Help

The VENT

Deadlines (again)

>

luvbeagles

Deadlines (again)
Old 11-14-2021, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My students use a program that requires them to use it a specified number of minutes per week. The program discourages procrastination and "cramming" (when they've not completed any or very little minutes of time throughout the week and try to cram all of the minutes in one session). My expectations are for students to complete a certain amount of lessons per week. Each lesson is 10 points, which means they receive a total of 50 points per week. Their week runs Monday - Sunday. They may work on the program at school (they are given class time) or at home. They know this. They have been told this. It is on my webpage. Even though there is a sub in the room (I am out on medical leave for six months), I am sending information several times per week. Now that we are halfway through the second grading period, students are starting to panic because they have not been working on the program regularly and their grades are suffering. Many are receiving zeros for not completing the work (many are not even attempting to log in). They are starting to ask if they can complete double or triple the amount of required lessons per week so that they may "make up" the lessons they did not complete. I am not for this at all. They've been told, emailed, sent reminders, and parents have been emailed with expectations and reminders. I need help drafting a polite message that tells the students that I am not accepting "make up lessons" but they still have enough time in the grading period to increase their overall grade through future assignments in this program and with their work completed in class. (Notice that I said "polite message". I am over it and at this point, I cannot think of a nice way to put this other than: NO. NO, YOU MAY NOT CREATE EXTRA WORK FOR ME JUST BECAUSE YOU WERE LAZY AND REFUSED TO DO WHAT WAS EXPECTED OF YOU.)

luvbeagles is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Deadlines
Old 11-15-2021, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are usually just say no because you were given class time and the sidelines of already past however you can continue to earn points by keeping up with future assignments.

If you get blow back, then you can go back and send a list of the dates for reminders information were given to the class. Weíve had to do that before, especially during remote learning.

We do weekly IXL activities
that reinforce lessons that we have learned during the week or skills that we havenít visited in a while, and several students will wait until the last minute Or just not do it despite being given a lot of class time here and there throughout the week and then wonder why they donít have points.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-15-2021, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Even though there is a sub in the room (I am out on medical leave for six months), I am sending information several times per week.
While I understand your frustration, why are you involved at all if you are out on a 6 month medical leave and have a sub??? The long term sub is the teacher now. That would not be expected or possibly even allowed here.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote