Should I have included this position on a resume? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Should I have included this position on a resume?

>

Elorafaun

Elorafaun

Should I have included this position on a resume?
Old 06-14-2019, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, here's the background. It's long and I apologize:

So a while back, I resigned from a job early (Job #1) due to an unhealthy work environment. I went through literally EVERYTHING to survive the year-tangible rewards, after-school detentions, meeting with supervisors, over 20 phone calls home a week, in-class reward time, documenting behavior, moving seats, writing students up, practicing routines a million times, personalized technology, etc. NOTHING worked. In my case, this was delightfully coupled with the fallout of severe accusations against a domestic partner. Thankfully, my principal did allow me to leave my contract at job #1. (Not sure if relevant, but I didn't mention the domestic situation to the principal then). I signed the paperwork and that was that.

I interviewed for a few positions afterward, including an ideal position for my skills (job #2) and was pleased when I was offered job #2 a few weeks later. Amazingly, I had still gotten a good reference from job #1! I was thrilled. I signed the initial paperwork and “started” my first day. I only observed the other teachers my first day. However, when I went to a meeting for job #2 that night, I was told that the district for job #1 had NEVER released me from my contract and so job #2 could not legally hire me. The job #1 school board decided that I did not have a “right” to leave my position. (I’ll admit I was way too nice on my release letter. It was way too vague and didn’t reflect what I truly experienced.) They later reported me to the state.

I was never told that this was a possibility by any admin at job #1. THIS led to a prolonged fight with the state board of education that ruled 100% in my favor and expunged my file (Job #1 principal likely backed me up, woohoo). On top of this whole mess, I was also dealing with the aforementioned domestic situation and I left the area suddenly without telling anyone. Not the best way to handle the situation, I know but I felt downright sick (Note: I was unable to resolve the state problem fully until after I left the area) Job #2 never reached out to me after that meeting and due to the distractions of my frightening domestic situation and dealing with the state, I never reached out to them.

I took some time off from teaching and am now trying to jump back in with no luck. I have had several interviews but no actual offers. I was puzzling over why I wasn’t getting anywhere and then I remembered this whole godforsaken situation with jobs #1 and #2. I wondered if that “one day” of work at job #2 was technically supposed to be on a resume, even though my paperwork couldn’t be approved, I never taught anything, and I was never paid. It just felt unnecessary to list.
I also have no doubts that since it was a desirable position in a desirable district they had no trouble staffing it after I departed. I mean, they couldn’t even LEGALLY hire me because of the situation with the other district personnel who would not release me.

My main questions are: Would this school show up in any background checks even if I only “worked” a day and never could get the paperwork approved?
Is there a possibility that said admin at job #2 might be badmouthing me somewhere or I might be accused of “hiding” the job?
And finally, has anyone ever experienced a situation like this? If so, what did you do? Thanks!

easypeasy2

easypeasy2

Old 06-14-2019, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am just guessing, but I think it is more likely about you having been reported to the state than job#2. I am not sure how your districts do background checks, but if it shows up on the state website it just looks like 'trouble' and districts want 'easy'. Does not matter if it was 100% resolved in your favor. Schools picture themselves with someone who complains or can't cut it or whatever, and unless you are in a high demand field, giving you the benefit of the doubt is not worth it to them.
I would make myself as 'easy', positive and accommodating in interviews. Downplay any issue at school one. Don't bring up personal issues. They don't want to hear about things that went wrong, because they want a teacher who is easy and upbeat.

ConnieWI

Questions
Old 06-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you requested a background check on yourself? This would answer whether or not the jobs show up on your background check.

Have you contacted administration for job #2 to find out if he/she has had any phone calls from prospective employers?
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Elorafaun

Elorafaun

Old 06-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I didn't think of running a background check on myself, ConnieWI. That's a great idea. Thanks!

easypeasy2, I don't think it shows up on the state website at all. I indeed always spin it well in interviews