Help

The VENT

Really Confused

>

SoDone

Really Confused
Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I interviewed with a principal yesterday after interviewing with his admin team the previous week. He offered me the position, said he would phone HR with his recommendation, and they would be in touch about the paperwork within a few days. Awesome.

Today, he calls me to tell me they've decided to go in a different direction and the position isn't available. I asked if there was anything wrong with my interviewing or references but he said nothing was wrong other than they had decided to go in a different direction (he said that phrase 3-4 times). Is this a common occurrence? Is this "principal code" for something actually wrong? I'm so discouraged.

SoDone is offline   Reply With Quote

elmo33

Terrible
Old 06-06-2019, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

He gave you a verbal offer and then took it back? That is so unprofessional. I didnít think you could do that. I would call HR and ask why your verbal job offer was taken back?
elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Confused
Old 06-06-2019, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No answer but this would confuse and anger me. It sounds like he offered you the job before he was technically allowed to. It sounds fishy and Iím sorry.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Should be
Old 06-06-2019, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

angry but it's mainly my pride that's hurt. I feel like I've been rejected after a first date . I don't feel like I'm getting the true story.

gradymidget

Old 06-06-2019, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would be so irritated and upset too! But look at it this way. You probably dodged a bullet. What kind of principal would he have turned out to be? Probably one you couldnít trust. And he showed his true colors by being unprofessional and rescinding his offer.

gradymidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Here4TheFun

Here4TheFun

Old 06-06-2019, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sounds awful. He owes you a real explanation. I would call HR. He should of checked all references and paperwork before the job was offered. Just be thankful, you didn't turn down any other job offer for them.

I happened to me one time kind off. The P offered me the job and I accepted. A day later, the director calls me and said no one gets the position unless they meet with him. When I met him, that was all I needed to know. I decided to rescind my acceptance a few minutes later right. I bet, he still wonders about that. The "f" Mr. Creepo!

I am sending him a mental finger. This is not your fault. Dont you worry about a thing, may be whomever he hires quits in the middle of the year. I wouldn't be surprised. What a jerk!
'

kahluablast

Old 06-06-2019, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It does sound like the p jumped the gun and offfered something before approval. Sorry. That has got to be disappointing.

WE HAVE HAD SITUATIONS WHERe the district changed directions on something we originally planned and we often have no control over it. Doesnít help you, though.

PS forgive my yelling in that paragraph, but I am not rewriting it on my ipad. I hate typing on here.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

Around here
Old 06-06-2019, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

it would probably mean that the P liked you and you were HIS choice but HR or the Board had someone else in mind...or you failed a reference check.

We have small schools around here with no real HR dept. The Payroll secretary hands out any pertinent paperwork regarding changes in employee stuff and posts the relevant posters in the Workroom.

Offers are made "pending BOE approval." So interviews occur, candidates are selected, references checked, selections contacted, the candidate accepts or declines, then it goes to Board of Ed for approval. IF the Board approves, the formal offer is made with the relevant paperwork signed then. If the Board does not approve (or a reference check revealed something,) the verbal offer is rescinded.

So the P might be very well telling the truth when he says that you did nothing wrong. It still sucks but he might keep you in mind for another position or any changes coming up.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

elmo33

I agree
Old 06-06-2019, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

With good-enough he probably did like you and someone overruled him. Maybe send him an email thanking him for the opportunity and if anything else opens up keep you in mind- if he is a nice guy he will do that or pass your name in to someone in a nearby district. Itís hard to do when youíre upset, but it might be good in the long run..
elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 06-06-2019, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm thinking he did like you. Maybe there was someone within the school/district who wanted the position and that person had priority. I would be upset too but I don't think you should take it personally.

whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

SoDone

Thanks
Old 06-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

For the cheering up! I'll send that email thanking him just in case and hope for better luck tomorrow.

Haley23

Old 06-06-2019, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would guess someone just overruled him, but if it were me, I'd be checking your references just in case someone is saying something bad. You don't want to keep going through this if that turns out to be the issue. I know there are services you can use to see what your references are saying about you, or if you happen to have a friend/family member in the education world that can help you, go that route.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 06-07-2019, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In the late 70s when I was applying for my first job, I had an interview with an excellent school district. It went very well, and the district administrators couldn't have been nicer. They were all smiles, told me I was a very strong candidate, and promised a second interview within a few weeks. As you can probably guess, there was no second interview. When I contacted them, there were some vague excuses, and they acted like they had never heard of me.

More recently, my son had a close friend from college who was looking for his first job. He had an excellent interview with a high school principal, and was just about offered the job.
Unfortunately for him, someone higher up nixed it, offering no explanation.

It is so unprofessional when school districts do this kind of thing, but it happens. Best of luck to you in your job search.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote
Osha

Osha

Old 06-07-2019, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I was basically guaranteed a job a whole back...Turns out I interviewed for a "potential vancancy" that didn't pan out. I also interviewed for another position that also turned out to be a "potential vancancy." That one didn't pan out either.

Sounds really unprofessional but I can believe it.

bteach99

Same
Old 06-07-2019, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Had a great interview, and also nothing but "we are going with a different candidate". So sorry and also sickened by the unprofessionalism.

I cannot even fathom why these people think that it's OK to do that.
bteach99 is offline   Reply With Quote