Help

Units of Study

students not applying mini lessons

>

dusty

students not applying mini lessons
Old 12-17-2015, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach first grade and I really need some help. I feel like my writing mini lessons are a complete waste of time because the majority of the students go off to work and are not paying any attention to the lesson. They are not applying anything from my lesson to their independent work unless I sit right with them and pretty much guide them through the lesson all over again but one on one. Please help me figure out how to create a connection between the whole class lesson and the students independently applying the lesson to their written work. I try to involve them as much as possible during the less.
p.s: the same thing happens when I teach a reading lesson and then send them off to read.
thank you

Last edited by dusty; 12-17-2015 at 03:41 PM..
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is a tough one. One thing that works for me (sometimes ) is to invite a student to share when you find that one student who did what you taught. I make a big deal of it: "Wow, do you see how Billybob did that?" I use a LOT of exemplar texts (mostly from former students) in my lessons and I believe the kids listen and absorb the work of 'real' kids far better than what I have to say.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

ACRteach

agree
Old 02-07-2016, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I totally agree that share is so inspiring for kids. So is adding student work samples to your anchor charts. E.g. "Look how Zoe used labels!" Also, asking kids to teach a mini lesson with you is magic, especially for reluctant writers.

I also find that the checklists can help with making students accountable. I usually go over them in small groups so that I can make sure kids are using it in meaningful ways. For small moments books, we actually made little stickers out of labels and had kids put a sticker where they had make their character move, talk, or feel. It definitely increased elaboration! You can use this for any unit!

You could also try a student-run seminar day, where kids who are particularly strong at a particular skill (writing leads, using punctuation, including dialogue, etc) "teach" a small group of kids how to do it. I try to do this once a unit. It's not perfect because they're first graders, but it's a powerful way to get kids motivated and more autonomous.
ACRteach is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 05-21-2016, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
You could also try a student-run seminar day, where kids who are particularly strong at a particular skill (writing leads, using punctuation, including dialogue, etc) "teach" a small group of kids how to do it. I try to do this once a unit.
This is GENIUS! Do you think I have time to fit one in in the 3 weeks before I retire?
I'm sharing your idea with colleagues, thanks!
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote