Help

Special Education

I am so torn right now

>

Lottalove

I am so torn right now
Old 01-16-2008, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We had a mom come in over lunch to say that she and her child are moving--RIGHT NOW--apparently they have been living with relatives and are basically homeless without the support of relatives--long story short is that the adults fought so mom and 8 yr old child are on the road again! They can stay with another relative for two days but unsure after that....

While I am glad to have a [temporarily] reduced work load, I am very upset about her being homeless--especially with bad weather coming...

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Queen Mother

Possible help
Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work in Washington State and we have the McKinney-Vento Act that says districts are required to help a student continue going to their home school. This Act is specifically designed for families that find themselves without a place to live no matter what the reason. I have had students living with relatives and the district sends a bus or taxi to their current location (including out-of-district) and brings them to and from school each day. I have also had a parent that couldn't afford to continue driving the 20 miles one way and the act paid her milage round trip. Ask around to see if you state has a similar one. A good place to start is with Social Services/DSHS. Good Luck!
Queen Mother is offline   Reply With Quote