Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Motivation..

>

delidkteach

Motivation..
Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Motivation to read seems to be a problem among adolescents. Typically, I think it has a lot to do with our society and how everything is so technology driven. On the flip side of that, I also think it has to do with the low socio-economic statues of many of the families in the United States. Families with low socio-economic statues typically also have adults who are illiterate or lack many literacy skills and therefore cannot help their students to better themselves. Either way, I see it as a "monkey see monkey do" kind of effect.
I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight to strategies to motivate adolescent students within the classroom and perhaps at home? How can we get the parents involved to help them motivate their students? Bribery and incentives only go so far at this age so I am looking for ideas that perhaps go beyond that. Thank you in advance!

delidkteach is offline   Reply With Quote

julyrose

Sad but true
Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used to bribe, punish, beg, and even force students who didn't have there
Kings to stay after school once a week and read! Then I read a lot of research and quit requiring it. I read to my students and don't force the issue. I have had more students achieve much higher reading goals than I would have e ER set for them. Good luck!
julyrose is offline   Reply With Quote