Help

Special Education

Too Much Variety!

>

alysped

Too Much Variety!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my 7th year teaching. I moved to a new district last year and teach at a very small K-5 school. I am the only Special Education Teacher in the school and I teach everything to every grade level. I have 9 Resource children that are with me anywhere from 90 minutes to 3 hours per day. I have 3 expanded resource students who are with me all day, except for MAPS. I also have 3 functional skills students (2 of which are down syndrome). I do have one full time assistant in my room.

I feel that my days are pure chaos! One of my kids with down's takes up so much of my time and my assistant's time, that I feel I can't give the other kids what they need. I would absolutely love to have a self contained classroom for moderate to severe disabilities. I could handle that! It's getting very hard to handle so many different levels of disabilities at one time. I feel like I am sinking!

alysped is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Is there a caseload limit in your state?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Check with your state dept of ed. There should be reasonable limits to what two adults can safely handle. I think your district needs to bite the bullet and hire at least one other SpEd teacher--that way they can split it up between inclusion and resource only v. self-contained.

BUT, even with that said, I feel your pain. I am supposed to be the Mild to Mod disabilities class but now have ten students, including several that have ED and BD issues. I don't have a classroom aide as they like to point out I have three 1:1 paras--what they forget is that one student is mainstreamed all but 45 min a day +/- (while his para does lunch most of that time) and the other two both have severely disabled fourth graders. They are too busy helping their assigned students, they are of no additional help to me. (I do greatly appreciate the help with those two however--don't get me wrong.)

I just try to do the best I can and hope that is enough. I can set my schedule ten ways to Sunday but if a student has a meltdown at 12:59, there is no way for SRA reading group to start at 1:00. I've tried to get some things that are not busy work available for the kids to do while they wait on me to handle the crisis that occur fairly regularly but they are not exactly independent workers.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote