Help

Teachers' Lounge

Larry-Training Update

>

Jackie

Larry-Training Update
Old 08-29-2021, 07:42 AM

For any dog people interested....

Good and bad news on my big guy. I'll start with the good news. He's been in board and train since the first week of June. He's made a lot of progress. I have started going there to get trained on how to handle him 2x a week. I can now successfully take him on walks. He has not gone on a walk at home since June. Whenever we encounter anything scary now like a loud truck, he heels, focuses on me, and doesn't pay attention to the scary thing anymore. He is perfect on leash. All his training has been on leash. My reason for taking him to this program was because he was so fearful and anxious. I was warned when we went for our evaluation that fear issues can turn into aggression problems as dogs get older.

Now the bad news. Three days ago, my dh had a friend of his stop by at night. I asked my dh if I should leash the dog. He told me Larry already met this friend and it would be fine. Fun fact-dh was wrong and Larry never saw him before. Larry was in the kitchen when his friend walked in (door was open). Larry didn't realize anyone came in until he heard the unfamiliar voice. Larry ran up to him to sniff him tail wagging. All of a sudden, Larry's demeanor changed and he started growling at him. It was definitely not a happy growl. I immediately leashed him and he calmed down and everything luckily ended well. I mentioned the incident the next day when I dropped the dog off at training. They told me they would do an immediate temperament test on him. Larry failed the temperament test. Not badly though. In fact, only his handler noticed he was getting upset because she could feel the low growl in him through the leash. The aggression isn't coming out yet because he's still young, but it's there. I spoke to all the trainers when I picked him up. They told me within the next year or so, he will most likely start to bite if he is off leash and gets spooked by something. They told me with immediate aggression control training they could stop it. I completely trust these trainers and I honestly saw this coming before I even took my dog here for his initial evaluation.

So now, my dog will be finishing up his on leash training (almost done) and start aggression control training. He will have to be boarded there for this and not come home until he is done. When I asked why, they told me it's because they will be bringing the aggression out in a controlled setting and to shut it down immediately. Since they will be bringing it out, it's dangerous to bring him home. After the aggression training is complete, he will continue on for off leash training. I want this so he can learn the commands in the house and not have to be leashed in the house if people come over. So Larry will be in board and train for at least another four months. I'm hoping he will be done by Christmas. I swear I'm earning my angel wings with this dog.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Larry.pdf (154.5 KB, 110 views)
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 08-29-2021, 07:52 AM

Thank you for all your doing for Larry. To look at his picture, you wouldn’t think he had an aggressive bone in his body!
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

FionaJ

Old 08-29-2021, 07:56 AM

I am so impressed with your devotion to helping your dog. You’re investing a lot of money, time, energy, and thought to resolving his issues. Too many pets lack that level of love and care from their humans. I’m hoping for the best!
FionaJ is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-29-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I swear I'm earning my angel wings with this dog.
Yes you are! You are such a wonderful dog mom. How is your DS reacting to all this attention on Larry and missing Larry?
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 08-29-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
How is your DS reacting to all this attention on Larry and missing Larry?
My ds is a good kid. He loves the darn dog so he's happy to have a more well behaved dog. Larry hasn't left full time yet. That level of training should start in another week. One silver lining, he will be boarded all of September so that will make my life easier with all the back to school stress.

Quote:
To look at his picture, you wouldn’t think he had an aggressive bone in his body!
He's a really sweet dog-a gigantic marshmallow. The possibility of aggression is not something I am not willing to tolerate. I saw and heard the possibility. It was unsettling to say the least.

h0kie

Larry!
Old 08-29-2021, 08:29 AM

The things they don’t tell you when you get a dog.

His growling sounds so much like the issue we were having with Swift…only he was getting aggressive toward other dogs. Still a no. The trainer was surprised as his litter mates are chill, marshmallows. Apparently, Swift is a black sheep. lol After his boot camp stay (as we called it) , he’s a reformed puppers.

When did Larry get so huge!? He’s adorable.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-29-2021, 09:07 AM

Larry is so lucky to have you as him mom. I hope he breezes through his training and is successful and that the time he is away goes quickly for you.
all41 is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Wow…
Old 08-29-2021, 11:15 AM

Thank you for hanging in there for this beautiful boy. Any ideas about what triggered his extreme fearfulness? I’m sorry that your family is going through this, but you are so smart to act proactively to prevent a potentially devastating situation.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 08-29-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Any ideas about what triggered his extreme fearfulness?
Honestly? I truly believe the problem was caused by his first trainer I had who only believed in positive reinforcement training. Positive reinforcement training-sounds nice doesn't it? However, used with a dog like mine, and you are accidentally positively reinforcing the fear and anxiety. I feel if I had just used the trainers I am using now, I wouldn't be having as many issues as I am having. The trainers I have now are amazing and my dog is definitely getting better.

mommy9298

Old 08-29-2021, 02:12 PM

Wow! That’s a lot! I hope Larry overcomes his anxiety and fear and is a loved pet for many years. Did you reach out to the breeder? Has there been any issues with other dogs?

mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Wow
Old 08-29-2021, 02:47 PM

Larry is lucky you are his family.
tctrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-29-2021, 03:56 PM

Thank you for loving your guy enough to want to make him a better doggie. I hope he is home for Christmas. He is a Love Muffin.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-29-2021, 06:25 PM

You are so dedicated and persistent. Larry is truly blessed to be part of your family. Please keep us updated on how things are going.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote