Establishing classroom culture (tips for next year) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

Establishing classroom culture (tips for next year)

>

Establishing classroom culture (tips for next year)
Old 08-25-2020, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

I begin student teaching this fall...somehow. I've been told the first week of class is so important for establishing classroom culture and I was looking forward to observing that process but I will no experience in a live classroom by the time I start next year.

Does anyone care to reminisce about how they used to establish classroom rules and a sense of community so I can have some ideas for next year? I'll be teaching high school math.

Thank you

1889 is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Hello:
Old 08-25-2020, 10:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I went to my district's New Teacher Week we were each given a copy of Harry Wong's The First Days of School: How to Be an Effective Teacher. I would get yourself a copy of this book and read it. I use to read it every year before the start of school. Harry has written other books that you might want to look at.

I haven't taught for several years so I won't say what I did in the past except to say I set my classroom rules using only positive words.... We Will Respect Each others' Space....my rules were based off the schools rules.

I would assume your teacher is doing class rules/procedures virtually. While your ice breakers in person might be/will be different virtually you can still get ideas on how to roll it out in person.

Good luck with your student teaching and future. K
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

Second
Old 08-26-2020, 03:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I second reading harry Wong’s book and having classroom agreements set by you and the students in a positive way.

I teach middle school and the first few days and even weeks are all about reinforcing the rituals and routines. For example, how to enter the room, what to do when you enter the room. Since it will be HS, it may be more like how do you want notes to be taken? Are you digital? I will tell you that I have been teaching ten years and there has yet to be a year where the first days have run smoothly. I try and take on a “go with the flow attitude”. Schedules will change, students will be in the wrong place, you may not finish your activity.

We do a few team building activities (google will be your friend). This year we will be taking the first month and focusing on trauma and social emotional learning.
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote