How do we find our way out of this Covid and how long will it take? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

How do we find our way out of this Covid and how long will it take?

>

knitting987!

Old 08-20-2021, 01:12 PM

What are your thoughts? They are talking about the third vaccine? Are you going to get it. My friend 75 got it. She was very tired 4 days maybe more.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-20-2021, 01:15 PM

Covid is not going away. It is something that we will all have to live with.

My mom got her third shot yesterday. She has a compromised immune system and a lot of underlying health conditions.

I got the J&J vaccine but would get a booster, no questions asked, once recommended by my doctors.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 08-20-2021, 01:28 PM

They will start 8/23 in my county on compromised people. I will be getting mine when I can but I had the J&J. My DSIL said she wants to know how it will effect her getting the flu shot for this year. But she wants the booster too. Trying to decide if my dad should get the booster now but he isn't really compromised, he does have asthma. I might call his doctor on Monday. My mom had the J&J so she too has to wait but will get it when available. My DBIL who was treated for cancer is not able to get it because it hasn't been 8 months since his first shots.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 08-20-2021, 01:30 PM

I have no problem getting the booster and will get it as soon as I am eligible.
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 08-20-2021, 01:31 PM

I tend to get overwhelmed with it. I was looking forward to an ďendĒ and it wonít come since many places range between 35- 50 percent of vaccinated population. No real end in the forecast. As you said. So how do we mentally move forward with that knowledge? I think that is where Iím stuck.

NJ Teacher

BoostersÖ
Old 08-20-2021, 01:31 PM

My doctor included a Covid antibody test as part of my bloodwork.It indicated I still have a high level of antibodies. I had my second Moderna vaccine in late March. When I return again to the doctor in December, he will retest for antibodies again. It will be beyond the 8 month time period, and we will look at the numbers again. If he recommends a booster, I will get it. For now, for me, it is not needed.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 08-20-2021, 01:34 PM

Oh I know an answer. So get the flu shot at least a month away from another vaccine. Yes still get the flu shot. my dh says do flu shots in October. Heís in medical.

Tiamat

Old 08-20-2021, 01:46 PM

I always assumed there would be booster shots. COVID changes and so will the vaccine. We get the flu shot every year with minimal fuss.

I actually havenít had my second shot yet (damn Astra Zeneca with its twelve week wait) but, on what I know now, Iíd have no trouble having a booster
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 08-20-2021, 01:55 PM

Thanks knitting - I just put a flu shot reminder on my calendar for October 1st. It will be 8 monts in November so h*ll yes Im getting my 3rd shot booster. It not logical to say no.
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Old 08-20-2021, 02:08 PM

Yes, I will get a booster if they offer. There are too many unvaccinated teachers in my school who have Covid right now, so now the rest are running out to get vaccinated for the first time.

I know it's not a guarantee either way, but I don't want to risk what I'm seeing with my coworkers.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 08-20-2021, 02:29 PM

Until we immunize the poorer countries, no amount of boosters is going to make this go away. If we can get more people with the initial shots in their arms that would go a long way to ending this. It is going to end up being like a flu shot, you will need one every year.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-20-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I tend to get overwhelmed with it. I was looking forward to an ďendĒ Ö. No real end in the forecast. Ö. So how do we mentally move forward with that knowledge? I think that is where Iím stuck.
This is a perfect summary of how Iím feeling, knitting. I was so hopeful. I really believed, even in the worst times, that we were moving forward. Now weíre masking up again and waiting for boosters. Iím discouraged, too. I canít see an end as long as the ignorant continue to be allowed to infect themselves and others. Iím very sad.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 08-20-2021, 04:02 PM

I didnít realize that the third shot had been finally approved yet much less already administered to some people.

My local news has reported that they anticipate that the third shot will be ready to start being administered around September 20th.

October 20th will be the 8 months mark for me and I will have no problem getting it. I hope my school district has an event like they did for the original shots.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

blueskies96

Old 08-20-2021, 04:23 PM

I will get the booster in November that’s eight months from my second shot. I also am getting the shingles shot even if Medicare doesn’t pay.

