Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Reading mastery

>

oprahj

Reading mastery
Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if you allow students to reread reading mastery stories after they have already read during the lesson time? Is it good practice to allow reteading in order to increase fluency?

oprahj is offline   Reply With Quote

bgteacher

rereading
Old 04-16-2013, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

reading and rereading stories that kids know how to read is an excellent strategy to improve fluency...especially if the choice comes from the individual student.
bgteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

rereading
Old 04-16-2013, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes! Yes! Yes! Repeated reading is absolutely necessary. In addition to rereading books themselves, they can listen as a read aloud, read with a partner, listen on computer or listening station. I often gives multiple reasons for rereading a text, focusing on different skills each time.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

rdgtchr99

absolutely!
Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always encourage my students to reread texts. They know that rereading is great for building fluency, but I also stress the importance of going back to the text to find answers or evidence. During mini-lessons I often reread a text that I've used before to demonstrate the many purposes of rereading. Sometimes it's simply because the story was a favorite, sometimes it's to show how reread can improve fluency, and sometimes it's to demonstrate how to explore the text to find evidence.
rdgtchr99 is offline   Reply With Quote

oprahj

Old 04-16-2013, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am being told that reading mastery must occur only during reading mastery time and not allow reread during non reading mastery time! Is my thinking right in regards to most at risk kndg to be able reread?

oprahj is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

reading mastery time??
Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Never heard of it. In my opinion, children should be reading for mastery ALL the time!
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

WhittyTeach

Yes!
Old 04-21-2013, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes! Definitely! Students should be given time to read stories and allowed time to reread. Rereading helps build fluency and fosters reading comprehension.
WhittyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

delidkteach

Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes! Rereading is an important task for young readers! Especially for the ones that are just learning to read and get a grasp on the whole concept! It helps them to identify words, it increases fluency and also helps students with comprehension! Rereading isn't just a good practice, it is a BEST practice. one of the things you can do to encourage this within your classroom is to have a book box for your students that has leveled readers inside! If they have a few minutes after finishing their work early or if you finish a lesson early, the students can just grab their book boxes and read from them. Another thing that you could do is have multiple copies of books that you do for a read aloud in your classroom library. The students have already heard the story and know what happens but then they can go back and reread it for themselves!
delidkteach is offline   Reply With Quote