Help

The VENT

20 or 24 pays?

>

PrimaryTeach8

20 or 24 pays?
Old 06-14-2019, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm filling out a paycheck form for my first teaching job. It's asking me if I want 20 pays or 24 pays. It says:
The 20 pay schedule is available only to school-year employees; all others working beyond the school year must be on the 24 pay schedule.

It sounds like I should be on the 20 pay schedule, but I'd like to get paid over the summer. I'm not sure which one to pick.

PrimaryTeach8 is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Imo..
Old 06-14-2019, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our teachers get paid monthly. They may choose 10 or 12 payments. If you are disciplined you may decide to receive 20 payments than transfer a portion to your saving account to be used during the summer. That way you are earning the interest on your money, rather than the state. It may not be much, but it's yours. Most banks can automatically transfer funds which really simplifies the process.
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 06-14-2019, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

From what you have written, I think that school-year employees have a choice between getting paid 20 or 24 times per year. It depends on what works better for you. Most teachers prefer being paid year-round; they want to know that they will continue to have income during the summer.

Others have savings or a working spouse or a lot of self-discipline (or a good paying summer job) and choose to get their pay in 20 checks. That clearly would result in larger paychecks and get the money into your pocket sooner.

It's a personal choice. One size doesn't fit all.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-14-2019, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We had the option of 18 or 24. (Getting paid on the 15th and 30). If you chose the 24 you received your 6 remaining checks on the last day of school. This may not be true for other districts. I tried the 18 payments once because coworkers convinced me that I should put it in savings to gain interest. To me it was more of a hassle to be sure I had enough to get through the summer. I was single at the time so I really needed to have enough co e summer!

The way yours is worded I would interpret that you could choose either.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

PrimaryTeach8

Old 06-14-2019, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks everyone! I chose the 20 pay. I won't be using much, it will all be going into savings. And I'll be spending very little of it. So now that I think about it, I really don't need to get paid during the summer because I'll have so much saved up.

PrimaryTeach8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-14-2019, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
I won't be using much, it will all be going into savings. And I'll be spending very little of it. So now that I think about it, I really don't need to get paid during the summer
Bite your tongue!

My jealousy is palpable and it will remain palpable when I walk in monday and continue teaching ESY. I love the kids, but what I wouldnt give to be there because I wanted to be rather than because I had to be-and I do get paid over 12 months
Kinderkr4zy is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 06-15-2019, 03:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have a choice between 22 or 26 pays. I have always done the 26 pay and we really get the last four on the last day of school.

As to getting it early to earn interest, my brick and mortar savings account pays something like less than a quarter of a percent. . I have other accounts through Capital One online that pay better, so I will put any leftover money from my large check in that in one deposit. They don't take our 403b contributions or our health and dental payments out of those last four checks, so I get a lot extra, which is nice :-)
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

PrimaryTeach8
Old 06-15-2019, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What Kinderkr4yz said DITTO!!!!
RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Nice to have a choice...
Old 06-15-2019, 02:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Teachers in our district were paid twice a month. We did not have the option of getting checks in July and August. The district did take out money for you and deposited it into a credit union account if you authorized them to. When I was negotiating, we did try to get the district to give us the option to get checks in the summer, but they were not willing to look into it. I realize that the interest would have been earned by the district on our money, but savings is not paying a lot these days anyway. Fortunately, I never ran out of money from my credit union account.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote