Help

The VENT

Horrible co-worker attacks me every year

>

jurisinceptor

Horrible co-worker attacks me every year
Old 05-22-2019, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is one of the most frustrating experiences because Iíve never dealt with anything like this. There is another teacher who does not like me and I donít know why. I guess itís a personality thing. Anyway, every year for about the past five years she will all of a sudden just blow up at me during lunch. Itís always out of the blue and itís vicious the way she attackís me. Students have also said that she humiliated them in class. The humiliation thing was reported and I think she has a pending investigation.

I just ignore her as I have done for years but this year it has affected me emotionally. I actually feel bullied by this teacher. Iíve never been mean to her I just donít deal with her but this year Iíve avoided many school functions because of her. Sheís making me want to leave my school. 😢😢

jurisinceptor is offline   Reply With Quote

IcyPeppermint

Oh no!
Old 05-22-2019, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh no, I am sorry this is happening to you! I have had similar situations, so without being judgemental, could she be entitled or have an elitist personality? In my experience, the personality clash tends to be that. Even if we don't mesh with people, we tend to ignore them, but someone who thinks that they are better won't do that. So, in either case, I learned after many years that the people who lash out aggressively have never had anyone give it back and if someone does give it right back, they back down. I don't think that you should avoid school functions; that is not fair to you! Maybe try standing up for yourself and seeing what happens.
IcyPeppermint is offline   Reply With Quote

jurisinceptor

Thank you
Old 05-22-2019, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Im actually afraid to confront this teacher.
jurisinceptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Contact human resources
Old 05-22-2019, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is a hostile work environment. It cannot be allowed to continue. Please contact the head of HR and file a grievance. You will be protected- this is just wrong. So sorry youíre been dealing with this, but you can stop her. ((Hug))
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-22-2019, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd follow Munchkin's advice and if you have a union file a grievance with the union as well. You should not ever be treated that way The grievance procedure takes care of the problem and you will not have to approach this person.

anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 05-22-2019, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yep. I have a bully teacher on my team. I always stand up to her. She definitely preys on people who donít stand their ground. She hates me. But I donít like her either. Stand your ground. You donít gave to be friends with her, just be professional.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Hostile environment
Old 05-22-2019, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. What you need to do first is address her in a calm manner and tell her simply that you don't appreciate the way she is talking to you. Once that is done (preferably with witnesses around), go straight to admin and report it.

If you get any retaliation, then you need to involve union and HR.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

happygal

You say
Old 05-22-2019, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

"Knock it off you lunatic" say it calmly, and walk away from this person
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote
TooTired2222

TooTired2222

Gaslighted!
Old 05-22-2019, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If you can, tell them exactly how you feel and tell them. I hate tattletales - and I would see some running to administration, as so. In opinion, it causes much more of a problem. If you something that happens with a student, let the student do it. My principal bullied me, until I quit this year. Her favorite teacher can bully his students, and get thumbs up! Go figure!
Emily26

Emily26

Shut it down
Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Don't be nice, don't be quiet, don't be scared. You're an adult professional, and she's acting like a worm. Tell her "Do NOT speak to me like that" and walk away. Every single time she does it. If she says things around other people, say (it helps if you use a really astonished tone), "Excuse me? What did you just say to me?" Bullies can't handle push back. They thrive on quiet and fear and count on people being afraid to stand up to them. And then absolutely seek out help. Take some specific examples to your admin--Not just "She's mean", but a very specific "She said X to me while I was standing with students, a similar incident Y happened two days later. It's not acceptable, and I need your help getting her to stop being so abusive to me before I reach out to file a complaint against her with HR for creating a hostile work environment". Be firm. Stick up for yourself.

GatsbysDream

Old 06-01-2019, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Stick up for yourself. I'm in a small school with about 15 faculty members not including admins. I don't get along with the "in crowd" at school, and it took awhile, but that's ok with me now.

I was left out, called to the proverbial carpet by some of these dimwits multiple times. It used to irk me, but not anymore.

I got into a verbal disagreement at graduation with a colleague and we do not get along. Don't make yourself out to be somebody who can be pushed over or brushed aside, otherwise, it will set you up for the situation I was in.

Be your best self in the classroom and find your tribe at work. If I didn't have my tribe I would go insane.

The kids know who the best teachers are, and it will show.

I considered talking to admin about it multiple times but decided I didn't want to drag them into the drama. I didn't want to be known as a troublemaker, and in the end, it paid off because I'm the National Honor Society advisor for the upcoming year.

Stand tall!
GatsbysDream is offline   Reply With Quote

ReggieDunlop

Take Action
Old 06-03-2019, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would also report this to hr.
If you can, try to remember every interaction where she was hostile and document it with dates when you report it.
If you are in New York, there is also the the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA). Your state may have a similar legal recourse. DASA is an anti-bullying law designed to give students and teachers the ability to report any incident of bullying or harassment. In NY, every school has a DASA representative who would be the contact person with any complaints of bullying. That person then begins an investigation which results in consequences to address the situation.
Whether it is a matter of going to HR, union, or something like DASA, you don't have to take it.
ReggieDunlop is offline   Reply With Quote