Help

The VENT

This is the last one

>

checkerjane

This is the last one
Old 06-07-2019, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, I’m going to post this and then end my pity party and deal with it the best I can.

(A) I spent hours on my resume, spent hours (lots) filling out that d@mn online application, bought an interview outfit, arranged childcare, and basically made myself sick with stressing over it only to realize the position was probably filled before I even interviewed, by someone who just finished her student teaching and hasn’t even passed her certification tests.

(B) Fine, whatever. I was optimistic about the sped spot and would have gladly accepted if it had been a definite 2nd grade. I couldn’t gamble and take the chance it would wind up being 3 and 4 year-olds, which would be a horrible fit for me. Now I’m crossing my fingers that I didn’t pi$$ of the sped director. When I called and declined, I was talked really positive about her program and asked if anything became definitive in the next week she would call me. She wished me the best of luck, so I assume that door is closed.

(C) I’m throwing Hail Marys and e-mailed my resume and cover letter to two nearby districts. They don’t have any openings listed, so that sucks.

(D) How in the h*ll do some people get offers right and left???? A teacher I know got an offer and accepted. About a month later, she got an offer at a district she liked better, so she took that one.

(E) As professional courtesy, I’ve been keeping my principal in the loop about the interview I had and the sped offer. So, she knows I’m serious, but filled yet another position with an outside applicant. I honestly feel like she’s trying to push me out. Why, I have no clue.

(F) The principal sent out a Group Me message congratulating and welcoming the two NEW hires. Everyone is welcoming them. I’m not. I’m still being juvenile and petty.

Last edited by checkerjane; 06-07-2019 at 11:09 AM..
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 06-07-2019, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So sorry. The job hunting process is not easy. Keep thinking positively and being professional, something will happen for you eventually.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 06-07-2019, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Keep at it. You may be looking in an area that's harder than some others.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

New hirees can be cheaper...
Old 06-07-2019, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Not sure how much experience you have, but my district has been hiring a lot of teachers who are early in their career in terms of experience, or those just starting out. When I was hired in 1988, they gave me all 12 years of experience. I was expecting 1 year on the salary guide for every two, so that was a nice surprise. I doubt with the financial climate being what it is today, that they would do that.

A lot of our hirees also seem to have connections to the district in some way. A lot are graduates of the school system, and some have other connections such as being the daughter of a friend of the principal, and one was related to the human resources administrator. Not exactly fair, but it is definitely happening.

Good luck to you in your continued search. It definitely is a difficult and often frustrating experience for sure.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

elmo33

Keep trying
Old 06-07-2019, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do you still have your current job? But you want to move out of spec Ed? Keep applying, maybe something will open in the summer. It sounds like they have you pigeon holed into the one job... I know itís discouraging, I donít know why itís so hard to get a position when so many people seem to want to leave...

elmo33 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-07-2019, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Do you still have your current job? But you want to move out of spec Ed? Keep applying, maybe something will open in the summer. It sounds like they have you pigeon holed into the one job... I know itís discouraging, I donít know why itís so hard to get a position when so many people seem to want to leave...
Yes, I still have my current job. I canít resign until I have something else lined up. I need insurance, lol. I would like to leave sped, but Iíd take a sped spot at the district I interviewed at because they have a really good program with a lot of support. They just have 3 and 4 year-old program opening now, and that wouldnít be a good fit for me.

Quote:
Not sure how much experience you have, but my district has been hiring a lot of teachers who are early in their career in terms of experience, or those just starting out. When I was hired in 1988, they gave me all 12 years of experience. I was expecting 1 year on the salary guide for every two, so that was a nice surprise. I doubt with the financial climate being what it is today, that they would do that.

A lot of our hirees also seem to have connections to the district in some way. A lot are graduates of the school system, and some have other connections such as being the daughter of a friend of the principal, and one was related to the human resources administrator. Not exactly fair, but it is definitely happening.

Good luck to you in your continued search. It definitely is a difficult and often frustrating experience for sure.
Iím in Oklahoma, and they have to give us our years. So, a first year would definitely be cheaper than a 12 year. I agree, I think a lot of this is a knowing someone deal.

applesaucencr

Old 06-07-2019, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I know what you mean. NJ Teacher is exactly right. Newer teachers save districts a lot of money. A friend wanted to get into a district (she even knew people there) where she got into the last round of candidates. She had also interviewed last year. Turns out the positions went to new teachers with who had just a bachelors as opposed to a masters. This practice saves districts tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. Meanwhile, I have noticed that pay for superintendents and directors and has skyrocketed over the past 5-7 years and there seems to be admin than ever yet has had no positive impact on students.
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Iím going to text the sped director on Monday a friendly thank you for meeting with me and asking her to keep me in mind if any positions above 1st grade happen to pop up in the 11th hour (this week). Then ask her to keep me in mind for any next year. Iím not above looking desperate and hustling for a gig.