Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Signing up to sub

>

WalkDontRun

Signing up to sub
Old 11-04-2021, 07:40 AM

My old district is holding an open house today to encourage people to sign up to sub. Its an easy process especially for retired former employees like me. I always intended to sub a bit but I retired during COVID and that changed things.

Now Im not sure I want the hassle and stress but am thinking I could try it out and see. They are paying $205 a day for retirees which is enticing. Hopefully I wont talk myself out of it by this afternoon

WalkDontRun is online now   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 11-04-2021, 09:39 AM

I might be enticed for that amount of money to sub. No way would I sub in my old district. For former employees the pay is $115, for certified teachers $105, and for non-certified with 60 credits and a 2.0 gpa the pay is $95. And in the district I live in they only pay $85 a day across the board. I could make more money working at Target, Lowes, and other places for the same amount of hours. Until districts across the country value subs and up the pay, they will continue to struggle to find anyone that will accept open sub positions.
gradymidget is online now   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 11-04-2021, 01:26 PM

$205 is great sub pay!! No harm in giving it a try - if you don't like it you can stop taking the jobs. I think at this point in the year the kids are more used to the routines and the schools have all the COVID protocols down, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

You would be doing a wonderful thing. The sub shortage is such a huge issue.
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Old 11-04-2021, 01:54 PM

Wow $200/day is a lot. Id def give it a try for that amount. Worse case scenario you just dont do it again.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Can't hurt to try
Old 11-04-2021, 07:15 PM

I have been subbing since Sept. 29 and boy are they in need. I honestly wanted to sub only 2-3 days per week max but I got sucked in to 3-4 days. With commuting 100 miles a day I'm very busy. The pay is $250 per day and sped ed. and long term are even more. The down side is the road work on a long stretch of the freeway can be daunting. Today there was an accident and the drive was 2 hours and 10 min. Would you believe at this price they are still desperate for subs?

I know it's because of the terrible extension of the freeway. After doing this commute for 22 years I have NEVER seen it anywhere close to this.

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 11-05-2021, 02:12 AM

My district seems to be so proud of themselves that they JUST raised the pay to $100 a day and think that will solve their problem of finding subs. It won't. The district next to us has been paying $125 for years. We are the largest district in this part of the state.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote