Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Bathroom Redo: Expectations vs Reality

>

eagles23

Bathroom Redo: Expectations vs Reality
Old 10-08-2021, 07:25 PM

I am on Fall Break and planned to update my master bath. I have wallpaper to replace the border that I hung when we bought the house in 1999. (I know- it is beyond time for an update!!). The bathroom is tiny and my expectation was that I would get the border started in one corner and I would just turn a circle in the middle of the room while the paper peeled off the four walls with one tug. The jokes on me because that is NOT what happened! They apparently made wallpaper to last back in the day because it has been coming off in pieces ranging from post-it size to postage stamp or smaller. The backing seems to be permanent and I am just about to the point of slapping the new paper over what is left!! If you have a tried and true method to remove this demon stuff, please share!! (I have scored the paper, soaked it with a water/vinegar solution, sponged on hot water, used a scraper, and was using my fingernails before they broke!) I am done for tonight!!

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 10-08-2021, 07:30 PM

You need a wall paper steamer.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 10-08-2021, 08:12 PM

My sister in law swears by fabric softener. I think she mixes it with water. "It makers water wetter."
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 10-09-2021, 02:38 AM

I just had a contractor in to discuss removing the wallpaper in my kitchen and he said the price depends on how it was put up, because if it was applied properly, it should come off easily. However, if it wasn't, it is very labor intensive and the walls might need to be repaired.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-09-2021, 04:44 AM

Bathrooms have tight spaces and water vapor so the glue is extra tight on the walls. We bought a steamer and the process was easier. Unfortunately the walls had to be retextured . This is an entirely different task often needing a professional.

Last edited by anna; 10-09-2021 at 07:49 AM..
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 10-09-2021, 05:08 AM

A couple years after we moved in I removed wallpaper from the whole kitchen. It was a process. What worked best for me: peel what you can, score it, spray DIF, scrape. You may need to repeat the score, spray and scrape. Try to be patient with the process or you could pull drywall with the paper. The paper has to be wet. And you need to give the DIF time to work.
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 10-09-2021, 07:00 AM

Wallpaper steamer, best $40 I ever spent.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 10-09-2021, 07:01 AM

I just helped my sister with this same job. After two or them red passes we got it all of. Spray, scrape, sponge wash with vinegar water, repeat. Change the water frequently and keep it hot. Keep at it, you’ll get it off.
wildflowerz is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

LOL. I don't envy you at all
Old 10-09-2021, 07:36 AM

My mom bought a home two years ago that hasn't been updated since the late 1980's-- kinda "Funeral home chic" as it were...

We walked in the living room to see floor to ceiling, wall to wall wallpapering... Textured wall paper with contrasting designs. Think pink, rose, and silver vertical stripes of varying widths on two walls--silvery white with big pink and rose floral on one and smaller coordinating silver, pink, and rose floral on the remaining wall. The window treatments were those big, boxy pleated (gray slate colored) curtains over true white sheers. The other rooms are similarly done in other color schemes.

It is beautiful but VERY outdated. In order to move in more quickly, mom washed down the walls and only replaced the carpet at the time.

Now, she is ready to update the walls. Ugghh. I may try to convince her I like it. Kind of a 'Dallas' throwback... for those of you old enough to remember that TV show.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 10-09-2021, 08:30 AM

Ugh! We have very little wallpaper in our house (kitchen, hall, one bathroom). It's going! Hooray. And a contractor is removing it! There will almost certainly need to be some repairing of walls. Oh, and some of the kitchen has face brick (maybe 1/2 inch thick bricks) that is also being removed.

I'm so looking forward to the update. And to having someone else do it. But it sure would have been cheaper to do it ourselves.

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote