Preferred Chain stores for gifts? (not online) - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Preferred Chain stores for gifts? (not online)

>

Risa

Preferred Chain stores for gifts? (not online)
Old 11-17-2021, 05:57 PM

For reasons I won't go into, I do not use online shopping. I realize there may be better bargains and greater selections online, but there are reasons beyond my control that prohibit me from using online sources.

Sooo... this post is directed to those (last few?) who actually use 'brick and mortar' stores to shop for what they need:

A few weeks ago I requested toy suggestions for active young boys. Since then, I've tried to track them down in 'brick and mortar' stores to no avail, so a few questions occurred to me:

(1) If you physically go to stores to shop for gifts, what are typically good stores for buying children's toys? (These are the times I wish Toys R Us was still around.)

(2) Also, for general gifts, what are your favorite 'brick and mortar' stores (that could be found around the country)? Your 'go to' stores...

And... one more question... for those who might have a better idea for search terms that will get me to actual stores and not specifically online availability?

(3) When doing an online search, is it possible to search for items found only 'brick and mortar' stores? Is there a way I could word it to avoid online sites?

Thanks to all of you who are still reading and posting to PT's Teachers Lounge!

P.S. Is there a better term to use rather than 'brick and mortar' stores to refer to an actual physical store in a building?

Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

brooks56

Stores
Old 11-17-2021, 06:24 PM

I still shop t brick and mortar stores almost every week. My favorites are Home Goods, Marshalls, and Tuesday Morning. For young boys I'm not sure which stores are best, but TJ Max has some good toys for very young boys and even Kohls. I was just at Tanger Outlets and they had a store called As seen on tv that had some good kid gifts.
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-17-2021, 06:30 PM

No kids, so I'm sure others have better suggestions for toys, but big box stores like Walmart and Target definitely sell toys in their brick and mortar stores. Just depends on what you're looking for specifically. If you're looking at a store's website, typically there will be some sort of "apply filters" section you can click. In that section "in store" or something similar should pop up as an option for you to click. Then it will show you only options that are available for in person purchases. You should further be able to see if a specific item you want is at your local store (or if it's at another store which may be a reasonable driving distance).

For general gifts, my go-to stores if I'm on a time constraint and need to buy in person are Target and Kohls. I've also occasionally found things at the Hallmark store.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 11-17-2021, 06:41 PM

Costco & Target have a good selection of toys. I like Home Goods for decor gifts and Michaels or Joanís for arts & crafts. I donít know where you live but most downtown areas have specialty shops with more unique gifts.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

cabernet

Old 11-17-2021, 06:47 PM

Target is very good for an array of toys. Kohls actually has toys too. Those are two stores that I do shop for gifts. I found some cute fuzzy socks at Target.
I think Target and Walmart are using their own way of shipping merchandise so they may have more than other locations.
I just read that toys r us is going to be in Macys starting 2022. That doesnít help you now, but hopefully, next year.

Hopefully you get an answer about searching only brick and mortar.

cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 11-17-2021, 07:53 PM

I think one way for you to search online is to go to the actual storesí website. If you search Targetís site, it will tell you if the item is available in a store near you. Kohls , Macyís and Walmart are the same.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 11-17-2021, 07:54 PM

For kids clothes Old Navy is a good go to. Prices are reasonable and they have most of what kids wear these days, Target usually has a good toy selection. They also have sporting goods and art type stuff.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 11-17-2021, 07:57 PM

Learning Express has toys. It has brick and mortar stores around the United States.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

Funnystory

Old 11-18-2021, 04:35 AM

Toys - Target

Gift shopping -
Marshallís
Tuesday Morning
Bath and Body Works
Barnes & Noble
World Market

Independent shops, boutiques, book shops in downtown areas are always fun especially when decorated for the holidays - I can usually find more collectables and decor items that are unique and it gets me in the holiday spirit
Funnystory is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-18-2021, 06:51 AM

I also echo Target and Barnes and Noble for toys and gifts. We have a shopping mall near us that has a lot of bricks and mortar stores and there's a Lego store there and a Build-A-Bear workshop that also sell children's toys. I'm not sure where you live but if there's any way to get to the small independent stores I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you could shop there. I know of a couple of independent toy stores that may be slightly inconvenient but I'd go out of my way to go there.

cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

Risa

Shopping in stores
Old 11-18-2021, 08:10 AM

Thanks for all your replies! Having had so many PTers move to FB or Reddit, I actually thought I might get, maybe, one or two comments, so I'm thrilled that many more added their thoughts.

I agree with and have already been to most of the stores you've suggested. In particular, I went to Target because I knew I'd be able to search their inventory by title to see if specific items are available. I looked up all of the toys that were suggested in my previous post but none were available. I didn't consider that I could check store websites and filter out 'online availability' so that will be my next attempt.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post your suggestions!
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 11-18-2021, 08:14 AM

If you search a store online you can do the pickup at store option. It will let you know if the item you want is on hand at different locations.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

where to find stores
Old 11-18-2021, 08:56 AM

Some of the locally owned stores pop up when I add the city to "toy store" or "cooking store". Then, if it was something specific that you heard of, you could call and ask if they have it.

Example:

"Walla Walla Washington toy store" came up with a very cool looking store called "Inland Octopus".

(I used Walla Walla because I like the town's name. I live nowhere near there, but I have been there.)
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 11-19-2021, 03:57 PM

My go to's are Target, Kohl's, Bed, Bath and Beyond.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote