Help

BusyBoard

How late do you stay?

>

CP

How late do you stay?
Old 01-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After reading the post on going in on weekends...it makes me wonder how late some people stay after school to accomplish their tasks.

Our kids leave #3:00 and we can leave at 3:15. I usually stay until 4:30-5:00 most weeknights to try to get things done......I attempt to leave at least one night a week EARLY (for me anyway 4:00ish). What about everyone else?

CP is offline   Reply With Quote

kckrzy

Old 01-07-2012, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our kids leave at 3:30 and we can officially leave at 4:00. I usually stay until 5:30 or 6:00 most nights. I do try to leave early (by 5:00) one day a week. I also spend several hours at school on Sunday too.
kckrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

goodie1505

weekends?
Old 01-07-2012, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are times when I wish our building was open, or that we had keys to go in on the weekends, because I could go in and at least make copies of things or do some organizing, but I never get to go in on the weekends or vacation. I do however spend plenty of time at home on the weekend correcting & planning. As a new teacher I am wondering how many new initiatives a year we will get. I constantly feel like I am recreating the wheel.

I generally stay until 3:30-4pm Mondays & Fridays, Tuesdays are until 5ish because i have extra help until 3 and then I do my own thing, Wednesdays vary, I try to leave around 2:45, unless we have a faculty meeting, Wednesdays are my 1 day for me & Thursdays I have grad class.

Wish we got paid hourly...
goodie1505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Really just depends
Old 01-07-2012, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My students are out at 3:00. My goal is to stay until 4:45 to 5:00 everyday. However, sometimes I am just so tired and/or hungry at the end of the day, that I leave at 3:45 (required to stay until 3:45).

Students start school at 8:00. Teachers are required to be at school at 7:45. I arrive between 6:30 and 7:00 each day. If I showed up at 7:45, I would feel way to overwhelmed!

I'm a first year teacher though...I'm sure once I get use to all the work have been doing the job for awhile, I won't stay as late/come as early!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

BMc

I set a timer to remind me to leave
Old 01-07-2012, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I get to school an hour before it starts and have a reminder set on my phone to go home one hour after the students leave. I try not to bring work home to mark--most the time I don't do it and haul it back to school unmarked the next day. I do spend a lot of time on the computer at night though--checking out this site and many others!

BMc is offline   Reply With Quote

westwitch

not feeling so bad now
Old 01-07-2012, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wow! I thought I was bad! Our kids are in from 8:10 to 2:20. I get to school by 6:45-7:00. On two of those mornings I offer extra help sessions starting at 7:30 (by contract). I absolutely, positively refuse to go in there on weekends or over winter or spring break. I do go in in the summer before school starts for a few days. Am also guilty of doing way too much work at home. I live two blocks from the school and walk most days-I have a family member haul me out of there by 4:00. Teacherbee, I've been at it for years-

It's funny though: I used to be the only one in the building at 7:00. This year, there must be more than half a dozen of us in there (some arrive earlier than I do!). Our building is open until 6:00 for afterschool program, so there are people who stay later than I do, too!
westwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Spunkybee2

Seems never ending
Old 01-07-2012, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It always seems to me that no matter how much time I spend at school that there is always more to do. Being that this was the first week back after break I thought maybe I would be able to get out of school earlier than I have been, but it still didn't seem to happen. I usually arrive at school by 7:30 (contract 7:40) and most days don't make it out of there until 5 (contract 3:10). I have also found myself going back to school to work when I drop my kids off at one of their practices instead of going home. This is my tenth year and keep thinking I will start feeling less overwhelmed, but it isn't happening! I am glad to know I am not alone.
Spunkybee2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach2b

Morning!
Old 01-07-2012, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My mind is fried by the end of the day so nothing productive is ever done. I usually stay 30 mins max and make a list of what I need to have for the next day/week.

I do all of my work in the early morning while my mind is strong. I get in about 1.5 - 2 hours early and get it all done while sipping my coffee listening to silence! I only wish the school was closer.... over an hour each way so I'm up SO early every morning... but it works for me.
Teach2b is offline   Reply With Quote

kimmarie

I wish we got paid by the hours we worked too
Old 01-07-2012, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do not arrive early, but I do tend to stay very late some days, sometimes 3-4 hours after the students leave trying to make sure I am prepared. I also spend time on the weekends/holiday breaks and sometimes the weeknights(mostly on the computer on PT and other favorite sites). I am a very organized person so that is not a problem, but it seems there is always something else that needs to get done.

I calculated by the hour how much money I would make if I was paid for the approximate hours I really worked, and this does not even include if I decide to do something over the summer. I am giving up $20,000.00 worth of time on work. Wow!! That could be a VERY nice, relaxing summer vacation each year, or a huge chunk on a mortgage. I wish!!
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

staying after school
Old 01-07-2012, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Our kids are dismissed at 3:35. We can leave at 3:50. I am generally at school until 5:00. I still don't get everything done though.

Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mcquita

Hours
Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

As a 23 year veteran, I still put in the hours. I believe in order to be effective, the time must be put in. To create to challenging lessons, time must be spent on preparation. This is what the public does not understand about our job. I am in 45 minutes before contract start time and least 45-60 minutes at the end of the day. Some evenings and weekends I still have work at to do at home. In reality, I love my job! I love working with students and creating fun challenging lessons for them. Each day, week and year is different...and it brings huge rewards.
Mcquita is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We are required to be at school by 7:30, school starts at 8:00. Students get on the bus at 3:45, and picker-uppers are supposed to be picked up by 3:50 but it's usually more like 4 for a lot of them. We have to stay until 4:30. I leave most days at 5-5:30. They are long days, but we only work Mon-Thurs. I do work a lot of weekends, and evenings too.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Duty day ends at 3:50. Three days a week I leave by 4:00 because my daycare closes at 4:30 and it's a 20 minute drive. My DH works later so I have to pick our kids up, which is fine because it forces me to leave and be with my kids!

Mondays my DH is home, so I usually stay until 4:30-5:00. Wednesdays my mom watches my kids so I leave school by 4:30.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

TwistingTeach

Hours
Old 01-07-2012, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I arrive between 8:15 and 8:30, but usually closer to 8:30, which is contract time. Our students arrive at 8:40 and leave at 3:00 and we can leave at 3:45 M-Th and at 3:15 on Fridays. I usually stay until 5:00 or 6:00, except on Fridays. Happy hours are on Fridays!

We have some other late stayers. Many of the teachers at my school leave at or right after contract time but they arrive super early-some at 7 and some even arrive at 6! I've never been able to understand how teachers manage to leave at contract time. Not because I think there's anything wrong with that, it's just that it can take me 15 minutes just to put my cellphone and keys in my purse!
TwistingTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

wayyyyy too much time
Old 01-08-2012, 12:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I too arrive early 3 days per week to tutor before school (1 1/2 hrs.) and stay until 5:30 or 6:00pm (weather permitting). Friday seems like the busiest day to stay late on our campus. I never try to make copies on Friday because the line is long. I also end up going in maybe one Sat. per month for a couple of hours and one day during vacations (weather permitting) as well. After 30 years of teaching I truly envy those teachers that have acquired in "working smarter and not harder." I tell my colleagues that I should park an RV in the parking lot and eliminate the hour each way commute! But hey, the way the economy is going someone probably will take my car keys away from me BEFORE I will be able to financially retire and I'll need to sleep in the RV anyways! Haha
Good thing we all love our jobs. ♡♡♡
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Eucalyptus

Stay Late
Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I arrive about 30seconds before I HAVE to be there (sometimes a minute after ) and so am generally the one running into the morning meeting breathless and apologising .

We finish at 245pm and have to stay until 3.00...

I generally stay until 5-530pm to get as much done as I can at school... atlhough I still spend time on the computer at home ... checking out PT and doing other "searching"... or preparing things for the next day. I usually/often do this after the kids and DH are asleep and so end up going to bed quite late... it's hard but it works for us.. and I catch up on sleep on the weekend.

I got better at NOT doing this in 2011, and hope to continue in 2012. It's important for me to give my family/DH attention when at home (and they are awake!). DH works very hard (a physical job) each day too... and deserves my attention when he is at home. When I first started teaching I neglected my family in favour of work - for at least the first year... and it was horrible - for us all!
Eucalyptus is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

after 25 years...
Old 01-08-2012, 06:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'm still trying to find that balance between work and home. I think I'm better, but I'm not sure! I arrive 1 hour before the students (45 minutes before contracted time) and leave at least 1 hour after them most days, and 2 hours after them (5:00) usually once a week. I try to leave by 4:15 to beat my DH home from work. I work through most of my lunch, but try to take at least 15 minutes to eat in the teachers' room and see some grown-ups. This year I'm trying not to get too far ahead of myself. No matter how late I stay there's ALWAYS something else to do. I love working in my classroom, but need to remember I have a life at home, too. I will always be a work in progress!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

smannes

Old 01-08-2012, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Too late. I arrive an hour before we're supposed to be there. The kids are dismissed at 2:45 and we're required to stay until 3:20. I have some sort Of meeting almost every day of the week so I don't generally leave until 6ish. I was furious with myself the other night because I had a meeting that went to 5 and then I stayed another 3 1/2 hrs to get things done.
smannes is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetsong32

Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I do not go in on weekends or holidays. Except for during the summer. In the summer, I will start going in July ONE day a week to clean out and reorganize. (We usually start back the first week of August)

We are required to be at work at 8:00. I am usually there by 7:20. We are to stay until 4:00. Most days I am out of there by 4:30.
Every once in a while I may stay late on Friday until about 6:00. But that is ONLY if it was a very busy week and I wasn't able to get a lot done during my planning times.

I do NOT take work home. If I can not get it done at school, then it just doesn't get done.
sweetsong32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reader

Daily schedule
Old 01-08-2012, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I am always at school 1 hour before school starts. Going home schedule is different every day, depending on meetings. On Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays I usually stay until dark 5 or 5:30. I still take work home with me at least 4 days a week.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote

pokeosu

Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I always come in early, so I don't stay that late.
pokeosu is offline   Reply With Quote

crteacher

Come in early
Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

My thought was I'll come in early, so I don't have to too late. This doesn't really seem to work very well though with all the duty, staff meetings and committee meetings we have after school. That really eats into my time to get ready for the next day, so I don't seem to ever leave before 4:30. It's frustrating and makes me want to quit coming in early because it's not really helping me get out of there any earlier.
crteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodTimzRoll

Depends on the day!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I work at a 2:15 dismissal school, but I tutor two days a week until 4:00. On other days I leave about 3:30p.m ! I could leave immediately at 2:30 but I always have something that needs to be graded, entered or completed and hate procrastinating even though it's usally already due!
GoodTimzRoll is offline   Reply With Quote

COLT2

Old 01-08-2012, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

We dismiss at 2:50, are required to stay until 3:30, and I stay until 4:00. I would stay later but DH gets mad! Really I leave at 4:00 because he thinks that is the time we have to stay until. Isn't that bad? With 2 DS's it's hard to do school work at home. On Tuesdays we are required to stay until 4:30. It used to be 5:00. Again, as far as DH is concerned it is still 5:00. Sometimes I wish I had just one day a week to stay as late as I want to get caught up. Then I would be home early each day.
COLT2 is offline   Reply With Quote

hapteacher

hours
Old 01-08-2012, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

WOW, I feel a little better, I too.. have wondered how others can leave early. Official start time is 8:00 and end is 3:30 however, that does not include staff meetings, or other meetings required. Tuesday -weekly meeting until about 4:30 so that is usually much later in order to prepare. I arrive at 7:30 ish and leave at 5:00 most days. Still take work home.
I continue to remind myself that I am going to leave earlier but; not yet. On each day I have 30min prep time without students. (usually ends up more like 20) by time class is delievered to gym or music room and then I am required to be there to return to my classroom. (Also have 45 minutes for lunch except duty day Still, I do so enjoy the challenge of teaching...
hapteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-08-2012, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Our kids leave at 3:00, and we can leave at 3:20. I usually stay until between 4:00-4:30, but I'm usually talking, not working.

I always put my stuff on the board for the next day, and I'll get out anything I'm going to need for the next day. Sometimes I'll have to pick up something or straighten desks if the kids forgot to do it.

I can get that done in the 20 minutes between the time the kids leave and I can leave.

I went to school yesterday for about 30 minutes to get ready for my sub tomorrow. I stay after until 5:00 one day a week with my intern.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

mohawk

Wow
Old 01-08-2012, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I feel better now. I get to school 6:45, half hour before kids. School is out at 1:50 and contract time is 2:20. I generally leave at 2:30 or 3:00.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

BMc

early start times!!
Old 01-08-2012, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Wow! Can't believe how early some schools start! We start at 9 and end at 3:30--with an hour break for lunch. Can't imagine starting at 7:15!
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote

sparklinteach

Stay only during contracted time
Old 01-09-2012, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I am there at 7:20 when the kids arrive and leave right after the buses leave. I do not put in any extra time and somehow get it all done. Love my job but I don't get paid to work extra time and my family is my top priority.
sparklinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

staying late
Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Student dismissal = 3:00
Teachers can leave at 4:00pm

I usually leave around 4:30 or so.

I have my DS6 with me, and my DD13 walks over from the middle school. If they weren't with me I'd stay until at least 5:00pm most days.

Tulips
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote