Help

Teachers' Lounge

Who else is EXHAUSTED!!

>

eliza4one

Who else is EXHAUSTED!!
Old 11-10-2021, 04:35 PM

And it's only Wednesday!!

26 second graders is giving me a run for my money!! Whew! A lot of it is my busy, loud, wiggly student, but...there are still 25 others...

At least tomorrow is Thursday!!

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-10-2021, 06:29 PM

I'm extremely annoyed after hearing that apparently other districts not only get Veteran's Day off, but are now getting Friday off as well! I'm so jealous! I always had Veteran's Day off as a kid but never as a teacher here in CO. And then the news that DPS is starting Thanksgiving break a day early about put me over the edge today.

Earlier this week I was pumped because there were just 2 more weeks until Thanksgiving. Now I'm grumpy and irritated. Jealousy is no good!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-10-2021, 06:37 PM

We get Veterans Day off but not Friday. I have worked my butt of the last two weeks as I just got swamped. Today I finally feel like I am not weeks behind. Of course taking a breather tonight will make me be behind again. That part of the job bites.

Last edited by kahluablast; 11-11-2021 at 07:23 AM..
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 11-10-2021, 07:03 PM

Haley~I have been so busy (and exhausted) that I have not read the news that you posted!! Wow! Is this all due to staff shortages? Sub shortages? Covid?

I did read today that CO has the highest Covid something or other, lol. New cases? (Have I mentioned that I'm exhausted...).

7 work days. You can do it!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-10-2021, 07:40 PM

3 districts have Friday off because of sub shortages. Apparently with Veteran's day off, many teachers took Friday off too and they're saying they're not staffed at safe levels to even provide supervision. I think it's not a good look for teachers, personally. They get Thursday off, very close to the full week off for Thanksgiving, and they take Friday off as well? Just not great optics...I didn't even realize other people were getting tomorrow off. I'd take that!

DPS has a few schools in remote learning this week/next week due to staffing shortages as well. Then they announced today that the entire district would be starting Thanksgiving break a day early, on Friday the 19th, as a way to show appreciation for their staff and encourage "self care." My teammate keeps hoping we'll follow suit. I don't see that happening at all. I'm shocked DPS did it. I bet parents are livid.

As for covid, yeah, it's bad. Last week we were the 5th highest in the country; I haven't heard if that's changed this week. They made some sort of prediction for "peak hospitalizations" that they were warning we would hit in mid-Dec. and it happened like 3 days later. I don't get it. It made sense when the states with low vaccination rates were surging. It doesn't make any sense for us!

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Me!
Old 11-11-2021, 02:37 AM

I emphasize, I have a student with ridiculous attention seeking behaviors. He is exhausting, but unless he is hurting himself or others, I am told to ignore his antics. I have mostly gotten the others to ignore be giving dojo points for ignoring, but I am so over trying to teach while this child calls out bathroom words and makes noises and does whatever he can to make the others laugh.

I. Am. Done.

I took off tomorrow because we are getting our booster shots tonight. I am looking forward to being home sick rather than teach tomorrow. How sad is that?

We can do it, one day at a time. Do we have a choice?!?
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-11-2021, 04:31 AM

Quote:
He is exhausting, but unless he is hurting himself or others, I am told to ignore his antics
Ugh!!! Again, WHERE are the rights of the rest of the class who are trying to learn and having their education disrupted and impacted CONSTANTLY?? But be sure they all do well on the almighty state tests! Meanwhile, be sure to practice self care! ( I wouldn't need to as much if those kids had any real consequences for their sh*t behavior!)

THIS is one of the biggest reasons I am retiring 2 years earlier than I originally planned. I'll be 58 when I leave next June.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 11-11-2021, 05:21 AM

I'm no longer teaching but most of the people I know are exhausted and even a bit depressed as well. Everyone opened up and admitted this at a recent meeting I attended. We thought it was related to the time change and fall's sunless days. I can only imagine how much worse we'd feel if we had the added stress of teaching! Hang in there everyone.
Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-11-2021, 07:37 AM

I don't fault teachers for taking a day off and making a 4 day weekend. We have teachers doing it here, too. I bet half of them spend that day catching up on grading and doing report cards. Ridiculous!

We just got word that classroom teachers will now have to do interventions with every student who did not test "green" on our mandated testing. Not only that, they have to hold meetings with the parents, do a panel of paperwork (about 12 pages, plus document the interventions), upload those into our attendance/student info site, and continue this until the student is green. You know how many students scored green at the beginning of the year? We usually score fairly well, but you know- kids were at home since Covid started. This process was done in the past by a paid person (scheduling and running meetings, overseeing paperwork). Classroom teachers have always intervened with low students, but not necessarily every student who was not green. There are many reasons for students to not be green. The test used for this isn't done by any of the programs we use to teach students being one of them. It is ridiculous!

Eliza- I have had students like that in the past, and I completely sympathize with you. Ridiculous behaviors and impossible to teach or learn in them. Ignoring doesn't work. Attention doesn't work. My last student like that ended up in SPED 100% of the day, which never happened at my school ever. It was incredibly straining every. single. day. Getting to the point where they moved him took way too long and the entire pressure to "fix" the issue was on the classroom teacher. Eventually, the student ended up in a different school in a behavioral program.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 11-11-2021, 07:42 AM

My district does have today off. This is the first time in many years that a school I worked at had off on that day. I also decided to take a mental health day tomorrow because I really need to decompress and I just got my Covid booster shot as well and want to be ready in case I feel under the weather because of it.

jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-11-2021, 10:27 AM

I'm exhausted, too.

When I lived in Iowa, i didn't get this day off. I have all the other places I've lived though.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 11-11-2021, 03:12 PM

Utterly exhausted every day.
Nearly 30 kindergarteners, several with behavior problems,wears me out.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 11-11-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Ugh!!! Again, WHERE are the rights of the rest of the class who are trying to learn and having their education disrupted and impacted CONSTANTLY??
You took the words right out of my mouth. I constantly brought this up at staff meetings, IEP meetings, RTI meetingsÖ. You get the point

As a educator itís infuriating and so frustrating. I canít even imagine as a parent. Itís almost as if your child is being robbed of an education - not to mention if we feel the tension/stress why does Admin think that it doesnít affect the other students. Itís absolutely crazy.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 11-12-2021, 11:56 AM

Tell me if you think Iím exhausted. This was my FB the other day

Quote:
I think Iím putting a new spin on bed hopping! Ten nights, 9 different beds!! All husband approved! 😂😂😂
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 11-12-2021, 07:18 PM

I think I've been exhausted and angry (with our state government) since about June. Nothing they have done has made any sense to anyone with an ounce of commonsense and nothing they have done has worked in any meaningful way. Sydney is having restrictions eased regularly while my little town is getting newer and better retrictions instead. I'm over it, and this close to complying with only what I have to to keep my job.

I'm starting to regret getting vaccinated, if I'm being honest. We were told "Get vaccinated! You'll get your life back". I live in a town that has never seen a case of Covid and work in another. Our nearest bigger town has had seven cases TOTAL in nearly two years. No deaths. The LGA is 95% vaccinated. Our reward for this? Full time masks (Sydney doesn't have that), digital check in everywhere I go (I now sign into school three different ways - and Iam told this information "only for contact tracing" will actually be kept for seven years). I have to show my checkin AND my vaccination certificate to gain entry to KMart, for f***'s sake!

We cannot live like this. And if I know my people, we won't for long.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote