The VENT

15 minute demo lesson 7th grade math ideas

>

bteach99

15 minute demo lesson 7th grade math ideas
Old 06-11-2019, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teachers:

I need to do the above demo lesson, and i am terrified. Does anyone have any ideas?

Should i get involved with the smart board, or could i just do something quick with paper ? i will have access to a copier but i am just so nervous.........

I need a job desperately.

I need to do something in 7th grade math. PLEASE HELP! i hate demo lessons.

bteach99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Demo lessons...
Old 06-11-2019, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have never done a demo lesson before, but I know I would hate them just hearing about them. I'll save my reasoning for why I think I'd hate them since that's not the topic of the post.

Have you looked into Jo Boaler? Her website, youcubed may have some awesome ideas, especially with the growth mindset in math. The week of inspirational math is great for all learners and be be easily differentiated by ability. They don't necessarily address a new concept, but they teach about growth mindset and integrate a lot of the mathematical practice standards while using math content. My students love these! They are longer than 15 minutes, but maybe you could find a part of a lesson to do. Her website also has different problem solving tasks, as well.

You could find other performance tasks/problem solving tasks online as well for kids to work through.

Maybe a game of some sort?

What about having students create a word problem related to a topic in the curriculum (in pairs), then swapping the word problems for partners to solve, but they could solve it in different ways. As an example, students work in pairs and create a word problem for a topic you give them (or they can select from a list maybe). Divide a poster, sheet of construction paper, etc. into 4ths. In the first 4th, have them write the problem. Then, pairs switch. In the second fourth, they solve the problem one way. The paper is then passed to a new partnership. In the 3rd fourth, the new group solves the problem, but in a different way, and you do that again for the 4th rotation. You could add in extra rotations by having another partnership check the word problem to make sure it makes sense, critiquing work/methods/etc.

Are you familiar with algebra titles? Do you think the students are? Do you/would you have access with them (if not, I feel like I saw a way to make them online before). The students could do some work with that.

Just some suggestions. I've never taught 7th grade math, never had to do a demo lesson, and a 15 minute 7th grade math lesson seems tricky, in my opinion.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

happygal

Well...
Old 06-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would start by playing around the world with them. Multiplication facts. For 5 minutes.

Have some sort of prize for designated winner, make it fun.

Then teach mini lesson on finding the common denominator. Then hand out a half sheet with the same problem, do with them, go around and check/encourage each student

On the back, labeled side B, have them try a similar problem on their own, give a couple minutes, walk around again, then correct together, have them get up and turn in their sheet

happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

Adding fractions
Old 06-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Or solving for X

You can do it! Practice at home. Breath deeply.

Remember, to go slowly helps more kids.
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

ELAteacher2

Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do a Math Talk using this web site:
https://whenmathhappens.com/3-act-math-7th/

They're engaging and can be done in 15 minutes.

Good luck!

ELAteacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 06-11-2019, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Does Marilyn Burns have anything on her web site?
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote