Help

Special Education

How to set up a listening center

>

larseda

How to set up a listening center
Old 01-13-2008, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We work in a self contained classroom tending to the needs of 6 autistic children grades 3-5. Five of them are non-verbal and cognitively low. The other does some immature speaking but is bright and can learn. I'm considering the idea of a listening center where all of them can reinforce concepts through stories or tapes I record (counting, colors, shapes). We only have one tape recorder/player.

What are important considerations to keep in mind for setting up something like this? What have been your experiences? I don't want to see equipment or materials destroyed so any information on how to safely prepare such an area will also help.

Thanks

Last edited by larseda; 01-13-2008 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: Missed key information
larseda is offline   Reply With Quote

mgs138

tips
Old 01-16-2008, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

be sure to put a piece of tape on any homemade tapes (over the side slot) so that they can not be recorded over.

purchase a "splitter" from any teacher supply company and get headphones from the dollar store (be sure the splitter is set up for regular sized cords - not the big ones)

public libraries have tons of audio books for all age levels. you could borrow them and copy them.

i would make a rule that kids are not allowed to touch the tape recorder. Start it for them before they are called over, set the volume to an appropriate level, and then have them take off their headphones when they are done (you could tape a short message and signal at the end of each tape)
mgs138 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmiller

listening center
Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

An idea I learnded this year it to put a sticker on the side of the tape that has "the beeps". This way, students who need that assisstance know what side of the tape to play that will tell them when to turn the page and the students who can do it independantly, can use the other side of the tape
tmiller is offline   Reply With Quote