Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

How to Say Goodbye

>

MissESL

How to Say Goodbye
Old 10-10-2021, 01:00 PM

My aide has put in her two weeks notice to my principal. She has not personally told me to anyone else.
I haven’t said anything about it, even though I know it’s happening, because my principal forwarded her resignation letter to me.
Normally, I would do a last day lunch or treats and buy a small gift. But based on the fact that it seems like she thinks only the principal knows…she wants it to be hush hush? Any thoughts on how best to handle this goodbye?

I will add we are strictly professional, because that’s the way I think teacher-aide relationships work the best. We are friendly and get along/work well together, but we are not super close.

MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-10-2021, 01:12 PM

I would not say anything until she says something to you. Obviously she didn't want you to know at this point.

If she tells you before her last day, I would still bring in the small gift (if that's what you want to do) and thank her for her work. If she doesn't tell you before then, I would take that as a sign that she doesn't want any fanfare. Just thank her for the time she spent with you and wish her luck for the future.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 10-10-2021, 02:47 PM

Perhaps I'm not understanding completely.

Since your principal forwarded her resignation letter to you, I'd ask the principal if her resignation is a secret since she hasn't said anything to you. Perhaps he/she told her the resignation was being forwarded to you and she's waiting for you to say something. I have no idea why that would be unless she's very unhappy about having to leave.

It is strange.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Leaving
Old 10-10-2021, 03:39 PM

Well she was half time, supposed to go full time after Halloween, She is way over qualified but was struggling to find something in her field. Now she was actually hired so she is resigning and leaving early, before the month is up.

I don’t think it is a matter of happy/unhappy, I just think she always knew it was temporary and isn’t super attached (which is fine).

The secret thing is the weird thing for me, too. My principal forwarded with “I’m sure she has already told you but here is the official notice anyway” - he assumes she told me and she didn’t to me means she doesn’t really want me to know?

I do not know, it’s weird all over! Thanks for the advice, though!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 10-10-2021, 04:45 PM

I probably would have let her know you received notice via P that her last day will be XXX and had a small convo. It would be gphard for me to just ignore the so called elephant in the room.

Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote