Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Bank Problem….at our wits end!

>

Katluv

Bank Problem….at our wits end!
Old 11-08-2021, 06:11 PM

My son has an account at our local bank. I am a joint owner on the account stemming back to when he was in college. He is starting his Master's next month and I decided to stay on the account until he has it complete because I’m helping pay for his degree.

3 weeks ago he tried to deposit a $2,000 check using the bank’s mobile deposit. It didn’t work for some reason. He tried it again the next day, no luck. He took his check to the bank and deposited it in person. Well, they told him there was a glitch in their system and because he tried to deposit mobily, that messed something up internally.
What the heck????

He has been in contact with the branch manager who keeps apologizing and tells him he “doesn’t know what’s going on”! Excuse me!

Last week, I reached out to the bank via Facebook messenger and they forwarded it to their “escalation team” in Cincinnati (we’re in WA). Some guy has been in contact with my son, but as of last Friday, the money is still NOT in his account. My son tried calling yet again today (he calls everyday and gets the runaround) and the guy was out of the office.

My son (and I) are so frustrated with this, it’s beyond maddening. The bank is stealing my son’s money and doesn’t seem to care. It’s been 3 weeks! And 2k is a lot of money!

I guess it’s time for me to get involved since I’m a joint owner of the account. Who do I call? What do I do? What type of lawyer deals with this if I have to threaten that route?

Had anyone ever dealt with something like this?

Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 11-08-2021, 06:20 PM

Your son could try calling the office that handles banking regulations in the state.
This is a few years old, but offices of regulation do not usually change.
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/ask-...lator-en-1637/
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-08-2021, 06:53 PM

You mentioned Cincinnati...would this happen to be Fifth/Third? My mom went ROUNDS with them with my grandpa's accounts (he had dementia, so she was also on them). Eventually, she hired a lawyer to write some sort of certified letter. I believe she paid 50 bucks for it and found the lawyer through the company that always did her taxes (so it was someone familiar with financial stuff). That got them moving pretty quickly. And as soon as everything was sorted out, she pulled every cent out and switched to another bank.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikecoffee

Old 11-09-2021, 05:47 AM

How about setting up accounts with another bank? Then just go in and close all of your accounts and have them transferred to the new bank.

Don’t discuss, don’t negotiate, just close and deposit into the new account.

Why give business to such uncaring, unproductive incompetents?
Mikecoffee is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-09-2021, 05:53 AM

I wouldn't take any money out until the situation was resolved. I also wouldn't talk with tellers, I would already have the phone number of someone with power to look into and get it resolved. I know that is hard anymore- but someone has to be in charge.

Was the check from an individual and needs funds available first? It is very strange for this to happen.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 11-09-2021, 01:51 PM

Write a letter to the manager of the branch and lay out all facts, dates and interactions. Include a copy of the receipt if you still have it. Also include what it will take to resolve this to your satisfaction. CC it to the bank president and the banking regulator branch in your state. Send it certified and require their signature upon receipt.

Once you have done that step, give them a bit of time, and if you still don't have any satisfaction, take step 2. Tell them you will take this matter to Small Claims Court and sue them for the return of your money plus some extra for your time, effort, and mental stress.

Last edited by Song of Joy; 11-09-2021 at 10:21 PM..
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Claire

Old 11-09-2021, 04:36 PM

What kind of check was it? Maybe funds being available has something to do with it.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

Update…
Old 11-09-2021, 05:01 PM

Tyler from Cincinnati called my son today. The check in question is a partial one from his work (he only got part of his check in October due to an error from the HR person but that’s a whole other mess). Because he tried to deposit it 3 different times, it was read as an error (even though it never got deposited). Tyler is going try to override it but if that doesn’t work, my son will have to ask for a new paycheck from work…ugh. I guess this is a “glitch” that rarely is seen. I get that those things may happen but the fact that KeyBank let it get to 3 weeks with no resolution is the part that is such a bad look on them. My son isn’t going to let up until his money is in there!
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-09-2021, 06:04 PM

Although that isn't as good as "your issue is resolved and the check is available in your account" at least someone looked into it. Too bad if your son has to ask for another check- how unfortunate, but hopefully his payroll department is worth their salt and takes care of it quickly.

I wouldn't let up on that much money either!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 11-11-2021, 08:46 PM

I hope he gets it resolved quickly. My parents banked at Wells Fargo and I ended up having to move their accounts to a small local area bank because all the rules were so hard to follow while dealing with POA's etc.

I've been okay so far with our big bank (Bank of America) and still work with them, but I've heard from other many people that the smaller banks and credit unions are easier to deal with.

MKat is online now   Reply With Quote