First Grade

Heading to 1st in the New Year... HELP!

>

Teach2b

Heading to 1st in the New Year... HELP!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I am reaching out for all of your insight, advice, words of wisdom...anything! I'm all ears!

There is about a 99% chance that I will be placed in a full-time Grade 1 position come January as currently I'm part-time in the upper grades and the district is going to have some movement.

I've taught every single grade K-7 with the exception of First. I would like to be as prepared as possible and want to know what I should be prepared for. What makes First unique? What are somethings I can look forward to? What are some of the challenges?

Teach2b is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

First is the best
Old 10-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

because the growth is huge! If you have a half day K then the transition to all day in first can be hard for many students. You must teach and model everything over and over again and they are very needy! You are responsible for teaching them to read and write from the very beginning...you help them learn the difference between a word and a sentence, a sentence and a story, etc. all while tying shoes, etc. Most principals say they put their best teachers in first. It can be very challenging especially because there is virtually no more play (and they are still so little) and it is their first time in an all day, very demanding academic setting, not that you can't make it fun:-). Also, you will be the first teacher to deliver "news" of academic challenges/issues to parents and that can be very hard on them. Often they resent it. Sometimes they don't accept the news until second grade when they hear it again. The first grade teachers have to do it first. However, they are adorable and loving children and when you see how far they've grown by June...you will feel a great sense of accomplishment. BTW, why are you starting in January? If they are used to the other teacher's style and policies, that will also be difficult for you. Otherwise...I think you will enjoy it! Good luck!
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 10-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'd forgotten how s-l-o-w beginning first graders can be. (By Jan, it might not be so bad.) I was used to just 2nd graders and REALLY had to slow down. If I go too fast, they are to say, "Wait, please."
I agree with everything the PP said.
Model everything...how to pass out papers, how to stand in line, how to flush the toilet...
Have fun.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach2b

Thank You!!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I truly appreciate everything you have both detailed! I haven't heard anything concrete yet... but its still a bit early. I'll be taking over for a maternity leave and my current contract ends in December. This is the SECOND year in a row that this has happened as last year I was in a temp position from Sept.- Dec. and then moved into another grade and position in January, so thankfully I have some experience in entering a classroom mid-year. Its never fun or easy thats for sure, but I'm up to the challenge and just want to be teaching instead of waiting for the subbing calls.

You may be seeing a lot of me around here if this goes through. I am excited and terrified all at the same time.
Teach2b is offline   Reply With Quote