Digital interviews, are these the trend now? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Digital interviews, are these the trend now?

>

Fractured

Digital interviews, are these the trend now?
Old 06-10-2019, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just did my first one. I know Greyhound girl has said they were horrible. Itís way worse than talking to a person because I think they expect you to not say um, yeah, like, etc. Filming yourself and seeing the anxiety build up is not a lot of fun. A district even had me do a two minute intro of myself on an iPad at a job fair behind a partition and I had been walking around all day and looked like a rabid dog. Is that what they do to save money now? Is is that hard to do a Skype interview? Applying for jobs is almost as bad as root canals now.

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Osha

Osha

I've done a few...
Old 06-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't like them. But I have noticed more districts and schools doing them. I am WAY more natural when I do in-person interviews. Or heck, Skype interviews! In my experience, they've been used primarily as "gate-keepers." Or, in other words, a classic "weeding-out" mechanism that allows admin to quickly cut back on the number of applicants. They can also stay in an office and peruse candidates on their own time instead of having to reserve an office or conference room, set up a time, get fellow teachers/admin together, etc. I guess it makes sense.

There was a large district in my state that randomly asked me to do one about a month ago. It was really bizarre since I had been putting apps into the system since February. It wasn't even for a specific school or position. Mostly general teaching questions from what I remember. I did it, submitted it, and...that was it. Never got any feedback from it. I have just continued to submit apps regardless.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-10-2019, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Bane of my existence. I just had a district send me a link to redo it even though they’ve already filled all of their positions so I don’t know why they’re wasting my time.

I’m so tired of the new and interesting ways districts are finding to jerk applicants around. I miss the good old days of applying and being rejected.

Although, in all fairness, that’s still happening a ton to me too.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Whyíd they ask you to redo it? I went 15 seconds over one one of the time allotments, but they can deal.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did one with Skype when the district changed the date and time on me. Iíve applied to other jobs where they want a video of me, seems a good way to cut out those that ďdonít look the part.Ē Iíve thought of making an iMovie trailer and submitting that since I am taking a PD class in iMovie this summer.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 06-15-2019, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did one to get into a grad program last year. I kind of liked it. I could do it at my convenience, I didnít have to fly anywhere, I didnít have to call anyone (I hate talking in the phone), and I felt more relaxed.

I wish we could do them at work. I often sit in on interview teams and it is exhausting, by the end of the day I donít think Iím thrilled about anyone. Also we sometimes disagree (the interview team) about what the person actually said when answering a question, it would be nice to have it recorded. Also, because of our geographic location we often have to do Skype or phone interviews and sometimes it is really not the best connection.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-16-2019, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've never heard of this- do you mean they send you questions and you film yourself answering them? Surely this is a "first step," and not in place of a regular interview? That does seem awkward.

When I got hired in my current district, which was 6 years ago now, I had to call a number and answer some recorded questions over the phone. After each question, it allowed you to listen to your response and then accept or repeat it. I'd never experienced that anywhere else. This was as a first step before being chosen for an in person interview.

Having a video of yourself teaching does seem to be pretty common now. Last time I was seriously job hunting, I only had one school ask me for one and I'd never heard of it at the time. They let me do a demo instead, but I didn't get hired- I'm sure the videos that can be practiced and perfected looked better! My P likes doing demos, but we get so many applicants from out of the area that she's gone to requesting videos instead. And I saw several of our teachers who were looking this past spring videoing themselves teaching.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote