The VENT

Switching to SPED

>

spunky7

Switching to SPED
Old 06-17-2019, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All!
Like many of you, I am really struggling to find a job as a general education teacher. I graduated with my masters in 2016 and was able to get a job in a very rural school district the next year. Then I moved and I now live in the biggest city in my state. It has proven to be very competitive and after 15+ applications, I havenít even gotten an interview.

For the last 2 years, I have been working in a special needs school and I love it. I am the head Ed Tech and take the teacherís place when they are out. Unfortunately, pay is low and Iíd like to get my sped certification. Has anyone done this and was it very difficult? I know sped us one of the shortage areas so Iíd like to make myself more valuable!

According to my state website, I only need about 7 classes but itís all very confusing. For those of you that switched:

Did you have to student teach again?
Did you take a degree program or just take classes?
How long did it take you to complete?

I do plan to contact my state personally, but I thought Iíd check in here to get some feedback too. Thanks for taking the time to read and for any help!

spunky7 is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 06-17-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iím in Oklahoma and have a degree I elem ed. I just had to take a certification test.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 06-17-2019, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Definitely check your state requirements. I found mine online. To add a sped license to an elementary one, my state requires a license test and a practicum.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 06-17-2019, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is actually super different from place to place so I would start with you state DOE. I know that its different because I have had the same thought and looked into it as bit around here.

If you are in CA this could be helpful, if not...not so much

In CA you would need some additional course work and you have to do you teacher induction again (but only for 1 year since your not new to the teaching profession-how generous of them )

Also it seems like very few schools offer this as an option-most want you to add your sped cert with a masters.

Seriously they wonder why these job are hard to fill with so few candidates, but really they dont make it easy to bridge over to Sped from gen ed and most of us dont want to have to start over.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

sterlingsun

Old 06-18-2019, 08:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just switched from Gen Ed to SPED last year.

I'm currently certified in ELA and I'm a TA at a private SPED school. They're currently paying for my master's. I don't need to student teach given I did when I got my ELA cert. My program will be one more year, but it looks like it's about a calendar year for just the cert.

I would ditto that you should check your state requirements.

sterlingsun is offline   Reply With Quote

UVAgrl928

Old 06-22-2019, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here you canít just add a SPED endorsement. I had a dual program where I got my SPED and gen ed at the same time, but have only used my gen ed.

About 2-3 years ago my state did switch regulations for ELL endorsement. All you have to do is take a test. Iím now certified K-12 ELL by just taking the test, and will be transitioning to that position this fall.

If you have the time and money for the SPED endorsement, I say go for it! I like having all three areas because it gives me options. I also feel that it makes me a stronger gen ed candidate because I have that background.
UVAgrl928 is offline   Reply With Quote