Help

Kindergarten

Pacing For Reading Small Groups

>

kinderlady7

Pacing For Reading Small Groups
Old 07-08-2020, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all! I am working on planning my instruction for small groups, but I'm struggling with pacing (this is me pretending things will be the same this year knowing good and well it probably won't be, but lets pretend lol).

The curriculum we have recommends 4 different stations in addition to meeting with teacher during reading small group time. These are Independent Reading, Fluency, Word Work, and Writing. But, it doesn't provide ideas for activities to do during these centers.

My question is, when should I move my students along? After the first 4 months or so, the curriculum will have covered all the letters. At that time, should I stop with letter recognition activities? Do I then move to identifying the sound/using that letter in a word or what? Does anyone have a resource they use to pace themselves or to use as an activity bank for small groups?

Thanks in advance! I know this was a very broad question, but this will be my second year teaching and I'm trying to get ORGANIZED and PLANNED as early as possible!

kinderlady7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-08-2020, 11:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, that is a very broad question.

My small groups reflect what we are doing in the curriculum, but tailored to the ability levels of the students. I am constantly moving them along, but at different paces. 4 months in some kids are still working on letters and sounds, and others are reading early readers (with the occasional fluent reader or two thrown in!).

Does your curriculum have a pacing guide? That's where I would start. Look specifically at phonological awareness and phonics, as those are the two key components.

We do letter and sound recognition every day for the first month or two. I introduce them all in the first couple of weeks and then we do a quick review every day. But concurrent with that we are working on the phonological awareness skills that they will need for early reading. I do use a letter of the week format, as that's what my curriculum does, but I just use the letter as a focus for other activities (sound sorts, handwriting practice, etc), not as an introduction to the letter.

As for your small groups, I find so many people run them in so many different ways. I don't like doing rotations, so my kids only do one center per day and then have a bunch of may-do options to choose from when they are done (games, manipulatives, puzzles, etc). Other people do 3-5 centers per day. It's more of a personal preference. I usually don't do any guided reading until January, and switch between guided writing and phonics skills during my small group.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote