Help

The VENT

Butterflies - So Nervous!

>

Teach2b

Butterflies - So Nervous!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Tomorrow I start with a whole new class in a whole new school and I'm a nervous mess! I've been at the school all break setting up so I'm as ready as I can be. I've met the principal, secretary and 2 other teachers and everyone has been super supportive.

I'm just worried about the kids! They didn't find out they were getting a new teacher until the last day before break and I don't know how they are going to react to a whole new room ( it was a combined class that was separated due to large numbers), a new teacher, new system etc. Its a grade 1/2 group.

I'm so nervous, that my stomach is doing somersaults and its only Sunday morning!

Teach2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Good Luck! I am sure it will go well. Little kids are usually pretty accepting and adaptable. Keep us posted!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

Milyn

you'll be fine
Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You and the students will be fine. You are just starting your new school year in January instead of September. There will be some getting used to each other and routines, but in the end you and the students will be fine.

I always stress before a new school year. Stressing is normal, but I always end us making it through the first day and year.

Do you happen to have a little something as an ice breaker to give the students? On my first day I always give them a welcome letter and a little something from me to take home and keep. Gifts always do the thing to make children comfortable and feel special and important. A book is always nice. The Dollar Stores usually have books that are good give-aways. Having said this, it isn't necessary. It is just something I do.

Good luck and enjoy your new school and position.
Milyn is offline   Reply With Quote

markv50

Old 01-08-2012, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Go in confident or fake it 'til you make it. Set the ground rules right away. You'll do great! Remember being nervous is not a bad thing.
markv50 is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowflowers

Best of luck!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Congratulations! You sound like an awesome teacher and are super-prepared. It's always the norm to be stressed no matter how ready you think you are. Let us know how your day went. I'm sure it will be great!

yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Di

I agree with Milyn
Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is just like the first day of school - do everything like you would do in Aug/Sept.

The students are young and resilient - in a few days they won't even remember what their "old" class was like!

Good luck and enjoy them!
Lady Di is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach2b

Thank you!!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My mind is making it much worse than it really is. Hate when that happens!

I have a welcome letter for them to take home and pencils. I created an entire room for them with their own bins, labels, books, reading corner etc. I truly hope they like it and are as excited as I am... I know there is going to be a honeymoon period and then their true personalities will shine through.

I just need to learn to breathe and allow my confidence (whatever is left at this point lol) to shine through. We are all meeting with their old classroom first as they don't even know where this one is, and then we'll head to ours.

I'm going to go over routines, expectations and behaviour systems. I'll do a classroom tour to show them where everything is.

Aaaah....I can't wait until Tuesday.... I hate the first day!
Teach2b is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It sounds like you have done most of what you can do to set up for the students. Will you have the first graders again next year? It probably will be challenging coming into a class part way through the year is in any circumstance. However it sounds like you have it set up with a beginning of the year plan which is important and you have their old teacher to seek advise and planning support from.

Are they coming from a combined 1/2 into your combined 1/2 or are they coming from a single grade class into a combined class or a combined class into a single grade class? If it is a combined class being moved to a new teacher try and hold onto as much of the previous teacher's planning for the first weeks or so. It tends to make the transition smoother. Then slowly change what you want to change. It would have been nice if the principal had given a week with you coteaching with their past teacher then move them into the new classroom to make it even smoother.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 01-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Wow, it sounds like you've got everything covered! The kids will be probably be as nervous as you, so just remember that. Good luck.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

How did your first day go?

EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote