Help

Special Education

Help ME!!!!

>

newbieteach

Help ME!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so frustrated right now! I have a student that is autistic, bi-polar, and has ADHD (supposedly). I do not know what to do because she picks at my whole class. Everyone hates her. They are constantly complaining about stuff she does. I try to tell them to ignore when she does this stuff because she can't help it. Well today was horrible. Every time I turned around there was someone complaining or her complaining about someone else. I do not know what to do. She has a behavior chart and she is not getting good reports, she has flipped her card to red. I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited by newbieteach; 11-28-2007 at 05:21 PM..
newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ritateach

behavior
Old 11-28-2007, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I found when I was teaching special ed kids that their behavior became worse when I tried flipping cards or other things like that. I finally changed it to putting a Post-It note on their desk and every time I saw them doing their work, sitting appropriately, answering a question...anything like that I, or my para, would give them a small sticker to put on it. At the end of the day I gave them classroom money. On Fridays, we would have "store" where I would let them buy things that I had picked up at a yard sale.

Another idea I used was a "chart" on their desk as well that I initialed when a child raised his/her hand to get my attention instead of yelling out. They would get a sticker, classroom money or a treat after 10 times.

For this one child, you might want to set up a behavior contract with her letting her get a sticker or a positive mark for every 15, 30, or 60 minutes...(You decide how long she could make it) and then help her focus on how well she is doing.
ritateach is offline   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

I do the same as ritateach
Old 11-28-2007, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I actually start where I fell sure that they can be successful...like every 10 or 15 min. then, when they prove to themselves they can be successful I increase the time...I did this last year and it worked like a charm! I predict you'll feel better too because you'll be giving her attention for doing the right things....the other kids will probably pick up on it too.
When she is doing so well that you can make it half of the day or so....I would start making it more random...can I catch you being good 3 times today.....by that time she'll be able to handle it.....I have done it with many kids with severe behavior challenges!
good luck!

Kym
mrssimon2gr is offline   Reply With Quote

newbieteach

Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the advice. She has gotten even worse today. She is constantly yelling out and threatening other students. Today she told me that she hasn't taken her medicine. I think this is causing the irratic behavior the past couple of days. I thought about calling her mom and asking her about it but I wasn't sure if I should. I don't want her to feel like I can't handle her without medicine. What do you all think?
newbieteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

meds
Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can talk to the nurse to find out what she knows about her meds. Then if needed, call home. You can tell mom the changes you are seeing from her in your class and tell her what her child told you. Its perfectly okay to discuss this with her parents.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

GreatGrin

peer training
Old 12-03-2007, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You might try to do a peer awareness program with the students in the class, talking to them about her disability and what they can do to help her. It also helps kids to be told what they might hear and see from this little girl and what teachers might to do intervene. Giving kids the tools to work with peers with special needs has proven to be really successful in our building.
I always talk about what the special needs child does really well, and we make a fun poster and write all the positives on it....it is amazing what kids come up with! Then I talk to the special needs student after and give them the poster...they love it! And they feel more accepted once they know their peers think they do so many things well.

If you need more ideas on a starter to this let me know.
GOOD LUCK!
GreatGrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

re GreatGrin
Old 12-04-2007, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like your idea a lot but thought I needed to add to it.
If you do this, be careful to get parental permission first. Due to privacy rights, if you do this without you can end up in trouble. Also decide on an individual basis, if it would be in the child's best interest if they are present during the discussion or not.
Pacer Puppets has a program (it's a parent advocacy/support program) that comes into the schools to give presentations to students about different disabilities through the use of puppets.
Maybe your area has something similar.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

mrssimon2gr

as far as the meds
Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would always notify the clinic when she reports she hasn't had her meds. It's less an issue of being able to handle her without her meds and more an issue of going off and on certain meds can be VERY harmful to the child --- and depending on what's going on....mom may not know. Take it from a mom of 7----1 has autism!

mrssimon2gr

as far as ability awareness issues
Old 12-04-2007, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We celebrate abilities awareness month. Our counselors do a marvelous job of finding celebrities and historical figures that have/had disabilities and ways that the found to overcome them.
During that month different organizations/people come in to educate students about the challenges that people with disabilities face. I actually do the presentation on autism....I got it from another mom who has an autistic child. I present to all of 5th grade and you know- they really got it. I wasn't presenting on a "child" I was presenting about autism. Just an idea. I think this is vital to kids today....we all have to learn to live together----1 in 150 will be born with autism.... 1 in 70 boys!

ok- now I am jumping down off my soap box!