I feel anxious because my grandson is nine, back in school and may carry it home. I’m just waiting for his school to close. A neighboring school has already closed due to teachers and staff being ill. I feel like it will last a few more years until they get a immunization program like the flu each year.

My way of coping is to work on my art, it’s an escape where I don’t have to face reality for a little while.
blueskies96 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 08-20-2021, 04:39 PM

I'm sad this is effecting our political leaders at the top to the point that they are failing in their elected duties. Everything is falling apart around us and inflation is soaring.

At the very least we should be having weekly reports at the county level on the Delta virus within the states. I'm hearing NOTHING from our county level health officials where I live.

I just found out today that in my former district entire classes are quarantined for 7 days with positive tests. The siblings, parents, and immediate family members will NOT need to be quarantined.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 08-20-2021, 04:43 PM

There is no way out of it. Thereís only going through it and learning to live with the idea that nature gets to win sometimes. I got the first series, but wonít get the booster. I mightíve considered it bad I not been lied to about the benefits the first time around.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

elsa4409

Me too
Old 08-20-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I tend to get overwhelmed with it. I was looking forward to an ďendĒ Ö. No real end in the forecast. Ö. So how do we mentally move forward with that knowledge? I think that is where Iím stuck.
Quote:
This is a perfect summary of how Iím feeling, knitting. I was so hopeful. I really believed, even in the worst times, that we were moving forward. Now weíre masking up again and waiting for boosters. Iím discouraged, too. I canít see an end as long as the ignorant continue to be allowed to infect themselves and others. Iím very sad.

This is how I'm feeling, too. I have no problem getting the booster shot, but I was looking for an ending at some point.

I understand about it being something that we need to live with, but I don't think we're there yet. There's still so much unknown.

We have been so careful and I'm starting to wonder if we'll feel like throwing caution to the wind at some point because we just want to do stuff again.
elsa4409 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-20-2021, 05:23 PM

Well, I just read that it took 10 years or so to eradicate polio in the Americas, and 184 years to eradicate smallpox (I had no idea!). So it's not going to happen anytime soon. And as long as we have this huge portion of people who feel that they shouldn't be forced to get the vaccine, it's going to keep spreading and mutating and we are just going to keep bouncing back and forth with all of these protocols and mandates. I feel very fortunate that my kids are old enough to be vaccinated, so I don't really worry too much about it. But there are so many people who don't have that luxury.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 08-20-2021, 05:38 PM

I have no problem getting a booster, I get a flu shot every year so I donít see the difference. And Iím fairly confident the vaccine will keep me from getting seriously ill but now Iíve gone from being worried my grandkids will give it to me to being worried Iíll be asymptomatic and give it to them.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

COVID, still
Old 08-20-2021, 05:56 PM

I plan to get the booster shot as soon as Iím eligible. Many tens of thousands of Israelis over fifty have already gotten booster shots, and tests show their immunity increases significantly. The countries that most need vaccine help arenít equipped to handle the cold storage requirements of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines so using them for boosters in the US isnít taking anything away from others. That info was on NPR.

I think the only way to minimize the effects of this virus is to make COVID vaccination a requirement like other vaccines are for school and work. Itís horrifying to think what a fix weíd be in if the polio vaccine were rolled out today with all the anti-vaxxers refusing to get it.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-20-2021, 06:35 PM

Agreed with the others who said it won't end and we need to figure out how we're going to live with it going forward. I just read that last week over 30% of cases in my state were among vaccinated people- and those are just the ones they know about. I know when I got my covid test, I wasn't asked about vaccination status. I'd looked at a few different sites and some places were asking that question while others weren't- it just so happened that the fastest site I could get into wasn't asking. I believe our statewide vaccination rate is 72% right now.

I also just read that a university who mandated vaccines and masking is going virtual again, and the major reason they're citing is that they weren't expecting so many "breakthrough" cases.

I will get the booster, because I figure it can't hurt, but I'm not convinced it's going to make a huge difference either. I do wonder if they'll be making any changes to account for new variants, like they do with the flu shot each year, or is it just more of the same? If it's just another dose of what they gave out last spring, it seems like it won't be that helpful considering we're now dealing with completely different variants. I also read (I keep up on the covid news, ha) that 98% of infections in my state are now delta.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 08-20-2021, 07:09 PM

I donít believe continuing to close schools and businesses is sustainable. Itís time for individuals to decide how to go forward. Continuing to blame others and call them stupid isnít going to make them want to get vaccinated. Itís actually counterproductive. Plus, whether you like it or not, you have to live with those people. Theyíre not going anywhere, so itís time to decide how you will live.

As another poster said, poorer countries are not well-vaccinated, so COVID isnít going anywhere.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-20-2021, 07:10 PM

I see no problem with a booster. I get a flu shot every year and consider it a booster. I'm,ve had other boosters as well over the years.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 08-21-2021, 03:37 AM

I will get it just as I get the flu shot every year. I too am just so discouraged that this school year is what it is. I was so hoping months ago that we could go back to normal. My feelings about returning are so mixed. Not excited but just much sadness as I set up my room with desks 3 feet apart. No more gathering spot, who knows about small group work, etc. I too think it's here to last and we need to figure out a way to live and work with it.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 08-21-2021, 04:15 AM

I got vaccinated, but I am not going to get the booster shot. Since it seems NJ is mandating vaccines for teachers, I might be leaving the teaching profession sooner than I thought.

I agree and feel the same way:

Quote:
I mightíve considered it bad I not been lied to about the benefits the first time around.
I also agree with this:

Quote:
I donít believe continuing to close schools and businesses is sustainable. Itís time for individuals to decide how to go forward. Continuing to blame others and call them stupid isnít going to make them want to get vaccinated. Itís actually counterproductive.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

faith in the future
Old 08-21-2021, 06:20 AM

Yes, I'm getting the booster. And I guess I'm one of the few ones on here that think we'll eventually conquer this thing. My estimate for when has been stretched out, but I have faith that medical science will keep evolving and we'll be able to solve this problem.

I don't think changing the way we do business until that time is a bad thing. People should be vaccinated and should wear masks. Screens should be up between customer and service person. Schools should have an Internet option available for all students. People should be screened for communicable diseases before they interact with the public.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 08-21-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Well, I just read that it took 10 years or so to eradicate polio in the Americas, and 184 years to eradicate smallpox (I had no idea!). So it's not going to happen anytime soon.
It won't happen in a week, but I do think it will happen and in less time than those simply because science has advanced so much since polio and smallpox.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 08-21-2021, 06:46 AM

I will be getting my booster shot as soon as I am eligible and can find a spot to get it.

I always expected booster shots. Itís a mutating virus. We have yearly flu vaccines so yearly Covid vaccines would not be out of the ordinary. Perhaps there will eventually be different doses for the elderly as we do with the flu, too.

I have never thought I was lied to. The goal has always been to prevent people from dying and keep people out of hospitals. The current vaccines do this.

Your body ó your choice. But, unless things change vaccine requirements are starting to happen. This week U of Virginia disenrolled some unvaccinated students. Some concerts are requiring vaccinations. Some employers have put in vaccination requirements. Your body ó your choice. Choices for you and for society.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

Old 08-21-2021, 07:13 AM

I will get the booster. A colleagueís father passed away yesterday from Covid. He was unvaccinated. I feel for them all and wonder if the rest of his family will get the vaccine now.

I hope that they continue to get the vaccine to all countries to help stop the mutations. I know of someone who is a smoker, has a smokerís cough and believes in her immune system so refuses to get the vaccine. Her 4 family members also refuse to get it. I do believe not pushing it because they will dig their heels in deeper to prove their point. It seems maybe once they really realize it is the unvaccinated who are getting sick and going to the hospital that they will change their minds? The stories I hear is that when it strikes close to homeÖthen they get the vaccine.
calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

For me,
Old 08-21-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
For me, it is the unknown that is frustrating. I have this underlying anxiety as though I am "waiting for the other shoe to drop..." so to speak. I am not always aware of the anxiety until something brings it to my attention.

Truthfully, I think a lot of us (the universal us) are going through this.

I need to somehow face that this is the "new normal" and work through this. I am not sure how to go about it just yet but I think that realizing it is there is a good first step.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote