No One Wants A to Z Teacher Stuff? Other Suggestions? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

No One Wants A to Z Teacher Stuff? Other Suggestions?

>

MAsped

No One Wants A to Z Teacher Stuff? Other Suggestions?
Old 10-14-2021, 05:46 AM

https://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/index.php

I see that we still have time to stay on THIS board, but when it's over (so far it seems till May 2022 so we still have time), does no one want to go over to A to Z Teacher Stuff? Didn't some of you come from there too? At least things are already categorized similarly.

Otherwise, I see people have started FB and Reddit boards. Some people may never want to show their real name though. (Is that the only option on FB?) What about Slack? That's another option.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-14-2021, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Some people may never want to show their real name though.
Then thatís entirely their right. However, the thing I LOVE about the new FB group is that we share our identities and are therefore quite honest and accountable in our posts. I realize the new teacher group isnít for everyone, so itís a good thing there are so many options for you.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-14-2021, 06:10 AM

^ You're absolutely right...not implying that there's anything wrong with showing one's real name or not wanting to show it, etc. Everyone does them.

anna

Old 10-14-2021, 06:15 AM

There's no wrong in wherever you choose to post. Honesty and dishonesty is not tied to whether or not your real identity is revealed on social media. You will find both on all social media.I hope you find what you are looking for and enjoy it.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-14-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
There's no wrong in wherever you choose to post.
I disagree, anna. Well, perhaps not ďwrong,Ē but Iíve been on the receiving end of some nastiness at PT, posters who hid behind anonymity. Iím sure there are ways to circumvent disclosure at FB, but itís more of a challenge than at PT, and it is my personal opinion that when posters use their real names, they are more thoughtful. JMO.

This is not to say I wonít miss PT, I certainly will.

cruxian

Old 10-14-2021, 07:00 AM

I think there's an element of....something in the anonymity. Sometimes I miss being able to share things without people knowing my real name. I also miss the organization of PT in terms of certain boards being for certain subjects....but even that's been ending recently with posts related to teaching popping up more often in the Teachers Lounge.
People can be very ruthless at times on PT and there can be an element of piling on sometimes with anonymity. I left for several months once because I made a post once to the effect of asking if my DD could change math classes and was slammed by people essentially saying I was a horrible mom. It was during the pandemic, she was learning remotely DD struggles with math and it was a horrible fit teaching wise. I was venting my frustration with the situation while not criticizing the teacher. Reactions were ruthless and rude and kinda hurtful in a way that I doubt they'd have been if they put a face with who they were saying it to.
OTOH, I've seen people be overly sensitive too.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-14-2021, 07:13 AM

I agree with your analysis cruxian.There are problems no matter which way you choose to use social media. People can manipulate social media to be whatever they want to be and say whatever they want to say. The benefit of anonymously using the internet for many is to protect privacy and draw boundaries. This does not always mean that these anons will be lying about themselves and practicing poor behaviors. Safety is my first concern while on the internet.

anna

Old 10-14-2021, 07:24 AM

Many of us have been treated poorly on social media and this is exactly why I choose to reveal my identity and details of my personal life to so few people unless I meet them in person. We really do not know people well by chatting only online. Safety first . I will miss everyone here and have made many chat friends that I wouldn't mind meeting in person Maybe someday I will ! Good luck to everyone as we navigate the rapidly changing social media outlets.

WordFountain

Old 10-14-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
The benefit of anonymously using the internet for many is protect privacy and draw boundaries. This does not always mean that these anons will be lying about themselves and practicing poor behaviors. Safety is my first concern while on the internet.
I agree that anonymity can sometimes lead to unkind things (I seen it in PT as well as other social media) but my primary reason for wanting to remain anonymous (and a big reason why I donít use or want FB) is what anna said.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 10-14-2021, 07:40 AM

The window for using PT safely is closing fast with the Malware. I am sad that we are splitting into 2 groups because first and foremost, we're teachers. Our job is tremendously difficult, although rewarding, and it's become much more difficult with the pandemic. We need to support each other. Teachers understand each other in a way that a non teacher can't, no matter how well meaning the person may be. I guess that can be said for any profession.

I'm willing to try another site if we can find one. And I'll still stay on Reddit. It's shaping up to be a positive, uplifting, and supportive place!

Wherever you end up (Reddit, FB or ?), I wish you only the best!

KetchupChips is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-14-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Teachers understand each other in a way that a non teacher can't, no matter how well meaning the person may be.
If I were on FB youíd see applause. I assume youíre including those of us who are retired teachers. I like your post KetchupChips.
Quote:
Reactions were ruthless and rude and kinda hurtful in a way that I doubt they'd have been if they put a face with who they were saying it to.
That has been my experience, too, cruxian.
Quote:
I will miss everyone here and have made many chat friends that I wouldn't mind meeting in person
Youíre much more generous than I am, anna. There are a couple of posters I wonít miss, but there are a lot of posters Iíll bet I could be friend with irlóincluding you.

KingbirdQueen

Old 10-14-2021, 08:39 AM

I am lucky. I only ever had a problem with one person, and while they would say mean things and delete so others couldnít see it or say horrible things in PMs, it helped me to learn patience and grace . So even if I wonít miss everyone, I did get many valuable experiences even from people who are less than kind.
KingbirdQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

fb
Old 10-14-2021, 10:06 AM

Just keep in mind that knowing a person's real name doesn't mean that people will always be kind. There was a member here who had to leave because she got outed and someone found her school and harassed her there. I hope the fb group works out for everyone the way they hope it will but I'd advise being a little more discreet with school/colleague/family vents.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 10-14-2021, 11:09 AM

Good points, Pooh.

PPCDTeacher

Old 10-14-2021, 03:06 PM

I tried posting on a to z years ago a few times. If I remember correctly, the board moved so slowly that people rarely responded to anyone. There were posts from years and years ago on the first page. I always thought the site had good potential, though.
PPCDTeacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Good bye, PT
Old 10-14-2021, 04:40 PM

I'm really going to miss PT. I joined the Facebook group, but I don't know how much I will post there. I like the way the board is organized, and I'm not a fan of facebook personally. My account name isn't even my real name.... I like staying private.

Are there any free servers where we could start our own message board?
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-14-2021, 05:45 PM

I am considering starting a different FB account using a fake name and different email address than the one I use for personal stuff.

I wanted to do that before - after the pandemic there seemed to be a lot more sharing on some of my professional FB pages... i would like to not have that on my personal account, but was too lazy. This might push me that direction. But, I am not sure. FB doesn't have the same feel, and although most of the time I don't mind saying what I have shared on PT in a more open forum, but there are definitely things I would like to not have immediate "proof" that I said them. So, I am not sure where I sit on t his issue. Will see how thing fall in the long run. I have been trying to pull back a little on my PT dependence for a while.. It is hard though.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 10-15-2021, 01:57 AM

You can easily create a fake Facebook account. You can remain completely anonymous on Facebook. I have one for certain Facebook groups Iím in.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-15-2021, 05:40 AM

Thank you everyone for commenting! I'm sure we all hope this isn't the end, but you never know what's going to happen.

I'll still keep coming back here for as long as I can to check!

I personally started liking THIS board over AtoZ long, long ago. I just thought that was a similar alternative just in case this one goes since that one's already up and running.

KetchupChips

Old 10-15-2021, 05:58 AM

I think there is interest in another teacher site for us all to gather in one place. However, somebody needs to take the lead and get it going.

MAsped

Old 10-15-2021, 06:29 AM

KetchipChips, what other site suggestions are there? So far, I know:

Reddit
FB

Again, I've brought up Slack as a possibility, but don't know how to create one. I could try to learn IF it's free, but that may have to be on the back burner of other things I'm doing these days and I'm about to get busier realy soon!

KetchupChips

Old 10-15-2021, 07:09 AM

I'm busy, busy with Reddit. I've not heard about Slack so nothing to add. It seems like the easiest way forward would be to use a site that already exists unless it's full of drama or toxicity. I like your suggestion of A to Z teacher stuff since it has a similar organization. There have been other suggestions but people mentioned why they didn't like them or that the site shut down. It gives good insight on sites to avoid.

Perhaps you could recruit a few others to help you get it going. A small group would be ideal. Unless you just put it out there to head to the site and we go without keeping a cohesive group or having an identifier such as PTMAsped.

Good luck!

luvtulearn

???? Please share
Old 10-15-2021, 07:48 AM

Can someone please direct me to the post or thread that states the end of pt is May 2022? I haven't been on for a few days due to scheduling but I would surely appreciate it.

I noticed something was odd a few months ago when I no longer could access pt through Google Chrome. I needed to use Safari.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 10-15-2021, 07:55 AM

KetchupChips, I've got some things going on already, so I don't know. If I can do anything I'll certainly say so.

luvtulearn, somona said it here:
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=654852