Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Socks piggyback question

>

Ima Spedtcher

Socks piggyback question
Old 11-17-2020, 07:38 PM

I was reading the sock post below and started wondering...how often do you wear socks???

I am amazed by the organization of Amiga’s sock drawer- how do you even put the socks in there??? But how many socks do you have/need? Are we supposed to have enough socks to have a drawer devoted to them?

I have about 5 pairs of workout socks- totally mismatched. I think they are comfortable. I don’t think about them being uncomfortable, so they must be comfortable. I wear them for 30 minutes to an hour 5 days a week when I work out. I have a couple pairs of no show socks for the two pairs of work sneakers I have (I maybe wear these once a week or so), and I have some warm fuzzy socks I have received as gifts for when it gets cold......I think it would take me years to wear all the socks in Amiga’s drawer.

Do you wear socks on a daily basis? Weekly? Do they have a drawer of their own?

Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

Old 11-17-2020, 07:42 PM

I dislike socks. I don't typically wear them. I have hiking boots that I don't wear often, but I wear socks with them. If it snowed outside, and I wore my winter boots, I'd wear socks with them. This would probably mean socks for me 2-3 times a year.

I have a few pairs of socks that I keep in a basket on a shelf in my closet. I love the look of amiga's sock drawer!
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 11-17-2020, 07:53 PM

In the summer, I only wear socks when I workout, or am on a vacation where we are walking around a lot. I do tend to wear them more in the winter of course, but I still wear flip flops or slippers at home. And with Covid now, I think Iíve only worn socks maybe 3 times in the past month.

I love the look of the Bombas but I just donít wear socks enough to justify the purchase. Maybe I need to ask for them as a gift.
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 11-17-2020, 07:53 PM

I wear socks all winter long.

This is my supply:

...work out/casual no show socks
...warm fuzzy socks
...book socks
...hiking socks
....hiking socks liners
....old socks that are stretched out so I wear them to bed
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-17-2020, 08:07 PM

Iím trying to figure out how to respond without sounding defensive because thatís my newest self-improvement. So, imagine me laughing sheepishly.

Remember Iím retired. I walk a minimum of 2 hours every day wearing socks.

I admit I have a lot of socks. As I explained before, I think theyíre expensive so I try to buy them as cheaply as possible. This means I usually buy multipacks (4-8 pairs) when theyíre on sale. Sometimes I donít really need them when thereís a sale, but thereís a new pattern or color I canít resist. A few really cute ones were gifts. But yeah, I guess Iím a sock hoarder.

I admit I have a lot of socks. I also have a lot of clothes.

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 11-17-2020, 08:13 PM

amiga13, don't feel alone. I have 2 drawers of socks.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-17-2020, 08:16 PM

I don't like being in bare feet around the house. I'm more comfortable in socks. So I wear mine all of the time. I actually find those fuzzy socks get to be too hot and end up being uncomfortable, so I quit buying them.

I wear the Bombas ankle socks most of the time. I started with a collection of probably 9-10 pairs, but like I said in the other thread, mine get holes in the heels and I've had to throw some of them away. In the order I just placed, I got 8 pairs. When they arrive I'm going to clean out my drawer. I have a few pair that still have some life in them that I'll keep as well. I have a drawer that is socks and PJs. I'd like a whole drawer just for socks, although I certainly don't have anywhere near the amount in Amiga's picture. I've just never had the space.

The other socks I wear a lot are those no show ones for flats. I always wear flats to school in warmer weather. I also have some shorter socks that go well with some white tennis shoes I have (the shoes are so low, that Bombas socks would look super silly with them). On those days, when I get home I change into a pair of Bombas socks, because those little socks are uncomfortable on their own. Side note, I would pay WAY more than $12 if I could find a totally no show sock for flats that actually stays up all day long. I actually do have a few pairs of the Bombas no shows, and they're okay, but I still have to mess with them throughout the day.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 11-17-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
amiga13, don't feel alone. I have 2 drawers of socks.
(((chalkdusty)))) Thanks.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 11-17-2020, 08:28 PM

I also have 2 drawers of socks....oneís nothing but Bombas
I wear socks fall, winter and spring and have different colors and lengths. (I also have a full drawer of underwear, I could go a month without doing laundry )

PS My sock drawer is nowhere near as neat as Amigaís
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 11-17-2020, 08:43 PM

I hate socks.

However, sometimes they are necessary. I wear sandals from March to November, but I do have knee socks for boots and Bombas & Saucony for walking/gym.

Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

WIBadgerFan

Old 11-17-2020, 08:51 PM

I hate socks and shoes. In the summer I wear sandals only when I'm going somewhere and only wear socks if I need to wear tennis shoes for some reason. When I worked out of the house I wore socks daily in the winter. Now that in at home I wear slippers only.

I do have a whole drawer for socks, but that's so I don't have to do laundry as often. They are all exactly the same though so I can stack them in piles and just grab the top 2. Saves time when putting them away.
WIBadgerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-17-2020, 08:55 PM

Now I keep thinking about organizing my sock drawer . I have an entire drawer that is just swimsuits/cover ups. I was a swimmer and lifeguard in HS/college and I think this is a holdover from that part of my life, where I was wearing them constantly, even though that was 10+ years ago now . I'm going to totally get rid of that and make a drawer for just socks. And maybe reorganize everything else. A Thanksgiving break project since I have nothing else to do!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 11-17-2020, 09:01 PM

Amiga, I have at least that many pairs of socks, if not more. Not all Bombas, though, but goals! And they do have their own drawer.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 11-17-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I was reading the sock post below and started wondering...how often do you wear socks???

I am amazed by the organization of Amiga’s sock drawer- how do you even put the socks in there??? But how many socks do you have/need? Are we supposed to have enough socks to have a drawer devoted to them?
I wear socks pretty much constantly from fall to spring and sometimes during summer. I don't wear slippers. I just wear socks.

My dresser has mini-drawers across the top level. So I technically have 3 drawers of socks, but it's really like having 1.5.

I have tiers of socks. There is my "Bombas socks" drawer. (It's not nearly as big as Amiga's, but I have aspirations. ) It contains 90% Bombas and 10% other socks that I really like. And different styles of socks go with different shoes.

There is my "regular socks" drawer. It contains socks that aren't as nice as my Bombas socks, but they're not terrible, so I'll wear them if I'm out of Bombas or if I suspect they might get wet and muddy based on what I'm doing.

There is my "shuffling around the house socks" drawer. I wear those as my "slippers" once it's too chilly for bare feet because I don't care if they get holes in them or get stained on the bottom. (But I'm thinking of getting some more Bombas to be shuffling around the house socks because even now I'm sitting here thinking how annoying my socks are because they're so loose.)

Then I have my "tub of socks" which is all the goofy socks that I've accumulated over the years and rummage through on silly sock day at school and all the old socks I don't like but still function adequately as socks and can be used in times of desperation when I haven't done laundry in eons. PoohBear - a month without laundry is amateur level.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 11-17-2020, 11:32 PM

Where do people live that they don't wear socks? I wear sandals for about 5 months every year and that still leaves me with 7 months I have to wear socks. Even when I mostly wear sandals I still go through a fair amount of exercise socks.

Last edited by MKat; 11-18-2020 at 12:18 PM..
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-18-2020, 12:38 AM

I love socks! When I lived in the tropics, i really missed socks and sweatshirts.

I've never owned house slippers. I wear socks in the house, except when it's really hot. I hate wearing shoes without socks, unless they are (the flip flop kind of) slippers. I have athletic socks, work shoe socks, and house socks.

No one else in my house wears socks unless they have on tennis shoes outside. Even when it's freezing. Bare feet. I don't get them at all...

Eta: i just realized who wrote the op. I almost never wore socks when I lived near you ! And my socks, underwear, and bras all share a drawer. Except my sports bras and athletic socks. They live in the drawer under my bed.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 11-18-2020, 02:17 AM

I live in Canada - I wear socks pretty much daily year round!

In the summer I only wear socks if I am wearing sneakers, but I walk almost every day.

I get maybe 2 - 3 months of the school year where I can wear sandals or flats without socks. Once it starts getting chilly I need my ankles covered. I wear slippers at home but often wear socks as well. This time of year I am wearing mainly boots to work, always with socks.

I have one drawer for socks, underwear and bras. Some of the big wool socks o wear with boots and leggings are in the drawer with my leggings.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

socks
Old 11-18-2020, 02:29 AM

Every day all year. I never wore my sandals this summer one single time
I have a variety: bulky wool socks, compression socks, seasonal socks, all different colors, knee socks, low and ankle. I have one whole drawer full too
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 11-18-2020, 03:30 AM

I have to wear sensible shoes or (at least) good sandals because of arthritis in my feet. I wear hand knit wool socks all winter. In early spring and late fall I sometimes wear those socks with sandals!

In the warmer months (May-September), I wear cotton socks if I have shoes on (for my daily walks, and for gardening), but go sockless if I am in my sandals.

My sock drawer is full in the winter, but I put the woolies away for the summer and the cotton socks donít take up so much space.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 11-18-2020, 04:23 AM

Being in Florida I wear sandals for about 95% of the year. I also kind of hate socks generally speaking so never wear socks in my house.

However, I still have a sock drawer. I have socks for tennis shoes when I work out. I have no show socks for my converse and different no show for my ballet flats. I also have tall socks for the days we can wear boots here (like 4 days out of the year lol). I have little organizers in the drawer to keep each type of sock separate so it’s easier to grab what I want.

I also have a full drawer of swimsuits and coverups. That drawer gets a lot of use.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 11-18-2020, 04:26 AM

I wear socks daily and have 4 categories of socks:
winter socks-7 pair-black- match black winter athletic shoes
summer socks-7 pair-white-match all summer athletic shoes
church/dress socks-4 pair (navy, black, brown, tan-to match dress shoes)
garden socks-2 pair (black cotton socks to wear with garden boots)

Why basic colors?
All basic colors of the same brand so I don't have to worry about never finding a match! Also, I'm just not into pattern/colored socks.

