything I would have/could have done differently. If I get a courtesy call saying I didn’t get it, I’m going to ask what I could have done differently.

I sent them thank you/follow up e-mails yesterday and haven’t gotten a response to those, either.

Last edited by checkerjane; 06-05-2019 at 09:21 AM..

kahluablast

Old 06-05-2019, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Often it isn't anything you do that results in not getting a position. Sometimes connections are made through personalities (we can feel that a person is a better fit than some) . Sometimes it is a philosophy that comes through to sway it one way or another - but you wouldn't want to change your personal philosophy to fit into a position, especially if it isn't "you." I think less times it is just one little thing that is said or isn't said that makes the choice.

Don't give up. Your chance is right around the corner. It will happen!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-05-2019, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Often it isn't anything you do that results in not getting a position. Sometimes connections are made through personalities (we can feel that a person is a better fit than some) . Sometimes it is a philosophy that comes through to sway it one way or another - but you wouldn't want to change your personal philosophy to fit into a position, especially if it isn't "you." I think less times it is just one little thing that is said or isn't said that makes the choice.

Don't give up. Your chance is right around the corner. It will happen
!
I think this is the thing that sucks the most. This position was seriously my only shot to get out of the hellhole Iím in. I have to resign by June 15th or my superintendent wonít let me out of my contract.

Countingdown

You never know
Old 06-05-2019, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I had an interview like that once and I called my mom afterwards and said it was just weird. They hardly asked me any questions and I was only in the interview for about 25 minutes. I was positive that I didnít get the job. I felt really good about the one I had the day before the weird one. I was in that interview for about 40 minutes. I really felt like I clicked with the principal and the teachers. Shockingly I didnít get the job where I had an awesome interview but I did get the job with the weird interview. You just can never tell.
Countingdown is online now   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-05-2019, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I didnít get it. Iím devastated. The principal said she thought the person she chose was better suited for the grade level, even though I have experience with this grade level.

I have 12 years of experience, five different grade levels, and had references of three people who are still with, or were with, the district. Two of those people are current and/or former administrators within this district. Iím stuck in the same hellhole of a situation as last year.

Purplecrayons

Old 06-06-2019, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Iím sorry. Is it special ed you donít like or how your district implements special education. It sounds from previous posts that your district doesnít provide much support and that you may enjoy special ed in a different district. My first job was at a horrible school district that provided zero support, I felt like quitting teaching all together but I tried a different district and itís night and day.

Purplecrayons is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-06-2019, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement and advice everyone. I greatly appreciate them all.

The director visited with me about a sped job, but it was for 3 and 4 year-olds. That would not be a good fit for me, by my own admission. I asked her to keep me in mind if something else comes up within the next week. I only have until June 15th to get out of my contract.

Squiggly

Old 06-07-2019, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I didnít get it. Iím devastated. The principal said she thought the person she chose was better suited for the grade level, even though I have experience with this grade level.
They had already decided on the person they wanted. You were a courtesy interview to fill their minimum number of interviews before being allowed to offer. It is one of the most frustrating parts of interviewing.
Squiggly is offline   Reply With Quote