Help

The VENT

The Waiting Game - Part II

>

GatsbysDream

The Waiting Game - Part II
Old 05-27-2017, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In my last post, I described my last observation as being wonderful and the principal making various references to the upcoming 2017 - '18 school year.

We all found a note in our mailboxes telling us that there would be contract renewal/nonrenewal meetings beginning on or around May 24th.

A few days later the principal spoke with me, along with a curriculum supervisor, about my first year and I think he was using it as a segue into helping me deal with one extremely difficult student. I was caught off-guard with this discussion and probably looked like a deer in headlights.

At the end of the day, I approached the principal and asked if I was doing ok. He smiled and asked "You want to know if you're getting a contract?" so I smiled and told him yes. Apparently "Between you and me, yes you're getting a contract."

May 24th has come and gone, and I still haven't received my notice to meet with the principal and our President for our end-of-year evaluation. I'm growing more and more nervous by the day and it's eating me alive. I understand I'm low on the totem pole as a first-year teacher at this school and I need to wait my turn, but UGH!

Some of the second year teachers have received their contracts and they earned lower scores than I did on all of my evaluations.

I'm unsure as to how they're choosing with whom they meet each day, but I'm unhappy about having to wait considering they started a week ago.

Should I take the principal at his word?

I applied for a position in a public school closer to my home just to ensure I have some sort of option if they decide not to renew my contract. I have a 96% average for my observations, so I hope that counts for something.

GatsbysDream is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 05-27-2017, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's a waiting game. The princ. told you that you would have a contract, so maybe he just put you at the bottom of the list because you already know.
One question: How do you know what scores were earned on other teachers' evaluations?
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is strange. We all get our contracts on the same day. They tell us to come sign them in the office when we have time or sometimes our P will come around and give them to us.

End of the year evaluations are individual but they don't really relate to when we sign our contracts.

I would just wait if I were you. I'm sure its hard but you don't think he would lie to you, right?
Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

GatsbysDream

Old 05-27-2017, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the prompt response!

I know because we are a small school and I have managed to forge some great camaraderie with my coworkers. We work in a small, private urban school so we're like a small village.

I have no reason not to trust him but I know that nothing is official until it's signed, sealed, and delivered.

GatsbysDream

Old 05-27-2017, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We're a small school. We all talk like a small village. We only have about 200 kids from grades 9 - 12.

They told me.

Mshope

Many of Us are Still Waiting
Old 05-28-2017, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I got hired in a large group of teachers. Many of us were told that we would get called when we were officially hired. Nope, never got the call. The only way we found out was that it was printed in the newspaper.

I think you are probably fine! However, I think you are smart to keep your options option. Congrats on finishing your first year.

Let us know when you hear!
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

GatsbysDream

Old 05-29-2017, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Really? The district didn't call to inform you about your approval?

I am unsure as to which state you're in but NJ is typically excellent with informing its candidates regarding employment/BOE approval.

I am in a private school and we do not "answer" to the local BOE, but we answer to the Diocese itself.

I also want to ask for a raise. I began the year with my Provisional cert because my old principal could not have cared less about my paperwork, but my current principal filled everything out right after my first observation which was a 25/27. He recommended me for a Standard or permanent certification, which I did get.

I have no clue how to bring this up or if I even should.

linda2671

That stinks!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I hate that so many of you don't know until the end of the year whether or not you have a job for the next year. That is so unfair. In our school, people are told before spring break if they are not being renewed. That's the time that people need to start applying for new jobs if they're going to get one. If they wait this late, they don't have much of a chance. The hiring is pretty much done.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

GatsbysDream

Old 05-30-2017, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks. I was apprehensive about applying for jobs for that very reason.

I did apply for two, but I'm hoping to stay where I am.

Our graduation is tomorrow so I have a feeling I won't know until next week, during finals.

GatsbysDream

Old 06-01-2017, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I got my contract yesterday! It went well. Their only advice for me regarding next year was learning how to deal with the kids who make me want to pull my hair out better.

They gave me some suggestions and I too them although their suggestions were things I'd already tried but they lasted a day or two.

I'm glad to be returning to the same school in September!

Thank you for your advice everybody =)