Why so few?
I have this wonderful invention called the washing machine which is used often enough to get the socks washed, so I never am without !

I guess you can say I have a "capsule wardrobe" when it comes to socks!!!
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 11-18-2020, 04:34 AM

Yes, I have a sock drawer. I have socks that I wear with my dress shoes (different colors and thin), my casual shoes (different colors and a bit thicker than the dress shoes), white crew to wear when I have long pants and athletic, and short ankle socks when I wear shorts and athletic shoes or regular shoes where I don't want socks showing.

I don't wear shoes of any kind without socks. I wear slippers around the house. I rarely wear sandals when I am out. Also, if I put socks on my feet even for an hour they go straight in the wash.

Some days I wear two pairs of socks (one for dress/casual wear and one for working out). Since I don't do laundry multiple times a week, I have a good supply of socks which also makes them last a long time because they aren't worn as often as if I only had a few.

juliet4

Amiga...
Old 11-18-2020, 04:36 AM

I have two drawers of socks. One drawer is workout socks, one drawer is colored socks to go with jeans etc.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Amiga
Old 11-18-2020, 04:54 AM

Amiga ó my sock Ďdrawerí wants to be yours ó Bombas and all!

Currently all my Walmart white no show socks ó which I wear daily ó are in a heap on my cedar chest.

And ó they are all different brands ó so itís a fine day when I pick out a matching pair in the dark.
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 11-18-2020, 05:55 AM

I wear socks every day. The only time I don’t wear them is when I wear sandals or flip flops, or taking a shower! (I never wear high heels). I put on clean socks when I go to bed because I sleep better with socks on.

Last edited by dutchgirl; 11-18-2020 at 07:41 AM..
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 11-18-2020, 06:21 AM

I imagine sock wearing partly varies according to wear you live and whether you work out. Do many people wear sandals or flats in the snow and cold, for example? Exercise, even walking, kind of requires wearing socks, doesn’t it? I wear socks every day, sometimes more than one pair. Socks I wear at home like slippers. Socks for exercising in—and I work out every day. Socks I wear when I leave the house whether I’m wearing tennis shoes, boots, or many other shoe types. So I have a lot of socks, but not enough for a drawer all by themselves! How big are these drawers that some of you fill only with socks?

ETA: I had to go measure my drawers — 28 x 14 x 6.
CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 11-18-2020, 08:38 AM

Iím in Florida and have to wear socks everyday in the house. The tile floors kill my feet and legs. Wearing Bombas with Birkenstocks saves me.

When I lived in PA I had socks of every kind. I cleaned out many of them but saved my favorites for my trips home.
wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Socks
Old 11-18-2020, 09:37 AM

Iím sitting inside my house wearing Birkenstocks sandals with socks. I have two small drawers full of socks but neither drawer is as organized as Amigaís. One drawer has thick sport/hiking socks, and the other has thinner, somewhat dressier socks to wear with different shoes. In the winter I get cold feet so I even have bed socks.

One of these days when thereís some available space in my sock drawers Iím going to try Bombas.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 11-18-2020, 09:52 AM

I wear socks every day from the end of sandal wearing season (late Sept-early Oct) to the beginning of sandal wearing season (late March-early May). I have 7 or 8 pairs of black socks for regular wear, 10 or so pairs of ankle socks for when I wear runners for our daily walks. I also have 5 or 6 tights left over from when I wore a dress almost every day for work that live in the same drawer. It's a smallish drawer, nothing like the size of amiga13's drawer which I think is so pretty with all the different colours.
GreenBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 11-18-2020, 12:43 PM

I have a long vintage 9 drawer dresser... all of my “clothes” are hanging. My drawers are actually all probs lay larger than Amiga’s.

The three drawers in the middle are large than the 6 outside ones. But, I have:
Underwear drawer
Bra drawer
Sock drawer
Camisole/tank top drawer (ones that go under shirts)
Shorts
Bathing Suits
Pajama Shorts
Pajama Shorts
Pajama Pants

(Yes, I have a thing with pajamas lol)
I also have large baskets on a shelf in my closet... one has my workout clothing in it and another has a few long sleeve sleep shirts that barely get used.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 11-18-2020, 09:18 PM

Amiga- I wasnít trying to be critical. Iím truly amazed at your drawer organizing ability and would love to see a how to video. I always have to go to the bombas site every time you mention them, but always manage to remind myself that I really donít WEAR socks before I hit the purchase button.

Plus I am genuinely curious on if the majority of people wore socks more or less than me.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-19-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Why so few?
I have this wonderful invention called the washing machine which is used often enough to get the socks washed, so I never am without
You actually have many more pairs than I do!

I own about 3 black pairs (Old Navy, not sure how the categorize them, but I wear them with all work shoes- they go above my ankle, but they're not quite crew, I don't think?), 4 (black) athletic pairs (I wear all black tennis shoes, so I like black socks with them), and 5 "around the house" pairs (various thickness and styles)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote