Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Embarrassing confession time

>

twinmom95

Embarrassing confession time
Old 10-09-2021, 07:56 AM

I have always tried to make my 100+ year old house " presentable", but I'm not into frequent deep cleaning ( or maybe even somewhat shallow cleaning sometimes )

We have been empty nesters for 7 years. 2 bedrooms upstairs get used a couple times a year when the " kids" visit. They have area rugs that cover maybe 70% of the floor. So.....unused rooms can't possibly need regular vacuuming is my logic, and why lug the vacuum upstairs JUST for my room??? ( you see where this is going, right??)

Last weekend when doing my weekly downstairs vacuuming ( I'm not a TOTAL slob!) I realized my Shark wasn't sucking stuff up as well. I tried clearing the hose and then thought to check the filters. Yep, there was a " nice" thick layer of dust/dirt on them, so I washed them out. ( no idea how long it had been)

Fast forward to today when Mom is coming for the weekend. Nothing says " move your butt and vacuum upstairs" like a parent visit. Well, between the nice clean filters which I think now gives the Shark the ability to suck stuff out of the core of the Earth, and a couple months of one tiny 6lb cat hanging out in the bedrooms a few hours a day, I swear I filled a 30 gallon trash bag with cat hair and dirt!! It was mortifying!!
( okay, maybe I filled the canister twice )

So what embarrassing thing would you like to share???

Last edited by twinmom95; 10-09-2021 at 08:29 AM..
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Old 10-09-2021, 08:03 AM

When my older son moved out, I painted his room a nice, cheery yellow (I was sad he had moved.) I noticed that I had painted over a random thumbtack that was stuck in wall. I saw it whenever I sat at my desk (I use his room as my “office.” )

I finally took out the thumbtack and touched up the little spot this last summer. It only took me 7 years to get to it.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 10-09-2021, 08:07 AM

There are 4 containers in the fridge that Iím terrified to open. Maybe this weekend.
Teddi9192 is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 10-09-2021, 08:25 AM

These are cracking me up ! ( and making me feel better! )

TAOEP

Old 10-09-2021, 08:33 AM

I'm going through (and discarding) magazines from 2013. Why are they still in my house?

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 10-09-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
There are 4 containers in the fridge that Iím terrified to open. Maybe this weekend.
At the peak of my COVID lockdown cabin fever, I took everything out of the fridge, including the shelves and drawers and cleaned EVERYTHING. I wiped down every condiment and jam in there, cleaned the seals around the door, vacuumed the coils on the back. It was me against the grime and I was victorious.

Until I saw the containers. Two Rubbermaid Food Savers that were growing something green and liquid with possible fuzz of some sort. To open them would've meant performing some sort of odor exorcism after, so they went straight out to the trash. I then ordered replacements on amazon. DH would've opened them, so I had to do it.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

When we became empty nesters,
Old 10-09-2021, 08:44 AM

Our two of our four bedrooms became storage for clutter. When we need one of the rooms for guests, we move everything to the other one, and vise versa.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-09-2021, 08:58 AM

Not too long ago, I threw away the classified (job listings) from the 1990's. Yeah, my dh... He has not yet figured out that I did so.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-09-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Nothing says " move your butt and vacuum upstairs" like a parent visit.
I can so relate to this! My parents were here a couple of weeks ago and my house has never been so clean!

I'm not a hoarder at home at all. I throw away everything. I hate clutter. My classroom is a different story. I'm afraid to throw away anything because you never know when you might need it! Things are constantly changing as far as expectations, new "things" to focus on for the year, etc. so it doesn't really work to say, "Well I haven't used this in a few years, so it can go." And I've regretted things I've finally parted with as well, which doesn't help. Somehow a year or two later, a need for that thing pops up.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 10-09-2021, 09:12 AM

I am SO glad I am not the only one who doesn't have housecleaning at the top of one's priority list! I hate cleaning. My mom hated cleaning. There are so many other fun and engaging things to do.

Like Linda, I move "clutter" from one room to another if I have guests. Every so often, I'll clean the clutter and have all clean bedrooms. However, it doesn't last long, lol.

I know I have quite a few embarrassing stories. I just can't think of any (other than the one that mirrors Linda's) because truly, I am the ONLY one I know of in my circle of friends/aquaintances, that hates cleaning!! So, thank you for sharing!!

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-09-2021, 09:20 AM

My embarrassing confessions . . .
  • sometimes my toilet looks so bad that if I went to a public restroom that looked that bad Iíd leave without using it
  • one of the dogs peed on the bath rug, and I stepped around the spot for two days
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Mine...
Old 10-09-2021, 09:32 AM

It's 1:30 in the afternoon. I'm still in my jammies with no bra on.

There are "SassyTeach" hairballs on my floor that have been there for weeks.

I haven't vacuumed in...🤔 🤷🏻#♀️

You could write a novel in the dust on my furniture.

My G.A.S. factor is pretty non-existent.

These are fun!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-09-2021, 09:45 AM

My former toilet can relate to Ima's toilet. We have a much better routine in our new house, though, and the toilet gets regular love (cleaning).

I also know I don't wash my sheets enough, and I never make my bed.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Embarrassing
Old 10-09-2021, 10:05 AM

I was 40-something years old before I realized you need to move the kitchen appliances to deep clean.

Kind of embarrassing when the new appliances were delivered.

One of the few times I wish I had some one around to move heavy things.

But then none of my exes would have been able or willing to do it.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Moving appliances
Old 10-09-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I was 40-something years old before I realized you need to move the kitchen appliances to deep clean.
Iíve known that for awhile, I just donít care. I move my fridge if I paint my kitchen, and my stoveÖ.never! If I canít see the crud I can ignore it, and when we replace our stove, I wonít really care what the appliance guy thinks.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-09-2021, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Kind of embarrassing when the new appliances were delivered.
I didnít know people did that! Iíve only ever cleaned behind appliances when theyíre replaced. I guess Iíll have to live with that embarrassment.

Iím occasionally (okay, fine, frequently) embarrassed when I see a neighbor as Iím heading for the trash chute in my jammies and itís 3:00 in the afternoon. But a little embarrassment doesnít counteract comfort.

I used to be embarrassed when homeowners caught me (literally) smelling their roses. Now I know theyíre happy to share.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 10-09-2021, 10:48 AM

DS has been out of the house for seven years now. Home for a weekend here and there and holidays. During COVID I made one of my projects to clean out his room, give away the bunk beds and move the extra bed upstairs so DH could have a proper office downstairs. The stuff I found in there, oh-my! Since we did so much work on the house this year I’m making a real effort to stay on top of things!
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 10-09-2021, 11:05 AM

Update...when I said " presentable", I wasn't including the small awkward 4th room upstairs that is too small for a bedroom plus has the stairs from the kitchen rising into it. There are only a few small closets in the whole house, so that room is officially a junk/ catch all room

MKat

Old 10-09-2021, 01:03 PM

People move their appliances to clean? That will never happen here! I do get upset if, for some reason dh has to move the appliances and he does so without taking the opportunity to clean or calling me to do it.

I used to get mad at him the same way for light bulbs. I never replaced them without at least cleaning the fixtures at the same time and would be irritated if he did. (I caught him changing the light bulb in a hallway and literally putting the shade right back up with a dead fly in it!) Now that light bulbs don't get replaced very often I actually have to go out of my way to dust/clean them.
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 10-09-2021, 01:32 PM

Gee, Iíve never felt so understood

I can relate to sooooo many of your stories.

- we have the extra/spare clutter, storage, ďquick throw it in the room companyís comingĒ room

- once we were having our bedroom redone and the guy hit a wire in a shared wall with our bedroom and needed to go in our bedroom to check the wire Of course our bedroom was a disaster and I was soooooooo embarrassed. I had thoroughly intended to keep my bedroom door closed the entire remodel.

Thereís def more but canít remember at the moment.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-09-2021, 02:10 PM

Oh please you guys are amateurs.

1) I maintain there are 3 types of cleaning: normal cleaning, company cleaning, and holy crap, my mom is coming to visit cleaning.

2) Itís 5:00. I woke up at 1:00, went grocery shopping, came home, took my bra off and am now watching ďMacGyverĒ. Have I mentioned how hot I think George Eads is?

3) I hit a wall with the house. Havenít painted, hung up pictures or anything else. And all my classroom stuff I had to move out is sitting in boxes in a bedroom.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

LaFish

Old 10-09-2021, 02:16 PM

I can relate to so many of theses moments.

I quickly washed my car and noticed the time. I realized that I needed to leave soon for an appointment. Not wanting to take my freshly clean car, I took DHís truck instead. When I came back from my appointment, my tennis shoes, hat, and socks were in the driveway. My neighbor said that when I left earlier my shoes, socks, and hat were flying off the back of the truck. He tried to get my attention but I just waved back. He kindly picked up my things and placed them in the driveway for me. I forgot I put those things on the bumper of the truck to dry!
LaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Housekeeping embarrassments
Old 10-09-2021, 02:21 PM

I have a garage built for two cars and a golf cart. Only one car can fit into it. It’s a good thing I live alone! The garage is my extra storage room for clutter and anything else I may want out of sight.

I comfort myself with this thought: No one about to die ever regretted not spending more time doing housework.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 10-09-2021, 03:15 PM

I had a very similar vacuuming situation. We only have carpet in our bedroom and in our finished basement. When we moved in 6 years ago, we had a cheap vacuum that didn't work great, and it gradually died. I eventually pretty much stopped vacuuming (or making my husband vacuum) because it was so ineffective it didn't really make much difference. I got a Dyson for Christmas last year and I am absolutely disgusted by what it picks up. I have committed to vacuuming weekly just to try to tackle the build up. I am sure it's still sucking up cat hair and we haven't had a cat for 3 years.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 10-09-2021, 04:23 PM

Current situation - all those tiny scraps of paper I scraped off the wall earlier are still all over the bathroom floor, cabinet, window sill, and any other place they happened to fall. I said I was waiting for them to dry before I swept them up, but really I just needed to get out of that room!! I would just leave them if I didn't need to get in there before I go to bed.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Alas
Old 10-09-2021, 06:55 PM

Even though I have a moratorium for the adults in my house to NOT place any more things in the storage shed it is ready to collapse. It has a cement and wood foundation but with erosion underneath coupled with weight from 2 cords of oak logs and heavy storage the floor is rising. The roof still looks great but the paint and door and ready to fall off too. There are so many opinions on what to do. But no-one is willing to do it.
luvtulearn is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-09-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not doing that . I'm afraid I'll scratch the floors or break something. If I can't see it, I don't worry about it! I got a new fridge last winter. I frantically cleaned behind it when they removed the old one. From what was back there, I'm guessing the previous owners never pulled it out and cleaned either.

Also thought of something else along the lines of not seeing it/not worrying about it- I've never opened my attic and have no plans to. I don't want to know what's up there! The inspector looked when I bought the house and that's good enough for me!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 10-09-2021, 07:40 PM

Ima, so funny!

Ruby, my garage is like yours, if not worse. I think about cleaning and organizing it all the time, but it's so overwhelming I look around and just go inside the house.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 10-09-2021, 09:35 PM

We’ve been in this house 12 years and had to do a lot of remodeling when we moved in. We did most of it ourselves to save money, and it was a b!tch.

We ran out of steam when we got the big projects done. The baseboards have never been put down in DS’s room and our room. They’re still in the garage.
checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

I am refinancing my mortgage
Old 10-10-2021, 05:59 AM

I am refinancing my mortgage and the appraiser came last week. I cleaned the upstairs before she came. However, I was mortified when she went into the basement, which is unfinished. I have junk EVERYWHERE. Plastic bins of holiday decorations, boxes and bins of school stuff for grades I no longer teach, laundry waiting to be done, out of season clothes and stuff left by the previous owner. Nothing is organized, just boxes and bins everywhere. The only time I go to the basement is to do laundry or get holiday decorations.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 10-10-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I would just throw them out!
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote