Help

Special Education

Any advice for a new resource teacher?

>

livelovelearn

Any advice for a new resource teacher?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just started as an in-class support teacher in a public school. Being new, I am very enthusiastic about my postion. Although it's currently part time, it has potential to become full time. I quickly accepted the offered position hoping that by getting my "foot in the door" I would at least have a future chance of gaining more responsibility down the road. I quickly learned after my first week on the job, that the other 3 resource teachers, one who is also part time, are treating me as a temporary substitute who is not permanent. This bothers me because I am a people person and get along well with everyone. I had expected to be welcomed into the school community by the staff. Instead, I feel like I don't belong. Wanting to feel connected with the students and part of the team, I've been staying longer than my contracted time because I want to feel included and the teachers I've lent a hand to have expressed their appreciation. I am making new friends and building professional relationships. I checked with the principal to make sure it was okay and he said he had no problem. In fact, he was thankful. Now, it seems I am creating a problem. Two of the other 3 resource teachers have approached me and told me to stop putting in extra time because it makes them look bad. They said if continue to stay and help out, then they will be expected to do the same. One of them added that if I was part of their union (which I'm not) that I could get in trouble. After our confrontation, I passed a "NO BULLYING" poster in the hallway and had to laugh. Is it true that I could get in trouble if I join the union and continue to do good deeds? Is there anyone in the school that I should trust who will not make me look foolish? What would you do in this situation? Any advice would be appreciated

livelovelearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Well, I am not sure
Old 11-26-2007, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but, you have to do what you feel comfortable with...If it is helping you network, build relationships, and all that, I say go ahead. It might be a great way to get a "foot in the door" if the gen ed teachers and principal are grateful. On the other hand, it may be a rocky start to any relationship with your potential [SpEd] team members, but if they are snubbing you anyway, you might not care.)

Personally, I am not the best one to ask as I did not leave school until almost 6 tonight. I put in extra hours almost daily.

The only time I've ever heard about "extra hours/time" causing Union problems is when contract negoitations are happening and they are applying "work to rule" to the contracted hours. But then it affects everyone, not just you.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned they were upset with you volunteering because it made them look bad.

Weigh it out in your own mind, think about the pros and cons, and decide from there.

Good luck.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

jscp0708

Continue what your doing
Old 12-04-2007, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would contiune what you are doing. You are looking out for the best interests of the school and you do not mind doing the work you are doing. Who cares what the other special ed teachers feel because ultimately you have to look out for yourself and by working a little longer you are doing that which will help you be retained or hired in the school/district the following year.
jscp0708 is offline   Reply With Quote