Special Education

Paras and others

>

aut_teach

aut_teach

Paras and others
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a question for all of you special ed teachers out there. I have 9 adults in my classroom other than me. I have a class of 10 full and part time children all diagnosed somewhere on the autism spectrum. Some of the adults are TSS from various agencies, 1 is a classroom assistant and 2 of them are 1:1 paras from my district. Several children have 2 adults with them all day. It is absolutely insane how many people are with us. Is anyone else in this situation and how do you manage all of the adults in the classroom? Is there some sort of training? Do you train them to do certain things? This is my first year in this situation.

Thanks!

SCYSR

and I thought...
Old 11-28-2007, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

WoW!! And I thought I had it hard! I'm in a self contained class with 10 kids, myself, the classroom para, and 4 1:1 paras- a total of 6 adults and my students are not Autistic!!!!! I find that the adults make things chaotic even if they don't have to be. I was getting frustrated that the kids weren't behaving becuase there was too much going on. I did a couple of things (it's my first year also, but there's been much trial and error since the beginning).
1. Take the weakest para and have her do jobs- give her certain jobs to do every day, i.e. get the water from the closet, stack the chairs, straighten the library, etc. This gets her out of the way!
2. Set things in stone- I'm not a mean teacher, others say I'm too nice to my paras, but one thing is clear- when I'm teaching, no one else, and really no one else is allowed to even whisper! I give them each a small drawer and have them put all personal belongings there as well...
3. I have a really tough class, with 7 individualized, complicated behavior plans. I found that with so many adults, not everyone was carrying through with them consistently. I typed up pages and pages of behavior plans and gave a copy to each para. Now they have no excuse!
4. At this point, at the end of september, I restructured my classroom so that every single thing is done in groups- even circle time! Before I didn't have this, but now that I do, I need the paras!
5. My paras have their own reading instructional groups and math and handwriting. During APE each day, when all the extra people make the kids so wound up because we have a tiny gym room, I give the paras preps- they have 2 a week.
Good luck!
SCYSR is offline   Reply With Quote
aut_teach

aut_teach

Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the reply. This is really driving me nuts, to the point where I am looking for other teaching jobs. I would love to do a bunch of groups, etc, but the only adults that could help are my classroom assistant and 1:1. The other adults are all TSS and other related workers who won't help with academics (on their plans/description that they can't). I do have a few groups. I'll take your advice into definite consideration!!

Thanks again!

lovkteaching

Old 11-29-2007, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know you were addressing sp. ed teachers but we are a full inclusion school and one year i had 19 kindergarten students 3 of them had a full-time aide! It was almost insane to teach that year. The adults would sit and talk to each other right over my teaching!!!!
lovkteaching is offline   Reply With Quote
rachelosu

rachelosu

Maybe this could help
Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think you should try your hardest to have everyone on a structured schedule. Break the times into increments... have them listed so that each adult and child have a designated place at every given moment. Hope it helps!