Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Chime In- Was I Sneaky Husband or Not?

>

Speced9

Chime In- Was I Sneaky Husband or Not?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay, here's my dilemma- my wonderful wife wanted to do something special for me for Christmas. Since I just got a new car, she ordered new floor mats for me. I'm a big St. Louis Cardinals' fan, so that was the route she took, or so she thought.

When I opened the box, the mats were still in the shipping bag they came in. She hadn't opened or inspected them before she wrapped them up. I knew what they were because of their shape/weight etc. , but as I opened the shipping bag, I immediately saw what was wrong- they were NFL ARIZONA CARDINALS floor mats. Seeing the wonderful look on her face (she was so proud), I couldn't bring myself to tell her that they weren't what I wanted. I continued to act surprised and excited, and immediately took them (bag and all) out to the garage to put them in my car.

I couldn't figure out what to do. She was so darn happy giving them to me, and, to make matters worse, she mentioned that she ordered them at a flea market/sports show while out of town (can you say UNRETURNABLE?). So, I don't know if she made the mistake of thinking the NFL was the same as the MLB team, or if the guy she had them sent by messed up. It's my guess that she picked them out and had the guy ship them to our house so that she wouldn't have to cart them home in her luggage.

Anyway, here's what I decided to do. I decided to buy another set of them on the sly and switch them out. She hasn't seen them in my car yet, and I doubt she'd notice anyway. I just don't want to hurt her feelings. One problem though. How do I buy new ones without her knowing? I went through many, many scenarios that wouldn't work, but finally I came upon a great idea-

I signed up for a credit card from a well-known internet store. When you signed up for the card, you automatically got a free $50 gift card to the internet store. I used the gift card to buy new mats (free shipping too!) and had them sent to my school. When they arrive, I'll swap them out.

So, I'm correcting the mistake without spending money and hopefully won't have to tell my wife that my Christmas present had "issues".

What I want to know is this- especially from the wives out there-

Am I a rat for doing this on the sly? Should I just have told my wife that they were not the right team as soon as I noticed? Chime in!

anngirl

Old 12-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't call you a rat. Sounds like you were doing this in the best interest of your wife. You wanted to make her feel good.

, my DH wouldn't have hesitated to let me know the problem. I think I probably would have liked to know (after lots and lots of compliments on how thoughtful it was) but it sound like you are in too deep now!

MACMama

Yep
Old 12-29-2011, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would have told the wife that you swapped them out.

redmonkey

Old 12-29-2011, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think what you are doing is very sweet and thoughtful. You do not want her to be dissappointed with the mistake. If my husband went through all that for me I would probably cry over how sweet that is. I think it is somewhat sneaky involving getting a new credit card and all that but I do not see anything wrong with what you are doing!

Mercury

Hmmmmmm
Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think I would want to know... Not at that moment of opening but maybe later you could tell her? I don't know much about sports so I could see myself making a mistake like this. yah, I'd want to know.

subczy

awwww
Old 12-29-2011, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think it is sweet you both care so much. Since you have already commenced with your plan I wish you luck and if you get caught come clean!

Gromit

Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think you're sweet for doing it that way, but I wouldn't have a problem with DH telling me I was wrong about a gift. So depending on your wife, you probably could have just told her.

teach102

Old 12-29-2011, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think what you are doing is a very sweet. If she does find out, I am guessing she will be happy you did not want to hurt her feelings!

aeiouteach

Old 12-29-2011, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with teach102. You are a very thoughtful hubby.

terryteach

Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My DH lets me know when I've gotten it wrong. You were being thoughtful and didn't want to hurt your wife's feelings. However, when it comes to money matters, like opening a new credit line, DH and I always let each other know.

I'm thinking that eventually you'll want to let your DW know. I think when you tell her all the trouble you went through and the dilemma of what to do, that her heart will melt with your thoughtfulness.

L8 4 School

Was there a packing slip??
Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Since it was still in the wrap, just check the packing slip. I'm sure if it was their error, they will exchange it.

My mom ordered me a butter dish to go with my dishes and it turned out to be a creamer/sugar tray set. She never checked either.

SwimmerGirl

Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

SO SWEET! Good job!

Kendall

Old 12-29-2011, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I agree with checking the packing slip- but I wonder if there is an emblem if she will see it in your car and then later notice that the emblem looks different. I think I'd tell her and she will most likely be so glad that you corrected the problem and you were so thoughtful in doing so (especially since it won't cost any more money. You are so thoughtful!

kahluablast

Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It really was sneaky, but I love that you just wanted her to be happy with the present.

The one thing that would bother me is the new credit card. Can you make sure you cancel it so she doesn't think you have something on the side when she finds out about it?

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-29-2011, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I think you are being very thoughtful !

Nancy

cool2read

mmm that's a tough one
Old 12-29-2011, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

but I think you had good intentions and they weren't what you wanted so I probably would try to swap the mats out and not mention it. She probably is so proud of them and it sounds to me like you didn't want to hurt her feelings. Good intentions.

tchrpen

Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I think you are both sweet. She was obviously really proud of her gift and you don't want to hurt her feelings. I would trybto find some way to tell her about the snaffoo. Explain that you got the new ones for free and maybe you can figure out a way to send the orginal ones back. Just a thought. I am only thinking aboutbher feelings. If i had nought them, I would much rather hear the truth from my BF. Ibwould be embarrassed for getting the wrong sport, but then we would laugh about it. If he just switched them and didn't tell me, I would be really hurt and then I would get angry at him, because I would be embarrassed. I hope that make sense. You know what they say, the truth will set you free. Good luck.

pen&paper

Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Dear St Louis Cardinals fan,

You are so cute to try and be "sneaky" about making this switch. You obviously care a great deal --about your wife, about making her happy, and about your team. Go along with it and move on. You've done the right thing. Now enjoy those floor mats.

LisaLin3

I have a similiar delima
Old 12-29-2011, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My dh bought me some perfume. He said I know you like it. Well I really don't. He has bought this for me before. I think this time I'm going to take it back to the store and exchange. The only problem the store is about an hour and half away and we are usually together. I don't want to hurt his feelings since he thought he did so well. But I'm going to try and find a time to return it.

Rubyslippers

Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

You need to tell her the truth in case she starts buying MORE stuff w/the wrong team logo on it!

canteach

Good for you!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Now you are both happy.
My mother's favorite Christmas stories are the ones where my dad sent her gifts he chose at the store and had shipped to her. She wrapped them herself so he wouldn't know the store had not done it and he would not be crushed. She has never told him. They have been married for over 55 years.

Belly

I
Old 12-30-2011, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Would rather my husband just tell me the truth. I get that you are trying to spare her feelings though.

Dalsmom

Old 12-30-2011, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

LisaLin3-- how about if you and your hubby go together to return the perfume. Tell him you still have some/quite a bit of the other perfume left (I am sure you do if you are not crazy about it) and have him "help" pick out a new perfume. It can be you winter fragrance Then go and enjoy a wonderful lunch!

Dalsmom

Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

My vote is... not sneaky! Chances are she will not even notice the switch. No offense, I wouldn't . Next time when you are together in your car, point out the mats- this will give her a visual to your team's correct logo for future purchases