Help

The VENT

Summer is 3 days shorter...

>

Haley23

Summer is 3 days shorter...
Old 06-06-2019, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I work in the tiniest district and somehow they cannot seem to get their act together to get anyone any information. I've been checking my email this summer only because we still have an opening on my team and I want to be included on the interviews if I'm able to go. We have been out of school for 2.5 weeks now.

I just saw an email from my P stating that I will need to go to a 3 day training before district PD days for a new literacy program the district is implementing. In the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. I had no special plans for those days and I'll be paid extra for them as they're outside of contract- and I could really use the money.

However, what if I had a fabulous vacation planned? I did a really good job not checking my email on weekends/breaks this school year...what if I hadn't looked ahead of time? If you're going to pull this crap, you have to TELL people! The only reason I'm not traveling this summer (other than to visit family) is because I'm looking for a house and can't be spending extra money. Typically I do plan some sort of vacation and it's not cool to be told during summer that it's actually ending 3 days earlier than planned. Why couldn't they figure this out when they announced the school calendar?

ETA: And another thing! No, "I'm so sorry for the late notice," or ,"I hope this doesn't interfere with your summer plans," either! Have some common courtesy!

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Summer
Old 06-07-2019, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That does stink.

Word gets around when districts act like that and then they wonder why hard to fill positions go unfilled.

Did they just decide to start this program? I forget how small district operate like that.

In my district, even if you are paid, the have to make any training outside of contract hours voluntary.

On a related note, do you find some administrators think because you don't have kids, you are more available than co-workers?
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Summer PD
Old 06-07-2019, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our district did that several years in a row. Announced on the last day of school or during first week of vacation there would be a mandatory PD smack dab in the middle of summer. And we only got a stipend, not full pay.

Eventually Union got involved. Our contract now states full pay for summer PD and enough advance notice.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

You're right.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is very inconsiderate.

Our contract requires a 30 day notice for an extra mandatory work day of any kind. We were just told about a PD in August, and technically, they are within their rights to require it. Some of us will not attend, some will. We start school very early in August, and a lot of people try to squeeze in one last get away right before.

Sorry your vacation is being encroached upon.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-07-2019, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We would usually have a heads up even if it wasnít scheduled yet.

I would probably schedule a vacation. They canít make me go. Our district wouldnít pay us either. We might get a stipend, which could be anything between $20 - $ 100, which isnít worth my vacay time.

Teachers have to start saying no to stop this stuff. As long as enough people do it -itís what is bestfor the kids, you know - it will continue. Our needs matter, too.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-07-2019, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That wouldnít set well with me, either.
checkerjane is online now   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 06-07-2019, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I was teaching PreK in Louisiana years ago, I was getting married in August a couple of weeks before school started. Suddenly, a mandatory PreK teacher training was added during the week before we started preplanning (the week I would be on my honeymoon). Thankfully, I had a wonderful principal who got me out of it, and I sat down with another teacher later to get all of the information I needed.
prechrswife is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-07-2019, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
On a related note, do you find some administrators think because you don't have kids, you are more available than co-workers?
This one certainly does. The irritating thing is that she doesn't have kids either, but she's open about the fact that she wanted them and it just didn't happen, but she realizes she would never be able to be a good P if she had to worry about kids at home...

This past year she even said things to my teammate like, "You should go home to your family. Let people who don't have kids worry about ______."

Quote:
I would probably schedule a vacation. They canít make me go. Our district wouldnít pay us either. We might get a stipend, which could be anything between $20 - $ 100, which isnít worth my vacay time.

Teachers have to start saying no to stop this stuff. As long as enough people do it -itís what is bestfor the kids, you know - it will continue. Our needs matter, too.
Normally I'm the first person to say this, and I do refuse to do many outside contract things or spend my own money on school stuff.

This just doesn't feel like the hill I'm going to die on, especially since I'm sure not going would result in me having to get the training after school with no pay later. If I truly did already have a trip scheduled or something, of course I would say I can't go.

I'm actually not taking a vacation at all this year, other than to visit family, because I just can't afford it. I'm trying to buy a house and just can't be spending any money frivolously right now. I've figured out that after taxes I will end up with at least $600 extra, which will be a big help in actually having money to do fun things this fall.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-07-2019, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Just FYI, you donít have to go anywhere to go on vacation. Friends can visit. Setting aside time for lunch or a walk, or even a cushy bath can be vacation!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Just no.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I wouldnít go. End of story.

tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

I hear you...
Old 06-09-2019, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Teachers' summers seem to be getting shorter and shorter. When I met up with my former colleagues at a party recently, they told me that the two elementary principals are having a two day workshop on the first two days school is out. It is "optional" and they will get paid for it, but still. I know that last year, before I retired, I was fried from the class I had. The last thing in the world I would have wanted to do was spend more time in the hot, school with no air-conditioning.

They also were going to be given their new students' literacy portfolios, so they could go through the data and start to form potential small groups. I generally found that when I met my students and tested them in the fall, they weren't necessarily at the F&P level the previous teacher said they were. I also wouldn't have felt like doing all that work right after school was done.

With email, (my former principal was constantly emailing us over the summer), I never truly felt like I had a break from school. And, if you opted not to take advantage of this "opportunity", you could possibly hear about it if something was taught or explained that could show up in your evaluation. After all, you had the chance to go to the workshop and opted not to.

It is all getting to be just too much. I see why many are choosing to leave the profession or retiring. That summer break is critical for many of us to step away from the draining school year.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote