Special Education

storybooks

>

Little Moe

Little Moe

storybooks
Old 01-05-2008, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do you use storybooks(including picture books) to teach literacy skills?

Sarah30

Sarah30

Using Books
Old 01-12-2008, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach sp. ed K4 so I really only use picture books and big books to teach early reading skills. You weren't very specific on the grade level that you are teaching so I will be general. The best thing to do when teaching with a big book or any book is to first do a picture walk. This is where you do not read the words, but rather only have the children look at the pictures and use the pictures to help them predict what is going to happen in the story. Then you can go back page by page when reading the story and see if their predications based on the pictures matched the words that were written in the story. Big books are great for teacher appropriate book handling skills, such as following a line of print with their finger or a large pointer, reading from left to right. OI use a variety of wh- questions after we read the bo kthe first time. My children have alot of language delays so these types of questions are very difficult. The following day I do a T-chart where I ask them what they remember about the story and then we compare what they remember to what actually happened after they ready the story. If you are teaching older students who may be reading, you can do choral reading while you are holding the book, it's better if they have their own copies though, identifying sight words that they know if the book etc. I hope that this helps!