Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Accuracy and Automaticity

>

delidkteach

Accuracy and Automaticity
Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Accuracy is important for all readers to develop. This is developed with the skills of decoding. Tier one words or sight words are the words that become the easiest for students to recognize and read accurately because their exposure to the words allows them to become automatic within their processing. I think that the development of accuracy and automaticity within reading are very closely linked in terms of instruction.
As an educator, I donít see these skills as just reading skills. I view them as life skills that will be essential to my studentsí success as they move through their education and professional careers. If I can help my students develop a strong tier two vocabulary and they are able to recognize those words and their meanings and automatically know what they mean, then I think my students will be more confident in their writing with their word choice, professional conversations, discussions within a classroom setting, and of course their reading skills will improve so that they are reading at their grade level or higher.

Does anyone have any suggestions on strategies or best practices so that I can achieve my goal?!

delidkteach is offline   Reply With Quote